Getting back into riding, need high risk insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting back into riding, need high risk insurance

Thanks.
I had a CBR500R as my first bike but quickly got bored of it after a season. I’m looking for something with a bit more power than thebCBR500
You just got bored with street riding, not with the power available on that motorcycle.

Thanks.
I had a CBR500R as my first bike but quickly got bored of it after a season. I’m looking for something with a bit more power than thebCBR500
What you want is track days, the power on tap from a CBR500R is more then adequate.

I remember watching a bunch of experienced riders do a Racer5 lesson at Grand Bend, kinda interesting to see how self professed expert street riders get humbled by CBR125's at the track.

Buy yourself a track-only bike to exorcise those NFS demons. Hell, get a litre-bike and knock yourself out during track days.

If you want to ride on the street but are unwilling or unable to pay the insurance cartel's diktat then you'll have to get a "lesser" bike and gradually build the trust of the insurance over years of incident (and ticket-less) riding.

Hey man! Any update? Did you end up going facility? I’m in a worse boat, new rider and I’ve got 3 tickets. Would love to get an idea of where you stand now.

Hey man! Any update? Did you end up going facility? I’m in a worse boat, new rider and I’ve got 3 tickets. Would love to get an idea of where you stand now.
Ugh. Park the bike for a few years. Seriously. You could buy a condo with the money you will burn on insurance.

Decided not to get back into motorcycles. I wish I would, but financially it just doesn’t make sense with the insurance, and I’ve had too many close calls to warrant me coming back. I’m sticking with buying a project car instead.

Decided not to get back into motorcycles. I wish I would, but financially it just doesn’t make sense with the insurance, and I’ve had too many close calls to warrant me coming back. I’m sticking with buying a project car instead.

Ever consider going with a company like RBC? They will write you for monthly insurance payments, just pay during the summer months and cancel when the season is done.

Ever consider going with a company like RBC? They will write you for monthly insurance payments, just pay during the summer months and cancel when the season is done.
Huh? First I have heard of that. Well, some used to let you do that, but with unequal monthly insurance allocation, you basically saved no money and had to go through the hassle of reapplying. I thought all companies had canned that scheme long ago.

As ghost touched on, motorcycle insurance is weighted towards riding months even when you may only ride 6 of 12 months of the year. Doing what you're suggesting has two possible outcomes:

1/ You were paying monthly pretty much twice what you would have been paying for a 12 month policy anyways since you're paying for the off months as part of the riding months.
2/ If not...when you cancel you're going to get a big fat bill in the mail from the insurance company for the other 6 months, cancelled policy, or not.

No insurance on an annual basis means no plate on an annual basis :/ how can that be unless you also register the bike as unfit annually and then get a new safety certification annually? I think they could loop-hole you on that one.

Potential dirt bike rider :cool:

No insurance on an annual basis means no plate on an annual basis :/ how can that be unless you also register the bike as unfit annually and then get a new safety certification annually? I think they could loop-hole you on that one.
No. Once the vehicle is in your name as fit it remains that way. The mini has been off the road for a bit and I am going to go through it before I put it back on the street. I asked service ontario if there was a length of time without plate stickers where you would get bumped back to unfit. Nope. Smh. Oh well, cheaper for me (and helpful as it has no speedo so a mechanic wouldnt want to pass it)

No. Once the vehicle is in your name as fit it remains that way. The mini has been off the road for a bit and I am going to go through it before I put it back on the street. I asked service ontario if there was a length of time without plate stickers where you would get bumped back to unfit. Nope. Smh. Oh well, cheaper for me (and helpful as it has no speedo so a mechanic wouldnt want to pass it)
Good to know.
speedo' are out of style anyway and highly over-rated ;)

Yep, you can let any vehicle that’s currently registered as “FIT” sit for 30 years in a barn, and then just go buy a sticker, and boom, perfectly road legal again.

chances are slim to none it’s actually safe, but on paper it’s legal.

This is why a lot of jurisdictions in the US has annual inspections required to ensure that vehicles are maintaining basic safety standards.

Yep, you can let any vehicle that’s currently registered as “FIT” sit for 30 years in a barn, and then just go buy a sticker, and boom, perfectly road legal again.

chances are slim to none it’s actually safe, but on paper it’s legal.

This is why a lot of jurisdictions in the US has annual inspections required to ensure that vehicles are maintaining basic safety standards.
30 year old tires and hydraulic brakes :/ I can guarantee you it is perfectly unsafe. Our system is @#$%ed.
But wait :unsure: if it is currently registered as "FIT" that means he has been buying plates and insurance for the last 30 years, so yes by law he is good to go, otherwise it is not "currently" registered. Seems to be an inconsistency in that theory.

Back
Top Bottom