Got my Renewal Paper ... My insurance went down !!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my Renewal Paper ... My insurance went down !!!

chiller

Site Supporter
Got my Renewal Paper (2016) ... My insurance went down !!!

Picked up my mail last night and got my renewal paperwork. My insurance actually is going down come renewal time February 1st.

insurance on the minivan went up a little bit about $100 / yr ...
the car went down about $500 / yr (not sure why, the car is the same, my wife is the same LOL)
My Raider1900 went down about $90 / yr (to $759, it was $840 last yr)
SV1000 dropped about $30 / yr (making it only $414 per yr LOL)

Combined that together with other multi discounts, snow tires on the cars, my insurance this yr will be about per month about 65 / month cheaper then last yr

Net effect, I have $780 more in my pocket over last yr :)

woot !!

Anyone else get anything good on there insurance renewals ?

Took a picture of my sheets and blanked out my personal information leaving only the stuff that matters highlighted in red ... insurance company name (ThePersonaL), my city (Brampton) and bike description with the costs ...

1BD92F7B-6BCB-4A66-A20F-44BB49BC13CD.jpg

B00AFB86-9FA0-42DB-BCCB-F97CAB198DC6.jpg

Last edited:
I think you might be a unicorn

Is that Liability only? or full coverage? whats the deductable?

My SV650 was about $680/yr for 2015, but that's Liability and theft only. if I total the bike, I probably won't wanna ride for a while...

Is that Liability only? or full coverage? whats the deductable?

My SV650 was about $680/yr for 2015, but that's Liability and theft only. if I total the bike, I probably won't wanna ride for a while...

The raider is full coverage with 500 deductibles for collision and comp. the SV is liability but includes fire / theft / vandalism with 500 deducitbles... no collision on the SV. Adding collision added 2.5x the rate from 414 to just over $1000 / yr so to me it wasn't worth it since i don't ride that much and the bike is older.

Mine went up and the snow tire deal doesn't hit till next year. Renewal time is late in the year.

In Brampton even..... somethings wrong here

updated my post, i took a photo and blanked out my personal information but left the costs and insurance company with type of bikes ... brampton, sv1000, liability and theft only $414 ...

Don't get me wrong, its not like my insurance did not go up since moving to Brampton from Richmond Hill ... but after living in Brampton and getting my renewal now the overall insurance costs of Brampton last yr versus Brampton this yr is down....

Mine went up and the snow tire deal doesn't hit till next year. Renewal time is late in the year.

Maybe my insurance company is offering it early. I do not recall seeing it as a line item on my last years bill but it is showing up on one of my later pages (not posted) as a snow tire discount ...

The raider is full coverage with 500 deductibles for collision and comp. the SV is liability but includes fire / theft / vandalism with 500 deducitbles... no collision on the SV. Adding collision added 2.5x the rate from 414 to just over $1000 / yr so to me it wasn't worth it since i don't ride that much and the bike is older.

No accident benefits? That's usually a large portion of insurance costs. The costs for the collision/comprehensive are low because of the older nature of the bikes (as soon as damage exceeeds book value, they just write it off and you get a cheque, so what's their values?), so aside from that you have a liability policy for the most part as I see things?

No accident benefits? That's usually a large portion of insurance costs. The costs for the collision/comprehensive are low because of the older nature of the bikes (as soon as damage exceeeds book value, they just write it off and you get a cheque, so what's their values?), so aside from that you have a liability policy for the most part as I see things?

You must think I'm crazy for having no accident benefits and you would be if I did not. You'll need to read it again ... it says "standard benefits" and a price tag next to it.... the line items that have "not included" are if you want to UPGRADE to MORE then standard benefits. You'll see it on yours as well. they did the same way when I used to be with TD MM...

You must think I'm crazy for having no accident benefits and you would be if I did not. You'll need to read it again ... it says "standard benefits" and a price tag next to it.... the line items that have "not included" are if you want to UPGRADE to MORE then standard benefits. You'll see it on yours as well. they did the same way when I used to be with TD MM...

