Gas rage | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas rage

Now we see the reason behind Alberta's urgency on the KM TM pipeline. They want to cash in on cartel-driven oil prices...

desperation to create a market
the world doesn't need their oil
and a lot of it doesn't want it either

now if they'd had the wisdom is the 70's to look ahead
and accept the NEP, they would be in a very different situation now
but a place/people with no history, don't do well with the future

Because safety! LoL

i can't understand people who buy these behemoth trucks and SUVs for no reason but wanting to be a larger presence on the road. We have the 2012 Rogue which is very comfortable and size wise the max I'd want to go.
Although this post is over half a year old by now, i find that the biggest MOST people need (say with 2 kids) is a wagon.
Better handling as there's lower centre of gravity/less body roll, my wagon actually has more storage space the most SUVs (and i'm not talking about 2-row SUVs obviously), it's easier for my toddler to get in and out of my car... and the safety ratings tend to be better in cars than suvs as well and that's without talking about the main subject of the thread, GAS savings.

Well consumers don't really seem to care other than just some token crying. The number 1 best seller in Canada is the Ford F150 fashion truck. It has also gotten to the point that Ford is dropping all but two of its car models because no one is buying them:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/ford-s...f-the-car-business-in-north-america-1.3902920

Chrysler already dropped for 2018 the Dart and 200 because they are not selling (enough). GM has made similar moves.

In the end the consumer is buying larger less efficient vehicles so it sends a clear message, fuel prices are not too high, crank them up please. I will say most of the modern big vehicles get impressive mileage for there size but they will always consume more than a smaller more aerodynamic vehicle using the same technology, it is physics.

This tends to go in cycles, there was talk of similar moves (dropping cars) before oil hit >$100 and then there was a short trend to sanity vehicle wise, now we are back to gas price is no concern at the dealership.

IMO, if you have an efficient vehicle I share your concerns about the impact of fuel prices. If you have a fashion truck or SUV STFU...

BTW, best time to hit Costco if you have a fuel efficient vehicle for gas is in the morning (open to ~8AM), shortest line-ups. If you have a fashion truck best time is around 6PM....
I'll agree there are truck posers, just like there are bike posers but you have to put that into perspective. The popularity of pickups has lee to do about posing and most to do about places where the climate, roads and vehicle universality requirements point to a truck being the best vehicle to own. It's hard to be a tradesman, hunter, power sports enthusiast, small business owner farmer, resident of Fort Mac etc, without having a truck.

While trucks are more durable and utilitarian, the downside is fuel consumption. For some that's important financial consideration, for other's it's not. If I could only have one vehicle, I think it would have to be a truck -- for the 24000km I drive each year, the fuel premium for an F150 over a Focus is about $2200 @$1.40/l.

That Golf would never hold all the crap I drag with me when I go glamping.
It's also not happy on 90% of the roads in Alberta and BC -- the ones made of rocks, dirt, washboard and washouts. Would also look kinda strange with a gunrack in the back window and a moose strapped to the hood.

It's also not happy on 90% of the roads in Alberta and BC -- the ones made of rocks, dirt, washboard and washouts. Would also look kinda strange with a gunrack in the back window and a moose strapped to the hood.
Sure.

4 million population in alberta.

1.2 million in calgary area
1.1 million in edmonton area

Out of that population i'm pretty sure a big majority doesn't get to see those roads but might have the trucks for show.

Hunting season is a very specific period and it's not like you'll be bringing back several moose, at least if you're following regulations.

But i guess people are gonna buy what they want to look the way they want to and not give a damn about whether or not the gas costs a lot...think about it later and b!tch at the increasing costs of it.

As my friend joked around a few years ago when we went on a ski trip in here dad's F150 "I know why it's called F150, costs $150 to fill the damn thing"

That Golf would never hold all the crap I drag with me when I go glamping.
I'd suggest an honest try and not quite so much hyperbole beforehand. If it isn't big enough there are many slightly bigger vehicles that are still smaller in stature but can comfortably handle glamping for most people.

I hear this all the time and these vehicles hold far more than people realize. Fold down seats add much utility. And I bring the kitchen sink. I have oversize luxury sleeping bags, oversize luxury air mattresses, 5 person tent, hiking equipment, biking/hiking parts/spares and tools, two coolers (one XL), lots of food and drinks, clothes (and extras) to suit weather from near freezing to 30+, rain gear, maps, toiletries, back packs, various other spares, cooking equipment, bulk water, chairs, axe, etc, etc, etc. In the end I'm just saying that many smaller vehicles now-a-days get significantly underestimated for such duties.

I switched from a full size truck to this car and essentially haven't missed a beat.

Last edited:
...But i guess people are gonna buy what they want to look the way they want to and not give a damn about whether or not the gas costs a lot...think about it later and b!tch at the increasing costs of it....
Like I said before, some buy vehicles based on heir taste - group anyone who drives a V8 powered or exotic car -- not purchased for the need. Trucks also have a utilitarian value that's important to some people.

