GP BIKES 2014 Trackdays | GTAMotorcycle.com

GP BIKES 2014 Trackdays

Gpbikes

Dealer/Vendor
Site Supporter
:p I am pleased to announce our annual trackdays again for this season on a brand new better designed and more thrilling track.
Our mission is to provide a fun and safe day for everyone. Track time is an amazing way to better your skill and get more familiar with your bike.
It also is more controlled then the street. We offer one on one coaching for any person who asks at no cost we will be providing BBQ lunch hosted by Tattered Tiaras and the cost per day is $190.00 plus taxes
the dates are as follows.
Monday May 19th 2014 Victoria monday
Tuesday July 1st 2014 Canada day
Monday September 1st 2014 Labor day
All these days are held at the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (rider development track) and run rain or shine
You can register by contacting jeff@gpbikes.com or by phone 905 428 8983 or by registering online at www.gpbikes.com

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting started with track days this year. Can you tell me what prep needs to be performed on the bike ahead of time? What are the items that your inspectors look for?

I'm thinking about getting started with track days this year. Can you tell me what prep needs to be performed on the bike ahead of time? What are the items that your inspectors look for?

For technical requirements, you should contact GPbikes directly (try Jeff). I'm in the same boat as you, and was in the store last week talking with them about GPBikes track days.

Based on what they told me; they have less technical requirements then some other track day organizers.

I suppose you could use the Riders Choice information as a guideline? (http://www.riderschoice.ca/track-day)

***I have no experience or affiliation with either of these organizations. Just what I've found/learned***

If I can comment - Technical requirements are not only so you can participate on a "specific" track day provider event, they are for your safety and everyone else participating on the same track day.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you forget what the minimal requirements are for a specific provider and safety your bike to the highest standards so you don't lose your life due to a technical or safety problem.

Let me give you an example, most track providers don't require that you safety wire your bike! with the speeds and the vibration of the bike at certain speeds I would not dare to go out to any track day without safety wiring at least the most important parts of my bike like brake lines, the rear wheel bolt etc

I would follow these specifications, some of you will say they are not necessary but nothing in life is necessary until it is
http://www.soaracing.ca/html/rulebook.html

Another example - Brake Guards are not required on a track day, they are necessary for racing. They are a good idea because while you are riding someone can by mistake go wide and with his elbow touch your brake lever and cause you to car-wheel

See video, that is exactly what happened in here before Brake Guards were a requirement

[video=youtube;ga7M3azuIWM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7M3azuIWM[/video]

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Safety wiring is overkill for a track day. Make sure the bike is fit for the road (esp., check torque on potential failure items such as axle bolts and ESPECIALLY oil filter and drain plug), remove or tape up mirrors and lights and you will be fine. Personally I think taping over the speedometer is a good idea and some providers require it. Wiring up the side stand is also sometimes required but that is pretty unnecessary IMHO unless the springs are inadequate, and it is a major inconvenience.

One can always make motherhood statements about "you can never be too safe" but there has to be a reasonable limit. I would hate to think that someone would choose never to experience a track day because safety wiring the bike is too daunting a task.

Yes speeds are higher on the track but other dangers (e.g. stuff to hit when you go off) are reduced relative to street riding.

I am conflicted about the brake guard thing. I did witness a pretty nasty accident at a TMP track day that (I am pretty sure) resulted from someone running his brake lever into the back of another bike. That happened in intermediate group but it really shouldn't have. Don't draft people too closely and leave the appropriate (required) space for passing and you just shouldn't need to worry about it. After three seasons of track riding I have never even been *close* to making any kind of contact with another bike. Racing (and maybe track day red group) are a different story.

I have to disagree. Safety wiring is overkill for a track day. Make sure the bike is fit for the road (esp., check torque on potential failure items such as axle bolts and ESPECIALLY oil filter and drain plug), remove or tape up mirrors and lights and you will be fine. Personally I think taping over the speedometer is a good idea and some providers require it. Wiring up the side stand is also sometimes required but that is pretty unnecessary IMHO unless the springs are inadequate, and it is a major inconvenience.

