GoPro helmet mount - is this illegal? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GoPro helmet mount - is this illegal?

Forgive me if this is confusing or anything I'm still shaking as I type this.

I was just going down old york road (in Hamilton) I believe? coming home from work. Passed a car on what I thought was a dashed yellow line (guy swears it was a solid yellow doesn't matter really..), but as I go to pass the guy he aggressively swirves into my lane pushing me off the road. I reacted and saved myself, but then he proceeded to keep trying to push me off the road. I was able to get behind him. Followed him to bayfront park to which he states he wasn't trying to kill me, just block me from passing. no he tried to kill me straight up. It was very similar to the video went around where the driver got sentenced for 15 years. I got a reluctant apology out of him. **** him and his share the road sticker.

I don't have any cameras, but this is exactly the situation I need one. BUT my question is would it have even helped? I was beside him when he swirved, I'm not sure having a camera mounted to my handlbars would have shown much? BUT a camera on my helmet would have shown everything clearly...and that's not legal?...jesus...

So just so we are all clear, on this. You basically get into a road rage incident with a guy you claim was trying to kill you, but you felt it prudent to continue to riding behind him, in order to get a "reluctant apology" from him?? Your lucky, that as we have seen way too many times on youtube the driver says they felt threatened that you were "chasing them" (NOT saying you were, but it is immaterial, if he runs you over on your bike). As Youtube has also shown, (although primarily in the US), the other driver pulls a gun and kills the rider.

Potentially getting killed is NOT worth even the best apology

A bike mounted camera still would have caught enough, it would have shown that the line was broken or solid, (again immaterial, as it is not illegal to pass on a solid line), but it would have shown you taking evasive action to avoid the collision, (presuming you needed to swerve to avoid contact). It also would have shown his driving behaviour just before and after, (once you were again behind him).

It is a MUCH better idea to remove yourself from a situation involving another irate driver, especially when your on a 500 lb bike and they are in a 3,000 lbs car.
S

How the **** do you know I was speeding? **** you bud. The car I was trying to pass could have been going under the speed limit....c'mon.

Guess what I don't care if someone is breaking any laws, doesn't give you the right to bring justice yourself by killing someone.

take a deep breath. I think he was using that as an example, not accusing you.

I did follow him from a distance. I wasn't thinking clearly and honestly I was going to beat the **** out of him or smash his car up. I just knew I didn't have any legit way to have him charged. I agree though, it's always better to avoid these situations.

And yes I did need to swerve, his vehicle came almost all the way into my lane multiple times irradically before I got behind him. As I approached to pass he quickly came all the way into my lane. If I was in a car I would have been in the ditch.

I apologize to fastar, sorry about my heated replies.

I talked to my friend who is a Hamilton police officer he immediately suggested getting cameras for all my vehicles, not just my bike. I'm going to go out and get one asap so next time I can just go to the police station with my footage and be done with it.

Last edited:
FWIW, passing on a solid yellow or double-yellow is not illegal in Ontario. Doing so can put you at higher risk (the lines are solid indicating hazards may exist...) but actually crossing the line to pass isn't breaking the law.

How in all of my years of driving did I think passing on a solid was ILLEGAL? I'm absolutely floored that I misunderstood it to be illegal, versus an advisory line. (I understand unsafe passing in any case, dotted or solid is ticket-able).

How in all of my years of driving did I think passing on a solid was ILLEGAL? I'm absolutely floored that I misunderstood it to be illegal, versus an advisory line. (I understand unsafe passing in any case, dotted or solid is ticket-able).

It is illegal in all other provinces and in some (all?) states.

I did follow him from a distance. I wasn't thinking clearly and honestly I was going to beat the **** out of him or smash his car up. I just knew I didn't have any legit way to have him charged. I agree though, it's always better to avoid these situations.

And yes I did need to swerve, his vehicle came almost all the way into my lane multiple times irradically before I got behind him. As I approached to pass he quickly came all the way into my lane. If I was in a car I would have been in the ditch.

I apologize to fastar, sorry about my heated replies.

I talked to my friend who is a Hamilton police officer he immediately suggested getting cameras for all my vehicles, not just my bike. I'm going to go out and get one asap so next time I can just go to the police station with my footage and be done with it.

This product has been popping up here and there in regards to moto-dashcams which seems pretty neat, and seems more effective and cheaper than a GoPro at $390 CDN.

https://www.innovv.com/the-k

Quickly googled a Canadian supplier: https://canadadashcam.com/innovv-k1-motorcycle-dashcam

At one point in time, the government put dashed lines where you could pass, and solid lines where you couldn't.

