Gear Recommendations - Commuting | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear Recommendations - Commuting

Abrasion damage on the chest is very unlikely in an off.

Even then the mesh does not "fall apart" even if abraded.
The bigger issue is arnor moving around - one reason I use independent knee armor that I know will stay in place.

My JR jacket is forever old and has hard armour shells in elbows and shoulders and I just recently upgraded the back armour to something cooler and also with much better protection.

I lke buying gear from Kiji and have done very well.
$50 for my JR mesh that still serves me well on two continents, has taken some off pavement falls in the past decade.

I scored a lovely brand new Honda jacket for $80 and a C3 lid for $300 ( mainly for cool weather ...the pin lock is terrific and the helmet is warm )
I find too many helmets are wildly over priced for the value.

I like 3/4 or modular helmets ...if you are commuting being able to flip the helmet up in barely moving traffic is a big plus.

For gloves I like First Gear but gloves are a tricky fit with big hands.

For riding pants AirGlide 3 ( tho now newer model ) ....they've been through hell and still look new when washed - mesh gear is easy to layer with technical under layers.
I notice there is some Airglide gear on Kiji at the moment.

Last edited:
Mesh will work if you`re okay with layering up underneath in spring and fall, grab a balaclava for the face and neck under the helmet. The downside to mesh is it can just fall apart if you go down and slide. Maybe look into a partial textile/mesh jacket. You might sweat a bit more in the heat, wear a moisture wicking base layer underneath and change into a fresh shirt at work and you`re good to go.
Not many textile jackets, mesh or Cordura, will be beautiful after a slide. On road jackets are designed to do a few things in a fall: 1) slow you down quickly, 2) protect your skin from roadrash, 3) spread impact forces around your spine and joints.

Keeping cool in a jacket is a function of color and ventilation. I find well vented light colored jackets with no mesh, they work in hot days and cool nights as-is. Mesh jackets are chilly at night and you get soaked with the lightest rain -- means you have to carry extra layers and rainwear when travelling.

Even then the mesh does not "fall apart" even if abraded.
The bigger issue is arnor moving around - one reason I use independent knee armor that I know will stay in place.

My JR jacket is forever old and has hard armour shells in elbows and shoulders and I just recently upgraded the back armour to something cooler and also with much better protection.

I lke buying gear from Kiji and have done very well.
$50 for my JR mesh that still serves me well on two continents, has taken some off pavement falls in the past decade.

I scored a lovely brand new Honda jacket for $80 and a C3 lid for $300 ( mainly for cool weather ...the pin lock is terrific and the helmet is warm )
I find too many helmets are wildly over priced for the value.

I like 3/4 or modular helmets ...if you are commuting being able to flip the helmet up in barely moving traffic is a big plus.
About the Schuberth, I noticed that mine seems unusually warm in summer. Recently took the time to actually read the owners manual that came with it. Found out there is a "summer" and "winter" setting with these helmets. Going to try it out this year with the summer settings as mine has been in winter mode lol.
Included a shot of the manual page in case you dont have one and a before and after shot of the triangular winter flaps folded up. In the second shot you can just see the ventilation ports exposed with flaps folded out of the way.
I always figured I knew how to operate a helmet. Who knew it might be beneficial to read the manual?
bac7958bd7d9d30a410d5d0602d39920.jpg
e8a5af36e5dafd19ce6ae37a85faf27c.jpg
fd1f377a05c3d9ac1861e0aad4d3520b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Spend an hour watching some vids. Fortnine especially has some amazing videos on the best bang for your buck gear. You can supplement that with Revzilla videos to see back to back differences between very specific gear. I agree that some used stuff that is lightly worn (like some jackets) can be a big savings. Just make sure it fits. One size wrong either way and you're throwing away comfort and safety for $100.

This references "cheap" gear which simply means inexpensive not inexperienced.

Reactions: J_F
I commute to 80km round trip daily to work. It all depends on how comfortable you want to be. Perforated leather jackets work well as long as you are moving. I mix it up between the perf leather and mesh. If it's going to be 25c+ on the ride home I will opt for the mesh jacket, anything below that I wear the leather. Try to get a white jacket if you can, I find its a lot cooler than a black jacket.
Get a nice pair of shorty gloves that breath well (I like my Joe Rocket highside jr and Alpinestar SMX air carbon for hot days and gauntlets for the cooler days).
If you are interested in jeans I highly recommend ressurgence jeans. They are Kevlar lined from the waist all the way down, have a nice stretchy denim feel and have D 30 armor in the knees and waist. You can't even feel the armor in them which is great. When you are off your bike they look like normal jeans.
It doesn't matter if I am riding up the street for a couple tall cans or going for a weekend cruise, I always wear boots (SMX 6). Something about tucking my pants into full size boots that just feels right.
Also, grab yourself a tank bag. It's alot more comfortable and cooler than wearing a backback. I have the cortech magnetic tank bag and it is enough to fit my work clothes and lunch with some spare room. If you ride a sports bike it's fine, it won't get in the way unless you always are in full tuck position on highway (which I don't see why you would be).
GP bikes is having a no HST sale with additional discounts on certain items from April 11th to April 21st. I'd give them a shot. The spring show is generally a big waste of time.....the show in January is the one that has the deals on gear.
Good luck!