One can always make motherhood statements about "you can never be too safe" but there has to be a reasonable limit. I would hate to think that someone would choose never to experience a track day because safety wiring the bike is too daunting a task.

Yes speeds are higher on the track but other dangers (e.g. stuff to hit when you go off) are reduced relative to street riding.

I am conflicted about the brake guard thing. I did witness a pretty nasty accident at a TMP track day that (I am pretty sure) resulted from someone running his brake lever into the back of another bike. That happened in intermediate group but it really shouldn't have. Don't draft people too closely and leave the appropriate (required) space for passing and you just shouldn't need to worry about it. After three seasons of track riding I have never even been *close* to making any kind of contact with another bike. Racing (and maybe track day red group) are a different story.
I used to think like you, then **** that was not supposed to happen ..Happened.

Half of the safety measures are not for when everyone does what they are supposed to, they are for when people don't do what they are supposed to. Why put Hay barriers at tracks? aren't we all supposed to stay on the track?

WE just have very different opinions that's all, I will bet that you will most likely change your mind in the future.

..and by the way, track riding red group, is probably the group you have to worry about the least

Last edited:

It's cheap insurance, I will most likely slap one on for those "just in case moments". Even though I'm far from being in the expert group. That Dion device looks pretty trick. :lol:

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a debate. I don't know exactly what GP Bikes require or not, so I am sorry if I've caused speculation.

We got on 'technical requirements' for Track Day when discussing helmets. Because I couldn't find info, I asked if they require SNELL rated helmets. I was told "no" then I was told something general along the lines of "less technical requirements then others".

No worries, we all argue about our opinions, that does not mean we don't get along
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a debate. I don't know exactly what GP Bikes require or not, so I am sorry if I've caused speculation.

We got on 'technical requirements' for Track Day when discussing helmets. Because I couldn't find info, I asked if they require SNELL rated helmets. I was told "no" then I was told something general along the lines of "less technical requirements then others".

Hi guys and Gals
It is very important to be safe when track riding and to have your bike prepped accordingly.
Our track day guidelines are to ensure everyone's safety.

What we are looking for:

Personal gear
:
- Up to date snell 2005 or newer helmet or we will except ece 2205 ratings.
- Back protectors are not required but are recommended.
- Full leather suit 1 piece or 2 piece with a 360 zip
- Leather gloves that cover the wrist intended for motorcycle riding
- Full leather boots that cover the ankle intended for motorcycle riding

Bike requirements:
- Engine coolant needs to be changed to water wetter or engine ice, no exceptions.
- Side stands have to return properly, be removed or zip tied.
- Tires MUST be in good condition for the day
- Brakes MUST be in good condition
- NO oil leaks of any kind (i.e. forks, brake lines, engine oil, coolant, etc.)
- Safety wire is NOT required but recommended.
- All lights and signals should be removed or taped.
- Mirrors should be removed or taped.
- NO loose parts on bike, be sure all parts are tight and fasten to bike (i.e. exhausts, body work, etc)

Things to Bring:
- Drinking water
- Tire guage
- Spare tools
- Health Card
- Light snacks
- Rain gear (i.e. rain suit, umbrella, tent etc)
- Sun block
- Performance under gear

WE just have very different opinions that's all, I will bet that you will most likely change your mind in the future.

..and by the way, track riding red group, is probably the group you have to worry about the least

Actually, thinking back. I did have one experience that, if it had gone the other way, may have had me thinking more like you. Main straight at TMP, yellow group, guy on a GSXR squeaks by me, slots in *directly in front of me* then grabs a huge handful of brake for T1, a good 100 ft before I would normally be braking. That could have made me a believer in brake guards pretty quick, I guess. As it turns out I was able to avoid him but I am sure I had the rear wheel in the air. So I guess it is not really true that I have never come close to making contact - I had forgotten about that one.