Then they started putting in solid lines in some places where it was legal to pass for some reason.

Now they've put more and more in, so you either have to be really old, have measured the distances, or take a guess.

The law says that you can't pass within a certain distance of an obstruction.

Forgive me if this is confusing or anything I'm still shaking as I type this.

I was just going down old york road (in Hamilton) I believe? coming home from work. Passed a car on what I thought was a dashed yellow line (guy swears it was a solid yellow doesn't matter really..), but as I go to pass the guy he aggressively swirves into my lane pushing me off the road. I reacted and saved myself, but then he proceeded to keep trying to push me off the road. I was able to get behind him. Followed him to bayfront park to which he states he wasn't trying to kill me, just block me from passing. no he tried to kill me straight up. It was very similar to the video went around where the driver got sentenced for 15 years. I got a reluctant apology out of him. **** him and his share the road sticker.

I don't have any cameras, but this is exactly the situation I need one. BUT my question is would it have even helped? I was beside him when he swirved, I'm not sure having a camera mounted to my handlbars would have shown much? BUT a camera on my helmet would have shown everything clearly...and that's not legal?...jesus...

Apologizing in advance for the disjointed reply.

From HTA 172

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,

It would have been handy to have his admission on tape.
-HTA 172
-Attempted manslaughter (Not sure of the official charge but criminal, clarify if someone knows the exact wording.
-Dangerous driving (Criminal charge)

It would be interesting to see what if any charges the police would lay.

Not meaning to put defeater down but he's likely not a person of international importance. However look at the media coverage Princess Diana got. Laws will change when politicians and VIP's start getting hurt.

I have a GoPro mount on my helmet but rarely use the camera. I believe just having the mount is a no-no as IIRC the law states nothing mounted on the outside of the helmet.

The driver was using misguided vigilante justice and OP came close to following in his footsteps.

Yesterday, coming back to TO and running into outbound commuter traffic I had to dodge an idiot on the wrong side of the road to prevent a head on crash. The thoughts of carrying a brick came into my mind but knee jerk reactions are best put behind us.

Read all of HTA 172. It covers a lot of crap and contains a lot of crap. Know what direction the crap is going to fly.

Question: If one enters into a contentious situation and under the guise of making a cell phone call turns on video recording is the recording usable in court?

The other party doesn't know the video is being taken but it's a public area.

A lot of people think as you did. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

A more important point is that a vigilante doesn't know why a person is (Possibly) breaking the law. In a few cases there is a legitimate reason but even then a line has to be drawn. The fact that your wife went into early labour doesn't give you the right to kill other people.

This product has been popping up here and there in regards to moto-dashcams which seems pretty neat, and seems more effective and cheaper than a GoPro at $390 CDN.

https://www.innovv.com/the-k

Quickly googled a Canadian supplier: https://canadadashcam.com/innovv-k1-motorcycle-dashcam

Thanks PLau!

From HTA 172

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,

-HTA 172
-Attempted manslaughter (Not sure of the official charge but criminal, clarify if someone knows the exact wording.

Not meaning to put defeater down but he's likely not a person of international importance. However look at the media coverage Princess Diana got. Laws will change when politicians and VIP's start getting hurt.

I have a GoPro mount on my helmet but rarely use the camera. I believe just having the mount is a no-no as IIRC the law states nothing mounted on the outside of the helmet.

The driver was using misguided vigilante justice and OP came close to following in his footsteps.

Yesterday, coming back to TO and running into outbound commuter traffic I had to dodge an idiot on the wrong side of the road to prevent a head on crash. The thoughts of carrying a brick came into my mind but knee jerk reactions are best put behind us.

Read all of HTA 172. It covers a lot of crap and contains a lot of crap. Know what direction the crap is going to fly.

Question: If one enters into a contentious situation and under the guise of making a cell phone call turns on video recording is the recording usable in court?

Dude, How do you know I'm not Princess Diana? or just another important princess?..ugh...wait...you're right I am not important...lol

From HTA 172

-HTA 172

I believe the law says any video or audio recording is admissable as long as one party was aware at the time.

If you're getting into enough of these "altercations", that you feel you need to record them, then you might want to look at your driving style, and make some changes first.

Which one do you use?

I think your brother is using GoPro, if I remember correctly.

I'm still deciding on which one to invest in.

If you`re mounting on the helmet i suggest looking at the Drift Ghost S/4k. Much better profile than a GoPro.

Which one do you use?

I think your brother is using GoPro, if I remember correctly.

I'm still deciding on which one to invest in.

My previous camera was a Contour roam which stopped functioning properly after about 4 years.