Jackets don't need to be motorcycle specific jackets to be good, important features are closures that don't let the wind through, easy to manage with gloves on and constructed of material that does not billow out like a sail when riding at speed.
Silly me thought the most important feature of a motorcycle jacket was that it would actually do what a motorcycle jacket is supposed to do: protect you. Anything else is bonus. Considering even many motorcycle-specific jackets will just disintegrate I wouldn't trust many non-motorcycle jackets to do anything.

There are jackets and there is body armour and there are jackets that incorporate body armour, it all works if it works for you.

... Aprillia RS125 (y) sweet! yes you will probably be wearing a one piece leather race suit with a hump on the back.

Last edited:
Comfort is kind of relative. My Klim jacket weighs a ton off the bike but it’s vented and the kidney belt takes most of the weight off it when seated. I wear an airbag vest over the top that’s heavy again off the bike but the fact it’s high viz and it’s extra insurance actually adds to my comfort level so much so that it feels weird if I head out without the combo.

There are jackets and there is body armour and there are jackets that incorporate body armour, it all works if it works for you.

... Aprillia RS125 (y) sweet! yes you will probably be wearing a one piece leather race suit with a hump on the back.
Lol I do OWN a one piece leather suit with a hump from one of the suit group buys like 5 years ago (Leather Links or something?). Unfortunately they ignored my customization request to have it made without the hump (as well as with extra perforation panels) and the guy in Hamilton I went to for measurements before ordering didn't believe the number he got for my shoulder width and took a couple of inches off so it's too tight in the shoulders so I don't really wear it any more. I should probably sell it or get it modified. I'm not sure if I've ever even worn it on the RS125, actually.

Plus the one piece isn't the easiest to change in/out of when I get to work (I use it to commute in the summer).

Ok, back on topic now... ?

I'm thinking of going with one of those Tiez Motorsport Air suits or two piece combos for commuting. Although with the exchange rate how it is they are still pretty costly. Or possibly going all custom perforated leather from Vanson Leathers (but that's even more $$$). Knowing me I'll probably just procrastinate on the decision and continue to use my old jacket and just double layered jeans with knee pads (which I don't really trust for abrasion resistance at all).

For me...Kevlar jeans aren’t probably going to be used very much. I wear business casual or dress clothes to work, so pants overtop of that will be needed.

My JR pants right now are fine. A little big but fine for now.

I’ll look into the jacket and helmet recommendations. I like the idea of a built in sun visor

For helmets I've been using this:
Shark Evoline 3 ST Hakka Helmet
shark_evoline3_st_hakka_helmet_white_black_red_750x750.jpg

Lots of good features (including built in sun visor). Whole front flips up if I need to talk to someone, get more air, scratch my face, get a drink, etc. Makes it so I don't have to take off my helmet if I stop to grab a few groceries or something while commuting.

Looks super dorky flipped up, though. Not as bad as some convertibles though.

Also gets a full 5 star SHARP safety rating which I believe is not that common for convertible helmets.

For me...Kevlar jeans aren’t probably going to be used very much. I wear business casual or dress clothes to work, so pants overtop of that will be needed.

My JR pants right now are fine. A little big but fine for now.

I’ll look into the jacket and helmet recommendations. I like the idea of a built in sun visor

Same... I want to start commuting to work this summer but my dress code is business casual so I have dress pants on. I don't really want to change pants when I get to work so I was thinking an overpant should work. But I also don't want one that is baggy and looks like you are wearing snowpants.

Same... I want to start commuting to work this summer but my dress code is business casual so I have dress pants on. I don't really want to change pants when I get to work so I was thinking an overpant should work. But I also don't want one that is baggy and looks like you are wearing snowpants.
I ride to work and change clothes and visa versa for the trip home, takes 2 minutes of your day.

I ride to work and change clothes and visa versa for the trip home, takes 2 minutes of your day.
Takes me longer just to put my helmet and gloves on, lol.

or wear a stylish over jacket that doesn't make you look like a power ranger.
Carrying a helmet covered in bug juice and stinky gloves will always be a give-away.

You know I actually had a doctor once ask if I was going to give him a discount because I rode my motorcycle to Ottawa to service his equipment.
Wasn't even in question until he seen my helmet as I was leaving :| <- he Was getting a travel discount, right up until he asked not so nicely!

Back
Top Bottom