Getting my basement finished..lost | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting my basement finished..lost

DOHC1

I'm looking for a contractor to finish my basement (bought the house brand new, it's been all concrete for 10 years now...)
The house itself is 2000 square feet (so ~1000 in the basement). I'm getting quotes ranging from $30,000 to $40,000 (2 rooms, bathroom and kitchen) plus $12,000 for a separate walk out exit. I have no idea how to screen the contractors who come. I'm going to make sure they are insured, but its tough to hand over $40,000+ to a guy you met on kijiji. Has anyone on here had their basement finished? I'd love to hire someone with a reference of their work. The last thing I need is a hack job, and the internet is full of nightmare contractors experiences.

OP, you don't say where your located , and yes there are good contractors on kijiji, but dont hire a basement guy without references from somebody you trust. Kijiji (and everywhere else) is full of gong show results , and my advice is work out a payment program, weekly for work completed. DO NOT give them 30-40k upfront. A deposit is normal, but make it minimal.
There is a bit of engineering in a proper basement walkout, you can dig a hole and be lucky, or dig a hole and be wet, and fixing it after the fact is many thousands.

ask for references, speak to references, verify insurance (liability & WSIB), no large deposits, never pay for anything up front, always hold back 10-15%, only pay for work that is complete, ask for a brake down of his quote (how much for framing, flooring, kitchen, drywall) the more detailed the better, based on that agree on a payment schedule that is based on milestones (when you finish the rough in I will pay X, and when you install the cabinets I will pay Y), that way you can track costs, productivity and budget based on his original quote

Also check the status of the contractor's business licence and contact the Better Business Bureau. If you punch a hole in your foundation you should also talk to a structural engineer and get your Building Department involved. And never, ever start work without proper plans and permits.

Jim

unfortunately the pricing sounds about reasonable depending on finishes. But like most have said the job you are asking for has some complicated things, and if they aren't done right you are in for a world of hurt and aggravation.

I think you need to call either of these guys
mikeholmespic-MEDIUM.jpg

or
Bryan-Baeumler.jpg

ask for references, speak to references, verify insurance (liability & WSIB), no large deposits, never pay for anything up front, always hold back 10-15%, only pay for work that is complete, ask for a brake down of his quote (how much for framing, flooring, kitchen, drywall) the more detailed the better, based on that agree on a payment schedule that is based on milestones (when you finish the rough in I will pay X, and when you install the cabinets I will pay Y), that way you can track costs, productivity and budget based on his original quote

good luck in that....

If it's a quote to do the basement, then a break down is not needed, so long as the work is all completed, there are always overages or underages when doing a complete job like a full basement

it's like asking to do all the windows on your house and then you want each one priced individually in case you want to do one at a time, well the cost will not be the same as the guy has to come for each individual window to install as opposed to one or 2 days to install all of them.....

the quote is for a package deal, not individual parts of the project, so if you don't like his price on say framing, your going to get someone else to do it....?

I was quoted 500 to have tile installed in 3 rooms if all 3 were done, if I wanted it done room by room it was 250 per room, as the tile guy would have to come 3 different times, set up, install, clean up and so on.....it was cheaper and quicker for the package deal....

Last edited:
good luck in that....

If it's a quote to do the basement, then a break down is not needed, so long as the work is all completed, there are always overages or underages when doing a complete job like a full basement

it's like asking to do all the windows on your house and then you want each one priced individually in case you want to do one at a time, well the cost will not be the same as the guy has to come for each individual window to install as opposed to one or 2 days to install all of them.....

the quote os for a package deal, not individual parts of the project, so if you don't like his price on say framing, your going to get someone else to do it....

I was quoted 500 to have tile installed in 3 rooms if all 3 were done, if I wanted it done room by room it was 250 per room, as the tile guy would have to come 3 different times, set up, install, clean up and so on.....it was cheaper and quicker for the package deal....

I think he was getting more into the break down of what you're getting for the cost, vs a step by step cost break down.

i.e. kitchen installation to include: kicthen island with dishwasher, stone counter top, x cabinets, y whatevers, etc etc.

The ball park isn't unreasonable for the quotes you're getting. Some good advice in this thread already. You're gonna need plans, permits and most likely engineering sign-offs if you're adding a walk out. Whatever your budget is, add 15% as a buffer for cost over-runs.

good luck in that....

the quote is for a package deal, not individual parts of the project, so if you don't like his price on say framing, your going to get someone else to do it....?

Good luck with what?? Asking for the break down of how your contractor arrived at $40k????? Im not talking about pricing part of the reno to get done later, but asking how much of the $40k is allocated to drywall.
If your contractor cant give you that number then he has no business being a contractor.
But what dfack do i know, ive only been doing this for 10 years

Don't hand over any money besides a small deposit after they've showed up with the tools, ready to work. Work out a progress payment plan. Pay them when framing is up, pay them when electrical and plumbing is roughed in, pay them when drywall is finished, etc. Hold back at least 30% to pay at completion, and another 10% as a 2-4 week holdback just in case you're on the edge about details or particulars, or if there are 'minor touches' to complete.

