Garmin Nuvi For GPS Navigation - How do you hear the turn-by-turn instructions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Nuvi For GPS Navigation - How do you hear the turn-by-turn instructions?

Wondering how people hear the turn-by-turn instructions from an "automobile" GPS like the Garmin Nuvi when you are riding a motorcycle? Or do you just not bother and just watch the screen?

I'm going to be using a Nuvi mounted on a Ram Mount for an upcoming trip and I'm just curious.

Probably personal preference, but I have never used audio instructions on any GPS. Far too annoying.

If it has bluetooth, and you have a bluetooth headset, that may be an option.

I just keep an eye, my trips are not usually in very built up areas so the road options are not plentiful. Also I build routes in basecamp so i have an expectation of where I should be going. Just following a gps's choice of routing can put you into some odd locations. Don't miss the voice chirping all the time, would cut into my tunes.

I have one, I can hear it a bit, but the screen is large enough you can glance at your route and see the arrow instructions etc.
Otherwise go with the flow. (y)

My Goldwing has a device that picks up the audio from the GPS and sends it to the headset as if it was an intercom. If the radio is on it gets muted. I got mine from Cycle Max Ohio.

I had to add a jack to the GPS. The hardest part was opening the case.

rnddot.gif
GPS Input Harness (CM1024)
CM1024.JPG
Price:​
$60.00
rnddot.gif
rnddot.gif
Item: CM1024, CM1026 (in stock)
This is a GPS input harness. This was designed to allow audio commands from the GPS to be heard through the intercom. The voice commands will automatically mute any music that may be playing as if it were a passenger speaking and the plug will fit anything with a 3.5mm audio jack. This has a 78" long GPS lead so it will reach any location as well as a ground loop isolator built in to avoid any electrical or alternator noise. It will feed the audio to the headsets connected to the intercom cords; it will not feed audio to the speakers. Our plug and play harness connects easily under the left fairing pocket. It comes with complete instructions and will work on all Goldwing GL1500's, GL1800's and F6B's from 1988-2017. Select the correct model when ordering. 1024, 1026

iPhone paired to headset on my helmet running Google Maps. Turn by turn announced nice and clear.

I tend to zone out and miss turns if I'm not audibly reminded one is coming up. Bad enough to realize you missed a turn 20km back when you're solo and now you have to make a U-turn and backtrack, but when you're leading a group of friends, entirely different.

Constantly looking down at the GPS is just too risky IMHO, especially on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Tried using the audio for GPS once and found it annoying. I'll zone out sometimes on long rides by myself, but not when I'm with other riders - leading or following.
Music all the way.

When I'm following someone else I go into a blissfully clueless state where I really have no idea where the heck I might be (once I get into unfamiliar territory) and really have no desire to care. I'm trusting that the person leading actually has that covered and I can just enjoy the ride and the scenery.

But when I'm leading my commercial experience compels me to know where I'm at constantly, and I'm always planning several KM ahead. I just don't like needing to stare down at the GPS every few KM to see when a turn might be coming up, etc. Audio prompting is so much simpler and means you're only looking down when you really need to.

I guess the other thing that drives me to never miss a turn (and therefore want to know where I'm at within 5m at all times when I'm leading) is the fact that usually I'm in a 75' long vehicle that can't be turned around just anywhere.

Everyone in my shoes who's missed a turn by 200m and then been forced to drive 20 or 30 km to find a spot to turn around and come back tends to get this way eventually. ;)

My problem on the motorcycle is the zoning out thing. When I'm solo and on the open road I have a way of being 1000% aware of traffic around me, risks surrounding me, cars moving in parking lots 1km ahead, that almost imperceptible slight ticking noise in my drive belt that I should check out etc, but on the flip side sometimes becoming blissfully unaware of where I'm physically at. I think again this is a commercial driver thing in me because in the era before satellite radio and all sorts of other on demand entertainment...you had to be able to "turn off" your brain otherwise back to back 1200+km days for weeks at a time would drive you insane.

Yesterday while riding to and from Ottawa for example I zoned out between Cobourg and Kingston. It passed like the snap of a finger to me. Audio book was keeping me entertained and it just flew by. The GPS suddenly chirping in my ear that there was construction ahead (Waze doing it's thing) snapped me back to my actual location.

Constantly looking down at the GPS is just too risky IMHO, especially on a motorcycle.

I use a Garmin 2555 LMT, no bluetooth on that model, and I do have to glance down to see the next turn/distance to the next turn. The GPS is mounted on the clutch master cylinder and is on a 6" extension positioned (all RAM mounts) at about 10 O'clock. It blocks line of sight to the speedometer, so really no issue to quickly read either next turn or actual speed. I listen to music through my Scala and don't want the voice prompts. Yes, every once in a while I miss a turn, but no big deal.

I don't use audio from the GPS or any other audio source for that matter. I enjoy the solitude of the ride and focus on the riding, hazards, etc. I occasionally glance at the GPS for upcoming turns or "is there a blind intersection over that upcoming hill?"

iPhone paired to headset on my helmet running Google Maps. Turn by turn announced nice and clear.

I tend to zone out and miss turns if I'm not audibly reminded one is coming up. Bad enough to realize you missed a turn 20km back when you're solo and now you have to make a U-turn and backtrack, but when you're leading a group of friends, entirely different.

This. Standalone GPS is obsolete IMO.

I just wish Waze wouldn't shut itself off randomly when it's running with the screen turned off. Google Maps doesn't do that.

Standalone GPS is obsolete IMO.

Well, not really. In my travels so far in Ontario, Quebec, BC, AB and in the US (CA, OH, VA, WV, PA, NY, SC, NC, KY etc.....) on remote back roads (the ones we're looking for, right?) there can be zero or very spotty cell coverage for hours. A GPS unit accept routes from a number of mapping programs, is always connected, uses zero data and there are no roaming charges. If you're doing day trips from the GTA then a cell phone is probably fine, if you're on multi days trips on major roads then a cellphone could work too. If you're far away from urban centers then a GPS is nice to have.

there can be zero or very spotty cell coverage for hours.

Many/most GPS nav apps on phones (including Google Maps) can download map data for offline use. I use the function regularly when travelling to the Caribbean.

Said data is also completely up to date at the moment you download it to said phone instead of potentially months or years old on a standalone GPS.

Well, not really. In my travels so far in Ontario, Quebec, BC, AB and in the US (CA, OH, VA, WV, PA, NY, SC, NC, KY etc.....) on remote back roads (the ones we're looking for, right?) there can be zero or very spotty cell coverage for hours. A GPS unit accept routes from a number of mapping programs, is always connected, uses zero data and there are no roaming charges. If you're doing day trips from the GTA then a cell phone is probably fine, if you're on multi days trips on major roads then a cellphone could work too. If you're far away from urban centers then a GPS is nice to have.

A phone's GPS works without a cell signal either. Hell, cell reception disappears at several spots along the 401/20 between TO and MTL.

my TomTom has speakers that can be heard when in town at slow speeds
I usually have sound off though as all it really does is yell at you
when you have decided to deviate from the a route if you have one loaded
eventually it gives up and re-calibrates a new route and stops yelling

it is funny if it starts yelling at you at a red light
cagers think you are speaking to them

I added the "Squirrley" voice to one of my old Garmin car GPS's. When you'd go off route it would loudly yell "AWWWW NUTS, Hold on, recalculating" in a high pitched "Alvin and the Chipmunks" type voice.

That'd be entertaining now. Or annoying. ;)

Back
Top Bottom