I keep 4wd pickup, it's not my daily driver. I bought it for my business years ago because I needed one for business. When I sold the business, I kept the truck because I find it convenient when transporting stuff (bikes, towing my boat, bringing home drywall and topsoil), rough country camping, and on sloppy winter days. Am I a truck poser? No. Neither are the 20 folks on my street that also have pickups sitting beside their little sedans.

FWIW I've had a truck for a long time.

I won't be racing this year, or likely next year either, or who knows when.... so I really have no need to tow anything. I'm going to sell the truck soon and get a small 5 door wagon. Maybe a Volt, maybe a Lexus CT200h, maybe a TDI Golf.... depends on how much driving I think I'll be doing.

Last edited:
My "big" vehicle is a Honda CRV and, honestly, it fits the bill easily for 95% of what we do. The problem is that it's a terrible tow vehicle. It has a 1500 lb tow rating, but it doesn't even tow a double bike trailer with a single bike on it very well. I'd really like to get a small, plain-jane, tent trailer, but they're hard to find below 1000 lbs, plus you have to factor the camping equipment that eats into the GVWR. The latest Subaru Forster and Nissan Rogue only have a 1000 lb tow rating. I think the downfall of the smaller vehicles is that the legal team and the design goal of lightness has killed the utility that would allow many people to stick with a smaller vehicle.

My "big" vehicle is a Honda CRV and, honestly, it fits the bill easily for 95% of what we do. The problem is that it's a terrible tow vehicle. It has a 1500 lb tow rating, but it doesn't even tow a double bike trailer with a single bike on it very well. I'd really like to get a small, plain-jane, tent trailer, but they're hard to find below 1000 lbs, plus you have to factor the camping equipment that eats into the GVWR. The latest Subaru Forster and Nissan Rogue only have a 1000 lb tow rating. I think the downfall of the smaller vehicles is that the legal team and the design goal of lightness has killed the utility that would allow many people to stick with a smaller vehicle.

How often would you be camping? Would it be feasible to rent a pick up for those camping excursions?

This is North American lawyer values.

Meaning the vehicle has the capability to do it, if done right. But their lawyers won't allow it, and also well.. good for suv sales.

North America doesnt suggest VW Sportwagen tow,
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-estate-vii-pa/explore

on their european website the tow assist is a feature... with 1300KG capacity for towing in their brochure

I bought a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0L Turbo engine and AWD. With the 2.0L engine it has a 3,500 lb towing capacity. Normal driving for me it is averaging 10.0 l/100km.

Can't complain about the vehicle at all, got a good deal on a barely used lease return.

Good on gas for cruising around, was great with the AWD and snows in the winter and can tow pretty much anything i'll need to tow with the cargo capacity to load it up and head to track days.

How often would you be camping? Would it be feasible to rent a pick up for those camping excursions?
This is a great option that for some strange reason most people immediately dismiss out of hand without thinking more about at all. I'd say it's better to have a vehicle that handles 95% of what you want to do in an excellent manner and rent a truck for the other times when you need one, as opposed to getting a vehicle that handles 100% of what you want to do but has some significant compromises. The first way gets you the best vehicle for your needs all the time; the second way gets you an average vehicle with compromises most of the time. Plus when crunching the costs it's often pretty much a wash between the two scenarios.

I also see the added bonus in 5% renting of switching things up from time to time and trying out new vehicles without having to buy. It's nice to have some variety and change things up. Many people buy, get bored, and buy again. That's a costly endeavour.

For some people there are other options than renting as well. Borrowing or swapping vehicles with family or friends can be a reasonable option as well.

Last edited:
Surprising.I thought they would be a bit better than that.With that first tank it was never over 6k rpm tho.

I could probably fit your EFI unit into my float bowl, Rick. :p

41007503184_5f07f41b42_b.jpg

dateposted

Nice! What's inside the motor?

Nice! What's inside the motor?

11:1 piston, Falicon rod, Kibblewhite springs, OS valves, flowed head, custon ground stage 2 Hot Cam, Quicksilver pumper carb bored to 44mm, Big Gun OS header.......hence the dual SPAL fans behind the right rad. It gets really ****** off at long stop lights.

11:1 piston, Falicon rod, Kibblewhite springs, OS valves, flowed head, custon ground stage 2 Hot Cam, Quicksilver pumper carb bored to 44mm, Big Gun OS header.......hence the dual SPAL fans behind the right rad. It gets really ****** off at long stop lights.

Awesome.Pic,vid?

In a parallel universe a car similar to mine was in a big hurry and was driving with no regards to fuel consumption. Average mixed city/highway fuel economy was 7.2 L/100 km over 40 km. The price per litre doesn't affect that driver much.

Back
Top Bottom