Getting back into riding, need high risk insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting back into riding, need high risk insurance

Alderson

Hey everyone,
I road for about 2 years, but sold my bike last spring and have been regretting it since.

I’m looking at getting back into riding but need some assistance getting insurance.

I’m 27 will be 28 when I get my bike
Have my M2
2 years riding experience

I’m looking at getting a G-SXR600 or a similar model.
I had a GSXR600 before and was paying out the ass for insurance which is why I got rid of it after a few months of fun.

I’m hoping with another couple years on my age my insurance will be a bit less. I believe I was with Facility or some other high risk insurance company.

Does anyone know of the correct name of the insurance company, or can suggest another company I should call?

I remember when I was first looking for insurance, a lot of them wouldn’t insure the type of bike.

Thanks

Any broker can get you a quote from facility. I would strongly recommend getting something slower and cheaper to learn with where you can still have a ton of fun while saving up some money for your next bike. Something like a 250/300 are a blast on the street and insurance will probably be ~20% of a 600 sportbike.

Any broker can get you a quote from facility. I would strongly recommend getting something slower and cheaper to learn with where you can still have a ton of fun while saving up some money for your next bike. Something like a 250/300 are a blast on the street and insurance will probably be ~20% of a 600 sportbike.
Thanks.
I had a CBR500R as my first bike but quickly got bored of it after a season. I’m looking for something with a bit more power than thebCBR500

You'll get raped all over again as insurance companies only consider consecutive accident free years of coverage towards any reduction of risk, and therefore, rate.

The fact you sold your bike and didn't have insurance for that time, coupled with the fact you still only have an M2 puts you squarely back in the high risk category. And that category got a lot more painful this year when several underwriters exited the sport bike market, and others tightened up their requirements.

So yeah, buy something smaller. Learn to do and enjoy other things on the bike vs needing to go insanely fast in a straight line. Anyone can do that.

Otherwise, after a few months of insanely big deductions from your bank account again you'll be feeling the same way you did before, especially with the end of the season being only weeks away...

If you got bored of the 500 and you're still on an M2, I think maybe you've been mainly entranced by that awesome acceleration of the 600. I agree that the insurance companies are going to have their way with you if get another gsxr. As mentioned, any broker can hook you up with Facility. They're for drivers with serious driving offences and newish riders who want a supersport.
Why not look for other ways to challenge yourself on a less expensive bike to own? Like concentrating on excelling at handling corners and sweepers. Go on the track. Or maybe look into dual sport.

If you got bored of the 500 and you're still on an M2, I think maybe you've been mainly entranced by that awesome acceleration of the 600.

Why not look for other ways to challenge yourself on a less expensive bike to own? Like concentrating on excelling at handling corners and sweepers. Go on the track.

This. Many motorcycle owners haven't found, experienced or even come close to using a massive majority of what their bike is capable of, particularly new/inexperienced supersport owners.

What's
Hey everyone,
I road for about 2 years, but sold my bike last spring and have been regretting it since.

I’m looking at getting back into riding but need some assistance getting insurance.

I’m 27 will be 28 when I get my bike
Have my M2
2 years riding experience

I’m looking at getting a G-SXR600 or a similar model.
I had a GSXR600 before and was paying out the ass for insurance which is why I got rid of it after a few months of fun.

I’m hoping with another couple years on my age my insurance will be a bit less. I believe I was with Facility or some other high risk insurance company.

Does anyone know of the correct name of the insurance company, or can suggest another company I should call?

I remember when I was first looking for insurance, a lot of them wouldn’t insure the type of bike.

Thanks
First thing to do is to figure out what you hope to get out of riding, then match that to the bike and venues. M2 and SS bikes are a dangerous cocktail -- for both insurers and riders.

Learning how to get rolling around on a motorcycle is relatively easy -- a couple of hours in a parking lot with an instructor is all most riders need to get started. Learning how to ride takes time. Nobody is 'born ready' for an SS, after a few years, 50,000km seat time and probably a weekend or two of track to become an SS novice. I understand the coolness factor that comes with an SS, but realistically an M2 rider should understand that no matter how cool it looks, that's all lost if you can't handle the machine.

A practical approach might be to start on a 300 (R3, or Ninja). They are cheap to buy, and cheap to insure. You can outrun almost any car on the road and if you're good, you can keep up with the average 600cc owner through the twisties. When you reach the riding limits on that bike, you will be ready to step up -- buy that time you will have an M and 5 years of riding experience -- the 600cc SS insurance will be a fraction of what it would cost you today.

If you really want that bigger bike, opt for a 650 standard, ADV or ST -- till a handful for most M2 riders, but not as expensive or hairy as a 600cc SS.

Id recommend waiting 4 years, so you can hit that 6 year licensed threshold and be over the age of 30.

Life is short, if youre paying insurance for a bike that you arent even enjoying - whats the point?

Last edited:
Yes, years continuously *insured* matters. Very much.

Just because someone has had their motorcycle license forever and a day means little to nothing to underwriters if it wasn’t actually used, or in the OP’s case, used much, with still a graduated license at that.

Like mentioned you have a bit of a problem not having coverage for the past 2 years.

Anyways. Any broker can give you a facility quote, if they are willing to is a different story though. I don't know if I would go all the way back down to a 300 but there's lots of fun bikes out there that won't give you a complete beating on insurance. Triumph Street triple, Yamaha FZ-07/FZ-09, SV650, KTM 690 and now 790 duke etc. Basically odds are if it has a handlebar insurance can be found for a reasonable amount but with clip ons insurance is pretty heavy until you have quite a few years under your belt.

I dont know about the street trip or fz09, but the rest of the middle weights are probably decent.

Yes, years continuously *insured* matters. Very much. .
Yes to that. If you let your insurance lapse, most insurers restart the clock on your experience. Lapsing 1 season can double the cost of insurance for an experienced rider.

Like mentioned you have a bit of a problem not having coverage for the past 2 years.

Anyways. Any broker can give you a facility quote, if they are willing to is a different story though. I don't know if I would go all the way back down to a 300 but there's lots of fun bikes out there that won't give you a complete beating on insurance. Triumph Street triple, Yamaha FZ-07/FZ-09, SV650, KTM 690 and now 790 duke etc. Basically odds are if it has a handlebar insurance can be found for a reasonable amount but with clip ons insurance is pretty heavy until you have quite a few years under your belt.

FWIW there are a bunch of bikes that will do 0-100kph just as quickly as a 600ss without the horrible insurance cost. Some have already been suggested

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

FWIW there are a bunch of bikes that will do 0-100kph just as quickly as a 600ss without the horrible insurance cost. Some have already been suggested

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
A Yamaha R3 gets to 100KMH faster than an Aston Martin Vantage, Audi A5 or Q7, BMW 740e, Camaro RS, Dodge Charger or Challenger R/T, any Subahroo and almost anything else on the road. Isn't that good enough?

If the FZ/MT-07/09 doesn't tickle your fancy, look at the CBR650F. More streetable power and reasonable insurance.

Basically odds are if it has a handlebar insurance can be found for a reasonable amount but with clip ons insurance is pretty heavy until you have quite a few years under your belt.
Ehhh...don't the 300 sport bikes have clip ons?

If the FZ/MT-07/09 doesn't tickle your fancy, look at the CBR650F. More streetable power and reasonable insurance.
More streetable then what?

Back
Top Bottom