Try looking up the reviews on Homestars.com . You can find every trade/contrator there with reviews and rating. I've used it to locate a few trades, including cleaning services. Pretty accurate! The ones I chose had over 100 reviews and 10/10 ratings.

hired these folks to reno my basement last year

1200 sq ft...added a nice bathroom, built a kitchen quality laundry area, an epic gym with a rubber floor....lots of finished storage space, pot lights everywhere, etc etc

http://agmrenovations.com/

they were prompt on coming out for an estimate

estimate was detailed line-by-line...the fellow measured every inch of the space....and I could see how much money was going toward each and every element of the job

we set up a start date with about 6-7 weeks notice....and they were there everyday (even Sundays) until the job was complete....took about 5 weeks

they had a designer come out just prior to the start and re-measure the place and put it into 3D software so you could see the finished space before hand

1st payment didn't happen until they dropped off framing and drywall material on day 1 and that payment pretty much covered materials.....then there were ongoing payments due when various stages of the job were completed....if memory serves the final payment was 20%

they did an awesome job....give em ring

Good luck with what?? Asking for the break down of how your contractor arrived at $40k????? Im not talking about pricing part of the reno to get done later, but asking how much of the $40k is allocated to drywall.
If your contractor cant give you that number then he has no business being a contractor.
But what dfack do i know, ive only been doing this for 10 years

The OP wants a finished basement, what does he care what you spent on drywall, or tiles, or whatever, it's really of no use to him, it's a package deal for a finished basement...

so you have some drywall left over from a previous job, or some fell off the back of a truck, your going to tell me that 10 sheets are costing me nothing because you didn't pay for them, sure you will....

I think your 10 years is not enough,,,,,next time I need work done at my place, I am going to call you for a quote, I will have a really good idea on what you pay for material, and I will make sure I can find it somewhere cheaper, buy it and then have you just do the labour for the price you have given me, I am sure you will include your labour price separate as well,,,,right....

let me see a linear foot of trim is 4 bucks at HomeDepot, but I can get it at Rex Lumber for 1.20, are you really going to tell me this......

A gallon of paint is 50 bucks at homedepot, I can get it at Benjamin Moore for 26 bucks, I am going to tell you that.....I don't think so, but to paint your room its 150 bucks, so who cares how much the paint is....the OP is not buying the paint and or doing the painting

What I will tell you is to finish your basement as per your request will cost you 40K, how I got to that is my business, I am sure if I charged you 100 bucks a sheet of drywall and free labour or showed you a price just for labour and said the drywall is free, it won't make a difference, all the OP is interested is in how much the finished basement will cost him.....

in a complete finished basement, a break down is not necessary as it serves no point.....

?

no suggestions on contractors but I saw an ad for a home renovation show I think this weekend in Toronto...google it...

We had a really good company change two bedrooms on the second floor into a kitchen/dining room.
Later that year they put in an accessible washroom/shower on the main floor.
A few years later, they changed them back.
We had them redo the basement a year or two ago.
We had lots of ground water, so had a company come in and dig it up, and resurface it,
and this one move walls around, insulate, rewire, drywall etc.

Oriel Renovations. http://homestars.com/companies/218955-oriel-renovations

Hopefully, you don't have any asbestos, we had some basement tiles that had to be removed.

The OP wants a finished basement, what does he care what you spent on drywall, or tiles, or whatever, it's really of no use to him, it's a package deal for a finished basement...

so you have some drywall left over from a previous job, or some fell off the back of a truck, your going to tell me that 10 sheets are costing me nothing because you didn't pay for them, sure you will....

I think your 10 years is not enough,,,,,next time I need work done at my place, I am going to call you for a quote, I will have a really good idea on what you pay for material, and I will make sure I can find it somewhere cheaper, buy it and then have you just do the labour for the price you have given me, I am sure you will include your labour price separate as well,,,,right....

let me see a linear foot of trim is 4 bucks at HomeDepot, but I can get it at Rex Lumber for 1.20, are you really going to tell me this......

A gallon of paint is 50 bucks at homedepot, I can get it at Benjamin Moore for 26 bucks, I am going to tell you that.....I don't think so, but to paint your room its 150 bucks, so who cares how much the paint is....the OP is not buying the paint and or doing the painting

What I will tell you is to finish your basement as per your request will cost you 40K, how I got to that is my business, I am sure if I charged you 100 bucks a sheet of drywall and free labour or showed you a price just for labour and said the drywall is free, it won't make a difference, all the OP is interested is in how much the finished basement will cost him.....

in a complete finished basement, a break down is not necessary as it serves no point.....

?

Some guys are really great hard workers, that don't have a clue about the business.
They make estimates off the top of their heads, and them start trying to come back for more and more money.
I think the idea was to weed some of them out.

?

as a homeowner who has hired out for extensive renos over the past 5 years.....I gotta say.....if this is your sales pitch I wouldn't hire you

I've had pitches that lacked detail and they never got my business

in my mind....if the quote lacks detail then it leaves a gaping hole open for interpretation from both sides....and that's not a comfortable place for the home owner

in my experience, the basement reno, although not the most expensive, it is arguably the biggest space and has so many different elements (depending on the scope of the reno) that it is by far the reno that needs the most detail in a quote

customers don't need to know whatever a sheet of drywall costs...but they need a detailed intemized quote and "package deal" quotes are frankly...an insult

There should be a set of prints/ plans and the quote should be to complete them.

Residential builds with no prints and just a quote to supply + install such and such are a cluster ****.

This is pretty open ended, its a finished basement. Do you really need plans and prints to finish a large open space , a couple closets and a 2 pc crapper station? The same area can cost 12k, 20k, or 40k. just know what your getting and get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom