Garmin inReach - Necessary? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin inReach - Necessary?

caje

How many people here ride with a Garmin inReach or other SOS/satellite communication device?

I've been thinking of picking one up for the upcoming riding season as I'm planning more remote/longer rides, but the high price and the on-going subscription are making me hesitate.

If you have one, have you found it to be worth the cost? Ever had to use it in an emergency situation?

If you don't have one, any reason why?

I have a "SPOT" , older and now discontinued (by me) and out of service , replaced with a Globalstar sat phone, I also have an EPIRB and an MMSI number. None have ever been used , except the Sat Phone , and that was only used to check in with family when outside a cell range for a long time.

Never had an emergency, and thats how i like it LOL.

The Garmin inreach looks really good for the money, cheap lifeline.

@Lightcycle ?

I don't have one. I probably should. Inreach seems to have a few features that are better than spot. Often when out with a buddy, we carry his spot.

I have a "SPOT" , older and now discontinued (by me) and out of service , replaced with a Globalstar sat phone, I also have an EPIRB and an MMSI number. None have ever been used , except the Sat Phone , and that was only used to check in with family when outside a cell range for a long time.

Never had an emergency, and thats how i like it LOL.

The Garmin inreach looks really good for the money, cheap lifeline.
Watches/yachts/oakville, I thought one of these would have been more your speed.

3.png

I kid. It's an overpriced wank.

I went across Canada solo this past summer. Not great cell reception in most places so I wanted a back-up comms device/emergency beacon. I went with the Zoleo device over the other options for a few reasons.

1)Much less expensive to buy than the inReach mini
2)Plans can be much cheaper (depending on usage)
3)Automagically uses the cheapest connection source (Wifi -> Cellular Data -> Satellite), so you can carry on a continuous text conversation as you move from city to middle-of-nowhere without using up all of your expensive satellite time.
4)Comes with a regular phone number, so people can send regular texts to your device without having to set up an app account (which I thought might be useful if I had to communicate with a tow truck driver or something similar)

It's not something I plan on using much outside of the occasional off the beaten track bike ride or hike, but I have no regrets. I also loaned it to my 72 year old dad with the bad ticker during moose season so that he'd have a way of staying in touch while out in the hunt camp.

I see that this is looking a bit like an ad for Zoleo. I have absolutely no affiliation with the company, I just liked the product.

How many people here ride with a Garmin inReach or other SOS/satellite communication device?

I've been thinking of picking one up for the upcoming riding season as I'm planning more remote/longer rides, but the high price and the on-going subscription are making me hesitate.

If you have one, have you found it to be worth the cost? Ever had to use it in an emergency situation?
If you don't have one, any reason why?

We rode around the world for YEARS in some of the most remote places without a spot locator or emergency beacon.

However, we just picked up a Garmin inReach mini a few weeks ago because of the kind of riding we're now doing.

IMG_20220207_185748-X2.jpg

Back then we were always on some road that took us (and other people) somewhere - another town or tourist sight. If you broke down and waited long enough, somebody was bound to come by and you could ask for assistance.

These days, where we live, we are riding trails that sometimes go nowhere - maybe a nice lookout, or maybe just the trail itself is scenic or twisty. But then you either have to double-back on the same trail or take another small route to get back to the main road. The roads in rural BC are less-traveled and during the shoulder season, even recreational traffic dwindles down to a trickle. In April and October, there's nobody on the trails and if you break down or get hurt, nobody is going to come across your bike or body until the summer is in full swing.

So, do you really need a Spot locator or emergency beacon? Depends. If you believe you will encounter nobody on your ride, and the trail is technical or gnarly, then I'd recommend it. If you trigger your SOS on a lightly traveled road with just a little bit of traffic, chances are that a local farmer or someone else will probably come across you first, long before Search and Rescue is deployed to your location.

We brought our inReach to Death Valley a few weeks ago. However, we discovered that a US National Park is the last place you need something like that. There's so much recreational traffic, someone will always be by to render assistance.

We opted for the Freedom Plan, which lets you turn on or suspend the service as needed. It's advertised as only $20/month, but what they don't tell you is there's a $50 annual activation fee, so our first month turned out to be around $78 CAD. Pricey.

But now, we can just turn on and off the service for the summer months, or whenever we decide to go off into the bush in the shoulder or off-season. You don't have to pay for the months that you don't use it.

The inReach Mini is kind of a stripped down emergency beacon. The inputs on the device are very rudimentary, and is painful if you want to type out long messages. The tiny LCD screen is incapable of displaying maps or any kind of useful information other than Lat and Long.

What makes the Mini a versatile tool is the ability to connect to an app on your smartphone via Bluetooth. Then you can use the satellite connection to type out and receive full txt messages on your phone via the Iridium network, as well as display your progress and orientation on a map that you've pre-downloaded on your phone.

The inReach Mini is capable of sending out an emergency SOS signal and that is probably the only useful button on the device. It will alert and mobilize local Search and Rescue as well as send out SMS messages to the emergency contacts you've defined on your profile.

We never activated the SOS feature, so don't know how effective it is. But the rest of the feature set on the inReach is well thought-out and the integration with the smartphone app isn't too annoying (as most device-to-app integration are).

Last edited:
While I advocate self sufficient and self supporting, at a a point its pretty handy.
That kid just found on Vancouver island was 35ft off the road in a camper van that slid into a ravine, he was not found for a month despite massive search and rescue efforts because they really didnt know where to look . An emergency beacon fixes that.
They are getting so reasonably priced there is almost no reason not to do it.

We paid about $3500 US for our first beacon locator, last one was $389Cnd. Once patents run out the tech gets cheap fast.

Elon is carpeting the skies....that should bring prices way down.

Lots of places rent Sat phones for individual trips.

Last edited:
Do these things send out pings while you ride also?

My biggest thing would be my wife wanting to see where I am during a ride as I don’t like stopping much.

She would ideally be able to go into a maps app and see ‘ok there he is, looks like he’s coming back’.

You can set an inreach (maybe others but I'm familiar with it) to be tracked , she can map app and see where you are. You can text from the middle of the Amazon jungle, or even Keswick.

Wouldn't buy buttwipe off that guy.

You can set an inreach (maybe others but I'm familiar with it) to be tracked , she can map app and see where you are. You can text from the middle of the Amazon jungle, or even Keswick.
I've heard weird things about Keswick...

I have the Inreach Mini. I like it for that backup plan "just in case" when I'm out of cell coverage. I like the three preset messages that I can send whenever for free (included in plan). So I can always let family know where I'm at and use that function often.

Pairing with my phone was easy. I can use it to send longer messages if I wanted to. It's more to give me piece of mind when out in the more remote areas.

I also use the inreach mini.
What pushed me to decide to get a PLB was thinking about how much I would be willing to pay to be able to request help in the event of a major breakdown or injury while in the middle of no-where.

It was a no-brainer for me - It's not cheap, but even if it was 5x more expensive, I wouldn't regret it if I ever had to use it only once.

Back
Top Bottom