Getting Insurance for a Sports Motorcycle After 1 Claim | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting Insurance for a Sports Motorcycle After 1 Claim

IbbadMurtaza

Hey there fellas.! Alright, I know this post might seem like a joke to some of the brothers in this forum, but it's a serious question. So without any further due, let's get into this.

This is a brief history of my motorcycle life.
In 2017, I bought and sold my first bike, 2015 Ninja 300.
In 2018, I bought and sold my second bike, 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.
In April of 2019, I bought a 2015 Suzuki Boulevard M50, but I was involved in an at-fault accident, and claimed it.

Last month, I purchased a 2013 Suzuki Boulevard M50, however I have not been riding it much, as I am still trying to get over my collision. I have decided that I would like to sell it and purchase a sports bike. Why right? If I'm such a wuss on a cruiser, I shouldn't even consider a sports bike. The thing is that I crashed on a cruiser and it was a pretty bad experience, I really didn't want to claim it, but I couldn't afford to pay for it's repairs, the insurance company ended up writing it off. What I do know is that if the same crash was to happen on a sports bike, I could easily afford repairs on it and a claim wouldn't be necessary on it. However, I don't want a sports bike because of that reason alone, I want one because I want to ride, I have my 2013 Boulevard parked in my garage and it's insured, I just can't come up with enough courage to sit on it and take it out for a ride. Most knuckleheads would call me a pussy, but I'm being brutally honest.

Now, here's the fun part. My current insurer, Coseco/Cooperators, talked to me after my crash and mentioned that I may get a new motorcycle, and my insurance from my 2015 boulevard would carry over, and my insurance would go up next year, not this year. So I ended up buying the 2013, but wanna sell it and get a sportsbike. I would love to own a Zx-6R, an R6, or a GSXR-600. I know it sounds funny, because insurance prices would be deadly, but if anyone could give me any guidance and help me out here, I'd appreciate it. I'm 25, have my M2, live in Ajax, ON. Who would insure me?

I think you need to spend a lot more time coming to terms with what happened before you pull a trigger on a super sport.

Now to answer: they are already prohibitive to people with clean records to insure, i think you`re going to struggle. You likely don't want to know what the cost to insure would be at renewal time.

Finally; money seems to be a concern for you. "because its cheaper to repair if i crash" says a whole lot about your mindset and i think you`re not being logical at all.

... I would love to own a Zx-6R, an R6, or a GSXR-600...I'm 25, have my M2, live in Ajax, ON. Who would insure me?
SS, licensed under 6 years, M2, under 30 years old ... Who would insure you ? Simply put, only facility but be prepared to cough up 4-8k per year.

Personal opinion: since you're coming off a crash, it's time to take a step back and brush up on your skills on perhaps a smaller bike. Hit the parking lot and practice. Get your M. Then think about upgrading

If you can't get back on your cruiser and ride without worry, sorry to be blunt (although it seems to be what you want), but you have no business on an SS.

And as others have mentioned, you are apt to find yourself uninsurable next season unless you want to be in the $1000+/month club through facility. Everything related to your age, experience, and now the claim will make you kryptonite for insurers, much less on a SS.

Honestly, if you're struggling to get back in the saddle...buying something smaller, simpler, easier, and lighter would be the way to go. Not the complete opposite direction.

Personally I think you should sell the bike and buy another ninja 300. Finish learning what you should have learned before selling it the first time. It will be easier and less intimidating after your crash, it will be easier to learn on, it will be easier to insure next year, and it will be cheaper to fix in the event of another incident.
Trying to step up to a ss at this point with your insurance record, age, and experience is ridiculous imo.
If a 300 doesn't do it for you, look at bikes like a bandit 650, or an mt07, not a ss.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

This is the most illogical post I've read in a long time. You sound like you're all over the map and are continually acting on impulse. Why replace the Boulevard you crashed with the same bike immediately after your first accident only to decide that you want something more powerful weeks later, yet you're still shaky from the whole ordeal? Also, you're thinking a supersport is less costly to repair than a cruiser in an accident? Anything with fairings is more often than not going to cost you more to fix back to like new condition.

If you're thinking about the cost of repairs if you were to crash again, your head is not in the right place. You should be thinking about what bike you should get that is going to help you avoid another accident in the first place. Putting yourself in a new classification of motorcycle with more power, unfamiliar riding ergos, unfamiliar handling characteristics, etc. is not going to help you, it's going to do the opposite.

Unfortunately I think you'll find the reality is that your days of being an insured motorcyclist are numbered even if you stuck with the current bike. You need to lay low and hope your rates don't sky rocket with the bike you're on. If you're uneasy about riding the bike you have now, downgrade the bike to something more familiar like your previous 300 or considering taking a step back from riding altogether for the time being.

Well, even if I were to accept your reasoning that a "SS will be cheaper to repair than a cruiser", which I don't for reasons already stated.

We don't have the details of your "at fault" collision. If your riding an SS, (You sound rather immature, and VERY impulsive), your most likely going to be riding it a LOT faster than your cruiser, so the cost to repair the bike will in all likelihood be a moot point, as you will be way too injured to ride again if not dead!!

As stated go back to a 300 and this time ride it for a FEW seasons to get the skills you need, rather than going with the mindset well this is boring and I am already, after ONE season such and expert rider I can handle a LOT more power. Because OBVIOUSLY, you can't hence an at fault claim

I didn't know SS's were cheaper to repair than cruisers. Where's the data? I'm very interested in your research.
........And that's not even the most illogical part of your post.

Personally I think you should sell the bike and buy another ninja 300. Finish learning what you should have learned before selling it the first time. It will be easier and less intimidating after your crash, it will be easier to learn on, it will be easier to insure next year, and it will be cheaper to fix in the event of another incident.
Trying to step up to a ss at this point with your insurance record, age, and experience is ridiculous imo.
If a 300 doesn't do it for you, look at bikes like a bandit 650, or an mt07, not a ss.

I'm with Iceman.

Motorcycling requires development of several behaviours, skills and confidence -- you can't master the activity until you balance these three things.

Sounds to me like you need to rehab your confidence. That's telling -- confidence isn't shattered when you're skills are there -- you'd simply get back on the bike and write off the accident as a mistake. If your skills aren't there, a crash is your wakeup call, broken confidence is the result.

So... take a step back to where you were confident, 300 Ninja, and I'll bet it's easy getting back in the saddle. Put 10K on that bike before you think about moving up.

You'll see this often -- it's more of thrill to ride a little slow bike hard than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

What iceman said!!

Yeah jumping on a gixxer is a whole other BEAST bro . Just call your insurance they will tell u a prox cost other than that If your just coming to terms with ur accident now on the M50 than brother let me tell you you DEFF dont jump up to a gixxer , ZX or a R6 Insurance will guarentee go up way more than it is now cause they look at all style bikes differently . You got cruiser, sport touring , Sport , SUPER-SPORT , than Super Bike and more . The gixxer , ZX6 , R6 etc is a SS supersport which means Way more insurance and way more liability due to the performance because its a powerhouse , Another thing to look at is these bikes are Top heavy not bottom heavy like ur cruiser . As for parts being cheap well thats a Yes and No . I stripped a few gixxers just recently sold them off because i make more parting . and il tell u unless u got a freind to give you great deal on parts they are NOT cheap bro. Front end in good shape just for a newer 600-750 looking at easy 1k-1.5k used cause they are high demand due to lots people crashing them , gas tank alone used easy few hundred not including pump , Body work well if you want OEM they are like gold , if you snap. Chain while riding well might well pull out a 1-2k for new motor due to the busted case stuff like that . Nothngs cheaper about fixing them . I just stripped and parted out my 2012 1000 Gixxer 1000 last month in MINT condition . Cause i knew i get way more parting it out then selling it . My forks and tripples alone sold for 2k plus shipping , not including all other stuff just the dual calipers alone went for 400 bucks engine 2600 just engine , body plastics you name it . All expensive . But just be careful on whatever u get and have a blast its riding season now

So, I can be wrong, but just from this post, it looks like repairs for SS bike would cost more than for the Boulevard. It will at least require new fairings, no?

The Boulevard’s repairs were coming up to $5,200.
I shouldn’t have mentioned repair costs in the post, as it implies that I will crash again. That’s not what I meant.

I believe I would be a lot more comfortable on a sports bike.

Rev ON

I appreciate your reply and advice brother.! Will definitely look into those motorcycles, as well as an SV650.

Rev ON

Yeah jumping on a gixxer is a whole other BEAST bro . Just call your insurance they will tell u a prox cost other than that If your just coming to terms with ur accident now on the M50 than brother let me tell you you DEFF dont jump up to a gixxer , ZX or a R6 Insurance will guarentee go up way more than it is now cause they look at all style bikes differently . You got cruiser, sport touring , Sport , SUPER-SPORT , than Super Bike and more . The gixxer , ZX6 , R6 etc is a SS supersport which means Way more insurance and way more liability due to the performance because its a powerhouse , Another thing to look at is these bikes are Top heavy not bottom heavy like ur cruiser . As for parts being cheap well thats a Yes and No . I stripped a few gixxers just recently sold them off because i make more parting . and il tell u unless u got a freind to give you great deal on parts they are NOT cheap bro. Front end in good shape just for a newer 600-750 looking at easy 1k-1.5k used cause they are high demand due to lots people crashing them , gas tank alone used easy few hundred not including pump , Body work well if you want OEM they are like gold , if you snap. Chain while riding well might well pull out a 1-2k for new motor due to the busted case stuff like that . Nothngs cheaper about fixing them . I just stripped and parted out my 2012 1000 Gixxer 1000 last month in MINT condition . Cause i knew i get way more parting it out then selling it . My forks and tripples alone sold for 2k plus shipping , not including all other stuff just the dual calipers alone went for 400 bucks engine 2600 just engine , body plastics you name it . All expensive . But just be careful on whatever u get and have a blast its riding season now

Thanks for the reply brother.
Finally a reply where someone talks about insurance.
The reason why I put the cost in is because I was shocked when I was told that my M50 would cost me $5,200 to repair. I didn’t know sport bike parts were expensive.
Reason why I thought they were cheap was because my buddy crashed his a few times in the rain and while on curves, he told me he only needed to replace the fairings which cost him $400.

Rev ON

Thanks for the reply brother.
Finally a reply where someone talks about insurance.
The reason why I put the cost in is because I was shocked when I was told that my M50 would cost me $5,200 to repair. I didn’t know sport bike parts were expensive.
Reason why I thought they were cheap was because my buddy crashed his a few times in the rain and while on curves, he told me he only needed to replace the fairings which cost him $400.

Rev ON
I picked up your bike at the auction I'd say the same -- I could have fixed it to look like new with $500 in used parts and a few hours of my time.

If you are able to repair damaged bikes this is the case. If that's not your thing, collision repair es extremely costly on any class of bike.

Taking this back to the subject, a beginner bike is the best advice I can offer a beginner. It's way cooler than no bike, it's way cooler than a fbig bike that has been crashed.

Riding is a skill activity, like anything that required building skill, you need manageable equipment, time and someone/something to mentor/coach you along. Rider training is a great start, but it takes you to the first step -- my experience tells me most riders need to cover 10,000km over a couple of years to become proficient on the street. After that, most will be able to ride anything on the road. Another 5 years +100K of riding and you will probably have mastered all the required skills for road riding.

Back
Top Bottom