Good Deal on Affordable Android Phone | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good Deal on Affordable Android Phone

J_F

Was time for a new device, my old oneplus one finally died.
Have been reading about Xiaomi for some time - China's #1 phone.

Bit the bullet and ordered a Xiaomi Mi-Note 3, arrived today.
Very happy with this purchase for the money.
Snappy Qualcomm CPU, 6 GB RAM and 128 GB storage.
All the other goodies - nice camera, NFC, Miricast, stereo speakers
big battery, fast charge with USC type C connection.
All in a very sleek, aluminum chassis and glass on both sides.
Ships to NA with global Android ROM and the proper bands for our frequencies.
Popped my CDN SIM card in and everything setup with no BS, auto detect on the APN and straight to LTE.
Nice bright 5.5 inch screen and zero lag or Android BS so far. Very little bloat ware on the global ROM.

Shipping from Hong Kong was $8, took a week to get to BC, another to get to ON.
Bought it from Banggood, have had a good experience with them, no issues.
Surprised that it came with no duty or taxes payable, but that is hit and miss.

All around very happy. Don't think you can get anything close to this quality and spec locally for under $300
If anyone is interested, here's a link to the device/seller

[US$208.69 28% OFF] Xiaomi Mi Note 3 5.5 Inch Global ROM 6GB RAM 128GB ROM Snapdragon 660 Octa Core 4G Smartphone Smartphones from Mobile Phones & Accessories on banggood.com

Did it come with a welcome message from the Chinese military?

Just joking. My wife bought a Chinese clone phone a while back and it was perfectly fine for the price.

Reactions: J_F
nahhhh
the spy chip doesn't seem to degrade performance at all
top notch coders, you know

It's a nice phone, especially for the price (looks like right now you can get it for 286 CAD + shipping). However, it's an older phone (released in 2017) and I'm not sure that you will receive many updates in the future. Hope you will like MIUI ; ) I have Huawei and their EMUI sometimes a little bit annoying..

Btw, did you check Pixel 3a? I know that it is much more expensive, but you might get a good deal from your mobile operator on it.. I guess you already got your new phone so it doesn't matter anymore. Enjoy it!

I haven't had a contract phone for a long time
I prefer unlocked dual SIM phones.....carriers aren't into them

Xiaomi is pretty good at keeping devices alive, took an OTA to Oreo right out of the box
but I bought it for the hardware, this UI is a lot like iOS that I'm not big on

not concerned about updates, I may throw Lineage on it anyway to get back to a more stock Android feel
yes, that's what I paid for it, 286 CDN, will be fine for 2 years, I'm not into thousand dollar phones that are done in 2 years

Had a Redmi Note 4 before, it was really good for the price ($200 CAD). I put lineage on it too, only downside was the camera was pretty bad.

I have a Mi 8 now and it's perfect, I'm even still using MIUI. It's more than a Redmi phone (I think MI 9 is 5-600), but worth it my opinion. Even OnePlus is twice as much now.

I'll buy another Xiaomi in the future.

Lineage is an amazing project! I used only CyanogenMod and it still amazes me how much efforts invested into these projects. OnePlus were nice phones but now they are so expensive! It's sad that we can't buy Xiaomi phones from retail locations or amazon (for reasonable $$)..

Lineage is an amazing project! I used only CyanogenMod and it still amazes me how much efforts invested into these projects. OnePlus were nice phones but now they are so expensive! It's sad that we can't buy Xiaomi phones from retail locations or amazon (for reasonable $$)..

I wonder if anyone sells them at Pacific Mall?
haven't been there for a few years, neat place

I wonder if anyone sells them at Pacific Mall?
haven't been there for a few years, neat place
You can buy a few at Canada Computers, but I'd still buy them online unless I needed it fast.

If you use ocean freight you don't pay tax

edit: well, I never paid tax, YMMV

You can buy a few at Canada Computers, but I'd still buy them online unless I needed it fast.

If you use ocean freight you don't pay tax

edit: well, I never paid tax, YMMV
no tax? that's AWESOME! Never ordered anything expensive from China, so assumed that taxes would be added similar to packages from US

yeah, this one was dropped of by Canada Post without a cent to pay

kinda strange though, I was able to track it the whole way

Hong Kong ->mainland China -> Vancouver -> Customs -> Winnipeg -> Mississauga -> Belleville
overseas portion was Flyt Express, Canada portion was Canada Post

package had zero postal/customs information for any of that
had a Canada Post label from a business in Markham, that's it :unsure:

yeah, this one was dropped of by Canada Post without a cent to pay

kinda strange though, I was able to track it the whole way

Hong Kong ->mainland China -> Vancouver -> Customs -> Winnipeg -> Mississauga -> Belleville
overseas portion was Flyt Express, Canada portion was Canada Post

package had zero postal/customs information for any of that
had a Canada Post label from a business in Markham, that's it :unsure:
I've never been charged duty on anything shipped from China via Canada Post. DHL, on the other hand, is a completely different story. Very likely duties will be charged if shipped through them.

Also, sellers on chinese marketplaces like AliExpress typically don't list the actual value of the item on the package. They usually put an amount under $50. That helps escape duties with Canada Post in most instances.

don't really see another thread to put this in
so I'll pollute my own

got my bag of Umami seasoning - MSG - from Amazon today
went to the PO box to get it, and there are 2 packages for me :unsure: ??

brought them both home as they are both addressed to me
anyone notice Amazon is moving away from Canada Post?
these were both AMZN courier service

anyway, the extra box has an infrared temp gun in it
not the best quality, but still handy to have around
I did not order/pay for this item
so thanks for the freebie Amazon !

Congrats with a freebie! But check that it is not in your order history.. especially if you have wife, kids, cats..

Yeah, I get packages delivered through AMZN service for a long time. I guess, all packages with 1 or 2 days delivery. The only time when I still get it from Canada Post is when they are sent from Vancouver warehouse..

I ended up getting a Samsung, moving from Apple. Learning a new OS is tough. Especially, the "why didn't they just ..." moments.

Only some phones are banned in the states, and only for sale. They'll never stop you for bringing in a Huawei.

No, they can turn you around for having any Chinese phone. They don't want them there, or anyone who uses them.

My samsung s7 capped out couple weeks ago so I was looking into xiaomi phones. After reading bunch of reviews, I decided on redmi note 7.

But being a cheap, ended up replacing motherboard on my s7 and fixed it.

For sure, I wouldn't hesitate to get a xiaomi phone from what I'm reading. You need to be careful that you're buying one that supports right frequency in Canada though. I almost bought a Pocophone but realized that it doesn't really support 4g in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom