Good cleaner | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good cleaner

bigpoppa

Im looking for a general purpose cleaner that will clean fork internals, springs etc as well as the steering head where the bearings go, as well as something
that I can use to clean the brake calipers..

Was looking at good ol fashioned brake cleaner but I keep reading that its toxic/carcinogen in addition to being bad for any rubber it comes into contact with(brake piston seals etc)

And isopropyl and any kind of cleaning alcohol is out of stock everywhere(covid)

Can I use just soap and water?

I use spray nine. Its been constantly on the shelf in walmart on my last three recent visits in the automotive section. Its strong enough to get rid of most gunk, like what you want it for, but not so harsh to ruin paint in case you get some on areas that you don't want the paint to get damaged. A lot of degreasers will damage paint.

"There’s an old adage in chemistry … like dissolves like. If you’re cleaning rubber parts like seals or o-rings that must be re-used, consider the cleaning agent that you’re using. Petroleum-based solvents can and will attack synthetic rubber parts (some silicones are very resistant, however) and should be avoided. Alcohol-based cleaners can be a good alternative, and are available as sprays and liquids. Electronics parts cleaner aerosols that are safe for delicate circuit boards can be a good choice, but if you’re stuck and don’t have a bottle of vodka handy,"
:ROFLMAO:

Is this for real?

Yea I used simple green last night to clean my chain and I was surprised how well it worked. Equally as good as kerosene smells better. I usually use kerosene but just wanted to see how well the simple green would do. $2 a bottle at dollarama

Reactions: J_F
Bare ally doesn't like simple green.

Another vote for simple green here. It's my go to cleaner, super concentrated so I mix a few spray bottles at different dilutions for most jobs, and use it full strength for tougher jobs like oil spills, chains, etc. Great for making salty rubber mats look almost new.

I like brake cleaner as it's gets rid of all oily stuff. And dries quick

I usually will rewash or rerinse with something more gentle afterwards. Soap and water or spray nine.

I find that spray nine leaves a bit of a soapy coating.
Not a bad thing but just an observation.

Have not tried simple green. But will pick some up.

never tried this, but heard good things

never tried this, but heard good things

I buy it buy the 4l jug and mix it in a weed sprayer. Awesome stuff.

" Muc Off" for me. Bike wash, polish, chain cleaner, chain spray. Mike in Burlington.

I'll hijack this thread a bit. I managed to get 3-4 drops of cyanoacrylate (super) glue on my plastic fairing while installing my heated grips. Any thoughts on how to get it off?

1) nail polish remover / acetone. I have this at the house already, but my concern is it ruining the clear/paint on the fairing as well. I thought perhaps use a q-tip and carefully try to get the glue off

2) Nitromethane - apparently will remove the glue without running the risk of effecting the fairing. Only issue is its pricey and shipping is going to be a few weeks.

Anyone have any other ideas / suggestions?

Im looking for a general purpose cleaner that will clean fork internals, springs etc as well as the steering head where the bearings go, as well as something
that I can use to clean the brake calipers..

Was looking at good ol fashioned brake cleaner but I keep reading that its toxic/carcinogen in addition to being bad for any rubber it comes into contact with(brake piston seals etc)

And isopropyl and any kind of cleaning alcohol is out of stock everywhere(covid)

Can I use just soap and water?
Use anything that you would use to clean a gun :/ you wouldn't use soap and water to clean a gun would you?

Cyanoacrylate is water soluble.

Last edited:
Use anything that you would use to clean a gun :/ you wouldn't use soap and water to clean a gun would you?

Cyanoacrylate is water soluble.
Huh?

Honing stone oil.

Back
Top Bottom