My bad, yes, it's there, sorry, I wasn't tracing the lines correctly from left to right.

Wow, that'd good indeed. Meanwhile a friend with a Vstar cruiser, countless years of experience, and a clean record got jacked 30% this year.

No rhyme nor reason to this whole bike insurance situation, I keep saying.

My bad, yes, it's there, sorry, I wasn't tracing the lines correctly from left to right.

Wow, that'd good indeed. Meanwhile a friend with a Vstar cruiser, countless years of experience, and a clean record got jacked 30% this year.

No rhyme nor reason to this whole bike insurance situation, I keep saying.

Perhaps it is the postal code of where your friend is ... I do know location is a big part of the insurance pricing scheme.

Case in point, I have the same car (have had it since like 2004)...
- Years and years I was living in Mississauga and the rate was about $800-$1000 / yr (fluctuated a bit but went up AND down)
- I moved to Woodbridge and INSTANTLY the rate doubled to about $1900 / yr ... the car was the same, driver was the same the only difference was the postal code.
- I moved within a year (waiting for house to finish) in Richmond Hill and my rate dropped from $1900 to $1100 on the same car.
- We moved to Brampton this summer and the rate jumped back from $1100 to $1650
- At renewal (now) the rate came back down to about $1150 / yr (not sure why ~ but not complaining)

Last edited:
Re: Got my Renewal Paper (2016) ... My insurance went down !!!

@chiller Woodbridge (Vaughan ) and Brampton are two of the highest areas for those medical claims type accidents. The ones where someone gets insurance, then a month later all 7 passengers in the minivan get injured....I didn't realize it was such big business. But when you get the drs and the physios and whoever all involved, there's a lot of $$$ getting billed. (Read: scammed)

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Just got off the phone with The Personal. They are a group insurer which means you must belong to one of the groups who have negotiated better rates on behalf of their affiliates. Also, all of Brampton is not rated equally. Different rates for different areas. I obviously do not live in a desirable section as my quote was ridiculously high (2006 Honda 919 & 2011 Fazer 8). It didn't drop much even when the cars and properties were added. The best rate I have found so far has been with CAA. Still a lot of calls to make between now and renewal.

I can't get out of Brampton soon enough!

My insurance also went down with The Personal... I have a ticket that I fought and lost in Jan 2014, so that should still be on there, but my Vstrom went down $50/year and my DRZ went down $25/year... I am paying much less than $1/cc on both of these bikes.

Just got off the phone with The Personal. They are a group insurer which means you must belong to one of the groups who have negotiated better rates on behalf of their affiliates. Also, all of Brampton is not rated equally. Different rates for different areas. I obviously do not live in a desirable section as my quote was ridiculously high (2006 Honda 919 & 2011 Fazer 8). It didn't drop much even when the cars and properties were added. The best rate I have found so far has been with CAA. Still a lot of calls to make between now and renewal.

I can't get out of Brampton soon enough!
I did not realize that there is a "desirable" part of Brampton. Maybe a street. Doctor's Row is ok.

I did not realize that there is a "desirable" part of Brampton. Maybe a street. Doctor's Row is ok.

The actual old/original Castlemore Estates is the only sliver of desire in Brampton, and that's a huge stretch!

I loathe living here, or in this province in general... *someday*

The actual old/original Castlemore Estates is the only sliver of desire in Brampton, and that's a huge stretch!

I loathe living here, or in this province in general... *someday*
My bad. I never actually thought of that as Brampton. But you are right. My brother and my sister are both in Peel Village. They keep sending me mls listings, thanks, but no.

I moved to B-town as a compromise location between my parents (sauga) and her parents (vaughan)... having lived here for 6 months I haven't seen any real issues with living here. What's everyone's problem with it ?

Back
Top Bottom