Ganaraska Forest Closed - due to storm damage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganaraska Forest Closed - due to storm damage

xrljoel

Just a heads up.

I know there's a handful of people here who go to the forest. From their home page:

Attention: Ganaraska Forest, Ganaraska Forest Centre and all Conservation Areas are CLOSED!

The weather system that swept through Southern Ontario on Saturday afternoon has resulted in significant damage to trees in the Ganaraska Forest and road closures due to downed hydro lines at the Ganaraska Forest Centre. As a result, the Ganaraska Forest, Ganaraska Forest Centre and all Conservation Areas have been closed while staff evaluate the damage.

I went up to the forest on Monday and there were a lot of trees down across the trails. Some large ones across main access trails. *I didn't know it was closed when I went as I'm local and rode from home.

Scuba Steve

Site Supporter
To bad and the grca is doing everything in it's power to keep the trails closed as long as possible. Wonder if it will reopen to dirt bikes this year.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

xrljoel

To bad and the grca is doing everything in it's power to keep the trails closed as long as possible. Wonder if it will reopen to dirt bikes this year.

I'm going to give them some slack. Historically, the user groups committee had a good, cooperative working relationship with the forest management and I don't see any indication that has changed.

I expect the managers are most concerned with any electricity transmission corridors in the forest and downed trees across the access roads and PERHAPS the east-west connecting trail. The rest of the trail system has been cleared/maintained by users, at least it traditionally has been.

Scuba Steve

Site Supporter
I'm going to give them some slack. Historically, the user groups committee had a good, cooperative working relationship with the forest management and I don't see any indication that has changed.

I expect the managers are most concerned with any electricity transmission corridors in the forest and downed trees across the access roads and PERHAPS the east-west connecting trail. The rest of the trail system has been cleared/maintained by users, at least it traditionally has been.
I know at least one group of volunteers has approached them and been told to pound salt. They will do the clearing and when they get around to it.

Jayv

Site Supporter
I know at least one group of volunteers has approached them and been told to pound salt. They will do the clearing and when they get around to it.

So what happens to folks that have ponied up for memberships this year? I'm lucky that mine expires June 2022.

Dunc

I don't think people know how bad it really is? Volunteers are great and hopefully will be used in some capacity but to open it up to everyone to go in and start cutting and clearing is dangerous and if a few trees get dropped on people or a bad accident the forest could be opened to legal issues.
It is not the whole forest but some areas are very bad. Picture from Boundary parking entrance. This will be a big cleanup.
ganny.jpg

jc100

I met some of the clean up crew recently when I was at Trail Tours. One guy said he wouldn’t be surprised if it took 2 years to clean everything up as it’s that bad.

xrljoel

I read their updates online and it's not really clear what they're cleaning up.

Are they making sure the access roads are open or are they looking at potential hazards throughout the forest? I would think the lumber company would be looking after the blow-down in the woods and damaged trees are just a fact of life in the forest. There are and will always be hazards in the woods that don't become apparent until gravity wins.

From my perspective, it's starting to look like a bureaucratic make-work project, focused on protecting official turf as opposed of actual effective management and maintenance of an asset.

jc100

I read their updates online and it's not really clear what they're cleaning up.

Are they making sure the access roads are open or are they looking at potential hazards throughout the forest? I would think the lumber company would be looking after the blow-down in the woods and damaged trees are just a fact of life in the forest. There are and will always be hazards in the woods that don't become apparent until gravity wins.

From my perspective, it's starting to look like a bureaucratic make-work project, focused on protecting official turf as opposed of actual effective management and maintenance of an asset.
The guy I spoke to said it’s a mix of a few things, bureaucracy is one part to do with the various orgs and surrounding councils. The other is that the damage is so widespread and it’s actually dangerous. There’s a lot of growth knocked down that’s suspended in other canopy and it’s making things slow going. It’s the worst damage he’s ever seen and he’s been there a while.

Edit: we asked why lumber companies weren’t making out like bandits there due to high prices on the market but he said a lot of the fallen lumber is stressed and unusable for structural use.

Trackday

It's official the Ganaraska Forest will be closed until September 30, 2022!!

Top Bottom