Givi Trekker Outback 37/48L | GTAMotorcycle.com

Givi Trekker Outback 37/48L

kurtrules

After spending a few days browsing multiple options, hard and soft, I have decided to go for the trekker outback side cases for the V-Strom. I most likely will be placing the order today and be done with it. The question, and the confusion that I have is should I go for two 37L ones, or 48L ones, or asymmetrical cases? The V-Strom's exhaust (2019) is not upswept to a point where the rack goes above and beyond.

I do want to go for the more capacity option. Extra space is always welcome and appreciated if needed.
It would increase the rear dimensions quite a bit. Hence the confusion.

Is anyone sporting outbacks in the 48L version? Feedback sought (wind resistance etc)

I'll always be doing single riding. No two up riding.

Thanks in advance

Do you have any other storage, like a top box? or will 37/48 be everything?

For how long, do you like camping, what trips do you have in mind?

After spending a few days browsing multiple options, hard and soft, I have decided to go for the trekker outback side cases for the V-Strom. I most likely will be placing the order today and be done with it. The question, and the confusion that I have is should I go for two 37L ones, or 48L ones, or asymmetrical cases? The V-Strom's exhaust (2019) is not upswept to a point where the rack goes above and beyond.

I do want to go for the more capacity option. Extra space is always welcome and appreciated if needed.
It would increase the rear dimensions quite a bit. Hence the confusion.

Is anyone sporting outbacks in the 48L version? Feedback sought (wind resistance etc)

I'll always be doing single riding. No two up riding.

Thanks in advance
Do you have a rough date when you want these by?

I'm only asking because there is a guy on the Stromtrooper forum who is constantly buying and selling items for the V-Stroms. I think he's literally owned 13 V-Stroms and he's sold me multiple Corbin seats, a Zumo 590, my Elka shock and many turn signals. He often gets side cases in very good condition that he sells for around 1/2 price of brand new. Lives in Mississauga only a couple minutes from me.

If you can wait, I can ask him to try and get you a set - then you might only need to buy the racks brand new if they aren't already included.

FWIW, I use the Givi E41's which are older and pretty wide cases. I've never personally felt that they create too much wind resistance. Where I do have an issue with them is when I want to squeeze in tight spaces while riding downtown. Everywhere else, they are fine, just kinda ugly.

Do you have any other storage, like a top box? or will 37/48 be everything?

For how long, do you like camping, what trips do you have in mind?

No, no other storage option except a small tank bag. So yes, those two cases will be everything.

My trips will be anywhere from 2 days to maximum of 7. I can't do more than 7 days owing to family concerns - Have literally had to beg my wife to allow me to ride out for a week this year.

I have not moto-camped before. I never felt the need to. But I would definitely start, and continue, to camp on my trips here.

Do you have a rough date when you want these by?

I'm only asking because there is a guy on the Stromtrooper forum who is constantly buying and selling items for the V-Stroms. I think he's literally owned 13 V-Stroms and he's sold me multiple Corbin seats, a Zumo 590, my Elka shock and many turn signals. He often gets side cases in very good condition that he sells for around 1/2 price of brand new. Lives in Mississauga only a couple minutes from me.

If you can wait, I can ask him to try and get you a set - then you might only need to buy the racks brand new if they aren't already included.

FWIW, I use the Givi E41's which are older and pretty wide cases. I've never personally felt that they create too much wind resistance. Where I do have an issue with them is when I want to squeeze in tight spaces while riding downtown. Everywhere else, they are fine, just kinda ugly.

If you could do that, it will be simply amazing Shane! I couldn't be more happier to spend $500 less for the pair! Thank you.

I am not in an immediate need. I can tie up my backpack + the tank bag for a weekend trip. These cases will be put to use in the Gaspe trip - and there's still time for that.

No, no other storage option except a small tank bag. So yes, those two cases will be everything.

My trips will be anywhere from 2 days to maximum of 7. I can't do more than 7 days owing to family concerns - Have literally had to beg my wife to allow me to ride out for a week this year.

I have not moto-camped before. I never felt the need to. But I would definitely start, and continue, to camp on my trips here.

If you could do that, it will be simply amazing Shane! I couldn't be more happier to spend $500 less for the pair! Thank you.

I am not in an immediate need. I can tie up my backpack + the tank bag for a weekend trip. These cases will be put to use in the Gaspe trip - and there's still time for that.
Sounds good. He said he will look out for Givi Outback, Kappa K Venture or SWMotech cases for you.

I would suggest to give him 3-4 weeks to see what he can source.

What to pack for 2 days, can be similar to seven depending on the type of ride. Everyone packs different, though i would say 37 with no camping gear is plenty, and if you do decide to camp, 20L top bag can always be added.

While waiting for Shane, I have a brand new Shad Zulupack you can use in the meantime (got it free with the T7, never used it lol), I also have an SW motech cargo bag I haven't used in a few years since I sold the CBX you can use. It says 50L, however, I'm sure it's only like 40 in reality.

https://fortnine.ca/en/sw-motech-cargobag-tail-bag-bc-hta-00-306-10000 - that one. Better and safer than a backpack strapped down :)

Last edited:
Sounds good. He said he will look out for Givi Outback, Kappa K Venture or SWMotech cases for you.

I would suggest to give him 3-4 weeks to see what he can source.

That's great! I'll wait for him to revert back to you.

What to pack for 2 days, can be similar to seven depending on the type of ride. Everyone packs different, though i would say 37 with no camping gear is plenty, and if you do decide to camp, 20L top bag can always be added.

I pack lite most of the time. The main weight, and this was when I used saddle bags earlier, was of tools and bike specific spares scattered around both bags for balance.

While waiting for Shane, I have a brand new Shad Zulupack you can use in the meantime (got it free with the T7, never used it lol), I also have an SW motech cargo bag I haven't used in a few years since I sold the CBX you can use. It says 50L, however, I'm sure it's only like 40 in reality.

https://fortnine.ca/en/sw-motech-cargobag-tail-bag-bc-hta-00-306-10000 - that one. Better and safer than a backpack strapped down :)

Thank you, that's very generous! I will take you up on your offer the next time I head out for a 2 day ride which should be sometime late May.

You can buy the Kappa K-Force boxes for a couple hundred less and get the near identical panniers (Kappa is Givi's sister company). I have the Kappa Venture cases both 37L, mounted on Givi racks on a KTM. The full width is about 36" mounted. They're roomy and there's bungs to strap anything you want on the outside. I wasn't comfortable with the extra width the 48L would create. The 37l are all I really need. For anything else I have detachable softbags.

Just a heads up...motostorm in Italy usually has unbeatable prices on Givi luggage even after currency conversion, shipping and any taxes. Look in their sale section (might be called a warehouse section). With our CDN$ right now there may be some good deals.

remember the old rule for packing a bike: make a pile of everything you think you will need and then pack half of it.

Here's a pic of the Kappa Ventures (Givi's sister company) on my KTM. See if you can spot the differences.

Kinda glossing over the quick release/install of the Givi's. Not sure if it's worth the price difference, but there is a difference and the Givi quick release is pretty awesome

Kinda glossing over the quick release/install of the Givi's. Not sure if it's worth the price difference, but there is a difference and the Givi quick release is pretty awesome

This year's Kappas have that too. There's also a kit you can buy from Givi that allows you to install the quick release.

Back
Top Bottom