Good Shop for some maintenance work? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good Shop for some maintenance work?

POWERMAN

I am looking to get my fork oil and tires replaced.
Got quoted the following at a place that I approached - the tires they quoted me for were the Michellin Road 5.

estimate-jpg.61006

Does this look reasonable for both parts and labour or should I be going someplace else?
Open to suggestions...

Attachments

• Estimate.jpg
    Estimate.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 359
A bit expensive, those tires cost $450, so they are charging you $355 to install. That seems a little steep for tire change labor.

Fork seals need about $60 in parts and oil (,if they do dust seals too). Most people that maintain their own bikes can do fork seals on a simple bike in 2 hours, a professional mechanic in about an hour if he's changing tires... but they generally charge 3hrs labor.

So I'd say the price for the seals is in the ballpark, tires seem high.

I did fork seals on my bike myself. 2008 FZ6.
I thought it would be difficult but it was fairly easy.
A mixture of YT videos and service manual made the whole process easier.

As for pricing.
Try calling around different shops. Keep in mind they they are ALL busy, especially the guys that also do it on a smaller scale and possibly out of their garage.

Last edited:
What bike is this for?

I did fork seals on my bike myself. 2008 FZ6.
I thought it would be difficult but it was fairly easy.
A mixture of YT videos and service manual made the whole process easier.

As for pricing.
Try calling around different shops. Keep in mind they they are ALL busy, especially the guys that also do it on a smaller scale and possibly out of their garage.
I always figure if someone is asking about shop prices, they arent interested in DIY.

One of my kids put it best... dad, I can spend all weekend fiddling and learning how to do brakes... or... work 4 hours of overtime, use that cash to pay a mechanic, then go golfing while he fixes my car.

I can spend all weekend fiddling and learning how to do brakes... or... work 4 hours of overtime, use that cash to pay a mechanic, then go golfing while he fixes my car.
This is how I see it as well. The house I do everything. Vehicles, only oil changes, swap seasonal rims on cars

You can always call GP Bikes and see how it compares, even if you have no interest to go there or its just outta the way.

Ive been using GP for regular maintenance and warranty work over the past few years. I find their service good overall. Not sure how close your are to them . But they will also pick up and drop off the bike for a fee. Depending how far away you are.

Ive been using GP for regular maintenance and warranty work over the past few years. I find their service good overall. Not sure how close your are to them . But they will also pick up and drop off the bike for a fee. Depending how far away you are.
food for thought.

GP is going to be slammed very soon, since they are taking on 3 new brands and there is no immediate planned action to expand the service area. I was there yesterday with a friend and saw the sales guy. Congratulated him on the sale of the new M1000RR they had on the floor. He seemed very uh..nervous about dealing with the extended client base on the service side.

Maybe they're adding a night shift to the shop? lol

food for thought.

GP is going to be slammed very soon, since they are taking on 3 new brands and there is no immediate planned action to expand the service area. I was there yesterday with a friend and saw the sales guy. Congratulated him on the sale of the new M1000RR they had on the floor. He seemed very uh..nervous about dealing with the extended client base on the service side.
Isn't GP being reno'd expanded? Last time I was there the whole place was under construction.

Isn't GP being reno'd expanded? Last time I was there the whole place was under construction.
For the new showroom. As per the employee(s) the service area expansion is not being worked on currently.

I always figure if someone is asking about shop prices, they arent interested in DIY.

One of my kids put it best... dad, I can spend all weekend fiddling and learning how to do brakes... or... work 4 hours of overtime, use that cash to pay a mechanic, then go golfing while he fixes my car.
The problem with that is if you get the wrong shop you might lose use of the bike for weeks or worse.

I asked a Honda service rep about an emergency repair and was told they handle them like every other service item. Wait your turn, even if it's a quick fix.

The problem with that is if you get the wrong shop you might lose use of the bike for weeks or worse.

I asked a Honda service rep about an emergency repair and was told they handle them like every other service item. Wait your turn, even if it's a quick fix.
1st in ; 1st out is the best way to go about service work...or it becomes difficult to meet already promised deadlines.
There isn't anything like a quick fix, the tech still needs to understand what is being asked
of him/her and the customer's expectations.

1st in ; 1st out is the best way to go about service work...or it becomes difficult to meet already promised deadlines.
There isn't anything like a quick fix, the tech still needs to understand what is being asked
of him/her and the customer's expectations.
Seasonal business isn't fun. An crusty old marina operator got to the shop first day of fishing season and had 20 boats lined up at the door. Motor wouldn't start. " Sorry I'm looking after stuff that was brought in earlier"

"Can you recommend anyone else?"

"I don't hate anyone that bad."

I would just buy the parts online and take them to Ken's Motoworks for install. He has done my tires a couple times with me bringing them in, and I'm pretty sure he's done a fork seal for me as well with my own parts

Back
Top Bottom