Im now using a GoPro as I got it as a gift, however would try the K1 if I didnt have the GoPro.
Im still fooling around with the mounting as I dont like the GoPro on the helmet. Have tried fairing mounted and RAM mounts.... not sure yet...

Battery of the GoPro barely lasts a roundtrip commute to work. (2.5 - 3 hours)

He usually uses his GoPro for his bike trips or car racing activities; not for daily riding.

Last edited:
To be really effective on longer trips/commutes with a GoPro, you need the cable to run continuous power to it. This makes it a pretty costly option, the cable when I bought a couple of years ago was approx $150 US, but my GoPro was then able to record all the time.

As for charges, Noobie, the police won't lay ANY charges without independent evidence, either video or other drivers, BUT having said that, it wouldn't rise to the level of a manslaughter charge, (perhaps MIGHT get an attempted manslaughter), but I even doubt that charge would get pass the crown, MUCH to difficult to prove and ANY decent defense lawyer would get it reduced to a simple assault charge at most.

Even with a video, many police will simply stop by and have a "chat" with the offender, to "explain" that we must all share the road etc etc etc. To file charges and get video evidence admitted, isn't simple and for an incident that didn't end with any injuries, simply consumes too many resources. At best the offender would get a small fine. Had someone been SERIOUSLY injured or killed you "MIGHT" see the offender get a weekend sentence.

As for the original thread content, as I have said before, yes a helmet mounted camera is 100% illegal. BUT, your chances of getting dinged for it are EXTREMELY low. A copper is likely only to ding you for it if your giving "attitude" or they are doing a blitz, or they need a reason to stop you on a "fishing expedition", (IE looking for other more serious offences, such as no insurance etc).

I always felt the bike mounted camera is a MUCH better option, it isn't going to "accidentally" record your speedometer, it isn't as likely to go airborne after a crash, and it is a MUCH more stable platform for the camera.

Last edited:
To be really effective on longer trips/commutes with a GoPro, you need the cable to run continuous power to it. This makes it a pretty costly option, the cable when I bought a couple of years ago was approx $150 US, but my GoPro was then able to record all the time.

As for charges, Noobie, the police won't lay ANY charges without independent evidence, either video or other drivers, BUT having said that, it wouldn't rise to the level of a manslaughter charge, (perhaps MIGHT get an attempted manslaughter), but I even doubt that charge would get pass the crown, MUCH to difficult to prove and ANY decent defense lawyer would get it reduced to a simple assault charge at most.

Even with a video, many police will simply stop by and have a "chat" with the offender, to "explain" that we must all share the road etc etc etc. To file charges and get video evidence admitted, isn't simple and for an incident that didn't end with any injuries, simply consumes too many resources. At best the offender would get a small fine. Had someone been SERIOUSLY injured or killed you "MIGHT" see the offender get a weekend sentence.

As for the original thread content, as I have said before, yes a helmet mounted camera is 100% illegal. BUT, your chances of getting dinged for it are EXTREMELY low. A copper is likely only to ding you for it if your giving "attitude" or they are doing a blitz, or they need a reason to stop you on a "fishing expedition", (IE looking for other more serious offences, such as no insurance etc).

I always felt the bike mounted camera is a MUCH better option, it isn't going to "accidentally" record your speedometer, it isn't as likely to go airborne after a crash, and it is a MUCH more stable platform for the camera.

I see my cameras as my Herman Melville revenge: "From Hell's heart I stab at thee!"

Have to disagree here, mainly because most bike mounted video often has lots of vibrations that reduce the image quality, and that are partly shrouded by bits of the motorcycle. The cameras longevity also suffers from the vibrations.

Regarding getting the speedo on camera, I don't think it makes any difference as anyone can always figure out your speed based on the precise location of elements of the scenery (like lane markings). In fact I don't think one's speedo is admissible evidence in court unless it's proven to be calibrated somehow at the time of the video. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for an airborne camera, if the crash is that bad I've never seen a useful video image after the first contact.

Have to disagree here, mainly because most bike mounted video often has lots of vibrations that reduce the image quality, and that are partly shrouded by bits of the motorcycle. The cameras longevity also suffers from the vibrations.

I get motion sickness trying to watch helmet mounted camera video. The footage I have from my bike mounted cameras has *some* vibration, but is much more viewable. The rear camera gets much more vibration because it's mounted on a top box but the issue is much more pronounced in a dark environment than it is in bright sunlight. For example:

[video=youtube;1azq4l1WFWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1azq4l1WFWQ&list=PLWNYUmmMUIYevvOgLzHJnrS1la96t2yI6&index=5[/video]

Back
Top Bottom