Point is, that stuff should not be happening in intermediate group. People need to calm the F down and only make passes when they can do so safely.

Coincindentally (or not), that guy's buddy also tried to collect me on the same day. He straightlined 6, trying to pass me on the brakes. Went right on through, back wheel hopping and chirping like crazy, no attempt to turn in at all. Fortunately I saw what was happening and just rolled off and let him pass in front of me off into the grass - no problem, not even a moment of adrenaline. He came later to apologize but his friend who I nearly ***-packed on the straight was oblivious that he had done anything wrong.

The best safety measure is to just keep your nose clean, leave lots of space, avoid riders who seem overly aggressive, and report the real d!ckheads to the marshals. In novice and intermediate group you shouldn't even be inconveniencing others during a pass, much less endangering them.

More to the point...I have *never* witnessed or even heard about an accident at a track day that would have been prevented by safety wiring the bike, with the exception of oil plugs coming out (seen that twice - nasty).

Main straight at TMP, yellow group, guy on a GSXR squeaks by me, slots in *directly in front of me* then grabs a huge handful of brake for T1, a good 100 ft before I would normally be braking.

Problem 1) TMP
Problem 2) Yellow Group
Problem 3) Damned gixxer riders. :p

More to the point...I have *never* witnessed or even heard about an accident at a track day that would have been prevented by safety wiring the bike, with the exception of oil plugs coming out (seen that twice - nasty).
Exactly, oil plug goes and the oil goes on the riders tire and powwwwww or the guy behind him at the end of the back straight doesn't notice the oil on the ground and Powwww at 240km/hr

Perfect example of why bikes should be safety wired regardless of the track day provider, track or riders personal beliefs and religion :)

Back protectors are also not required by all providers, but in my opinion you are crazy to go out there without one

+1. The only times I've been in dangerous situations in the red group is on low attendance, mixed group days, where faster yellow riders try their luck in red. Almost rear ended somebody into the carousel at GBR last year because his braking point changed dramatically after a few laps of being consistent. I guess I'll +1 YellowDuck for saying don't draft too closely at track days. ;)

argh..wading in with the safety wiring..
For the most part its about convenience, and confirmation. If you've safety wired a bolt then it confirms you've check it. If your bolts are all torqued properly before you ride then you'd never need to wire them. There is no way that a properly torqued bolt will work loose or come out in a track day or race. No one does that though. Safety wire shows you that it hasn't worked loose. If its been wired correctly it will help prevent it from working loose. I've seen lots of bikes were this is not the case..the safety wire will just keep the bolt from hitting the ground. Secondly its about convenience at the track. Fluid on the track is a ***** to clean and takes time. Time that prevents sessions. Another GXSR story..damn them. Dude didnt tighten his oil filter and lost it on a Ducati day at GB. The whole back straight had a nice strip of oil down it. Track was closed for a long time cleaning it..not a lot of happy riders.
Safety wiring is required on all bolts that contain fluid...not brake caliper bolts, bar ends or brake levers (anything sharp could work its way off the bike and puncture the front tire of another bike..that would be a nasty crash) its there to prevent the lose of fluid on the track. (yes its a safety issue for other riders but its usually identified quickly by marshals, flagged and relayed to other riders. Usually the only crash is the leaking rider, who's coated their own rear and has no clue until they tip into the next turn and get a nasty suprise).
Now lever guards...accidental lever contact resulting in a crash is not a common event and pretty rare at trackdays I'd think. BUT. When they happen its usually devastating crash. That is the reason you want one. Might not be a track day requirement..but watch a couple lever contact crashes and you'll want one. Cheapo guards can be found on ebay.
okay..spent my 2 cents

We do stock and sell the Dion Device and I will have them at the track days for purchase if you are interested in them.
It is not a requirement for these track days but a good insurance if you run into the back of anyone.
We will also be selling back protectors and some other related items.

Back
Top Bottom