'Good' low profile floor jacks? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

'Good' low profile floor jacks?

Pros use floor jacks?

It's not like those are a thousand bucks though, they're basically twice the price of some CT jacks....

But I hear you...

Hell yea pros use jacks...the car doesnt always have to go on a lift. Or the lift is taken with a big job and he doesnt want to bother taking the car off to do a quick job.

LOL...I agree. It's like those people who buy the most expensive DSLR and hardly use it. They buy it to show off to their friends....just showing off how stupid you really are.

Dude, you dont need that...thats pro grade designed to be used 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for years...overkill.

LOL...I agree. It's like those people who buy the most expensive DSLR and hardly use it. They buy it to show off to their friends....just showing off how stupid you really are.

Considering the reviews and common complaints (even some in this very thread) I'd say spending $600 on a lifetime jack could prove more economical than re-buying a $200 jack multiple times.

Nothing to do with 'showing off'

"lifetime" jack?

Its a simple machine, that no matter how much you spend, o-rings age and bushings/bearings wear out. High end jacks just have bigger bushings.

50 Ton aircraft jacks that cost what your car costs wore out and had leaking o-rings.

my $100 jack has been going for 6 years now with no issues. Cost of ownership is minute.

Hey, you wanna go and spend 600 bucks, knock yourself out.

Sounds like omnivore spent $300 on a 'Michelin' jack that he has to fill with oil before every use. That's the kinda stuff I'm trying to avoid.... you know, 'Chinese product' kinda stuff.

Kinda why I posted the thread, bro... you mad or something?

Sounds like omnivore spent $300 on a 'Michelin' jack that he has to fill with oil before every use. That's the kinda stuff I'm trying to avoid.... you know, 'Chinese product' kinda stuff.

Your logic is quite faulty. "If a $300 product is bad, then anything under $300 is also bad, therefore you should buy a $600 product". I have happily used CT 2.5-ton jack for several years (6-7 years now) with no problems. Now have 3-ton jack (my parents still have that 2.5-ton), which cost me a whole lot of $99, and it works great.

Mad? why? cuz i'm not clapping you on your back and going "good boy! atta boy, spend that coin!!!"

Numerous people have come here and told you of their "cheap" jacks that have worked for years and all you got out of it was ONE case of a $300 jack (probably a $100 jack with big name logo on it) that has "failed"

Seems to me you've already made up your mind and just wanted affirmation from the masses.

Omnivore if he was so inclined could probably take apart the pump, clean or replace the seals and be on his merry way.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379506649.517331.jpg

Good thread. As I was holding my transmission with one hand and trying to put the bolts in with the other I swore to myself I would buy a better jack. The hydraulic one I have was way too low.

I picked up a few scissor jacks from the car scrap yard and they are very handy to have around.

Last edited:
This Michelin jack is the only one I ever had that leaked. I had a couple of those little $60 Cdn Tire red ones that worked fine for yrs.....they just aren't heavy duty enough for what I need now......so a higher price point isn't the answer. I just got a faulty one that never sealed well, even from day 1.

Look at it this way. If you are mechanically inclined enough to need a jack (to work on a car) you are also mechanically inclined enough to replace the seals on a leaking jack! The process is very easy and there are tutorials online. If they leak in the warranty period of course take them back otherwise repair or replace. Of course you should always be using axle stands, even if it is not leaking!

My buddy that uses one everyday has had a couple cheap ones leak but he usually gets years of daily use out of them (mechanic, no lift in the shop, only the floor jacks).

I have had one motomaster trolley jack leak after about 10 years of minor home use. It started to leak right after I tried jacking up my friends house with it (centre beam). House did not move....

Many here recommended this one including myself, it also gets good reviews on CT's site. Do yourself a favour and check it out it is on sale until tomorrow.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...+Aluminum+and+Steel+Garage+Jack.jsp?locale=en

This jack looks to be the same OEM, for more reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Powerzone-380...3679754&sr=1-2&keywords=Jack&tag=vglnk-c47-20

View attachment 33517

Good thread. As I was holding my transmission with one hand and trying to put the bolts in with the other I swore to myself I would buy a better jack. The hydraulic one I have was way too low.

I picked up a few scissor jacks from the car scrap yard and they are very handy to have around.

I really hope that you wrote that post as a sarcasm/joke. Scissor jacks in the cars should only be used for emergencies (e.g. pretty much tire changes on the road) and nothing else.

I really hope that you wrote that post as a sarcasm/joke. Scissor jacks in the cars should only be used for emergencies (e.g. pretty much tire changes on the road) and nothing else.

In the example he provided a scissor jack works. Sure there are better options, but to hold a couple hundred pounds while you bolt it in, I think they are acceptable. The car would still be on proper jack stands and you just treat the scissor lift like it may fall and don't get under the supported part.

In the example he provided a scissor jack works. Sure there are better options, but to hold a couple hundred pounds while you bolt it in, I think they are acceptable. The car would still be on proper jack stands and you just treat the scissor lift like it may fall and don't get under the supported part.

Yeah, look at the angle of that jack, to me it looks too scary to even approach that car.

Mad? why? cuz i'm not clapping you on your back and going "good boy! atta boy, spend that coin!!!"

Numerous people have come here and told you of their "cheap" jacks that have worked for years and all you got out of it was ONE case of a $300 jack (probably a $1b00 jack with big name logo on it) that has "failed"

Seems to me you've already made up your mind and just wanted affirmation from the masses.

Omnivore if he was so inclined could probably take apart the pump, clean or replace the seals and be on his merry way.

Didn't make up my mind at all..I'll probably check out the ct one that's for sale right now. Wouldn't pay $300 but $100-150 sounds fair.. As long as its low profile enough. I have serious clearance issues with my car.

I have the red CTC aluminum jack and it works great. Great for the at home D.I.Y type guy. Any big stuff goes opn the hoist but that's overkill to change a tire :)

Yeah, look at the angle of that jack, to me it looks too scary to even approach that car.

Don't let the fact that the whole picture is at an angle, my engine is still supported by one mount and TWO ratchet straps on top, the car is on floor jacks and the rims are underneath, get in the way of being a smart ***.

Glad you probably brought your tire rotation experience on what's handy or not when I tried to level my engine with my transmission.

Back
Top Bottom