FZ07 shut down and stalling | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ07 shut down and stalling

1. This is consistent with electrical power interruption to the ECU or ignition system, potentially loose connection somewhere. It COULD be a dodgy side stand switch. But the first thing I would check is the battery terminals. I tend to doubt battery terminals (not consistent with "dash lights were still on") but it's easy to check and rule out, so why not.

2. This is also consistent with electrical power interruption to the ECU or ignition, so for the moment, consider this to be the same symptom.

Concerns: "104 C". That's somewhat high although still within an acceptable range. If that represents being stuck in traffic with the engine idling, it's normal. If the engine was "stopped" for a minute or two, and the "104 C" display after the bike started moving again only persisted for a few seconds before returning to normal (which I would consider to be seventysomething-eightysomething-ninetysomething) then it is just heat soak from the metal into the coolant inside the engine, which is a non-issue.

It is NOT: Throttle body synchronisation, spark plugs, air filter, "fuel pressure" (other than possibly as a result of a dodgy electrical connection leading to the pump not running at all, possibly intermittently), or other off the wall stuff. If throttle bodies were out of sync, symptom 1 is a rough idle all the time, symptom 2 (if severe) is hard starting and rough running all the time. It's not going to make the engine lose power while rolling along in gear with the revs up. If a spark plug is bad enough to lead to a misfire, it will lead to hard starting and rough running all the time.

Look for dodgy intermittent electrical connections. Start with battery terminals. Proceed to side-stand switch. Beyond that it gets tough.

P.S. If the engine ever cuts out / won't start / ?? with the transmission in neutral, the problem is not the side-stand switch. Being in neutral completely overrules the side-stand switch condition.

@r3r3r3 i stand corrected sir...still, haven't done it, so yeah, maybe i should :D

@Evoex i'll double check, but i'm pretty sure she's full to the brim....

@Trials my bike is an inline twin, therefore, it has 2 cylinders my dear...it does however, have 4 valves per cylinder :D

now...can anyone tell me where I can find the kickstand switch without being a smart *** about it and how i check it once i find it?...I'm guessing it's on the left side (smarty pants me - LOL)...i googled this and couldn't find very much on it...

@r3r3r3 i stand corrected sir...still, haven't done it, so yeah, maybe i should :D

@Trials my bike is an inline twin, therefore, it has 2 cylinders my dear...it does however, have 4 valves per cylinder :D

now...can anyone tell me where I can find the kickstand switch without being a smart *** about it and how i check it once i find it?...I'm guessing it's on the left side (smarty pants me - LOL)...i googled this and couldn't find very much on it...
Looking at the bike will be easier then google. Obviously it needs to have wires and be somewhere that the sidestand can activate the switch. That narrows it down to a 12"x2" area to look at.

@Brian P thank you for that:

yes the 104C was while sitting in traffic heading north on Trafalgar Road through Oakville...bad move on my part...turned around and took Speers Road across to 3rd Line then headed north towards Milton...once I had the bike restarted and heading home, the temp guage was around 84C, so definitely much cooler...you are also correct in that it doesn't run rough or have a hard time starting...and for your PS, the few times it has stalled, it's always been in gear, never in neutral

just waiting for hubs to get home, then we'll go take a look...thanks!

Sorry, I went riding, flies are terrible even when you are moving :/

Perfect, twice as easy, narrow the problem down to one cylinder if you can.

When I said my Montesa missed a beat I meant it misfired once.
It just doesn't do that unless there is a problem :| it's like a timex watch, it works until it don't.
then I remembered something I changed. Low test fuel fill up.

If the bike is physically starved for fuel it can be the fuel filter, the easiest way to trouble-shoot that is to replace it.

Visually trace back the wires.

@Trials apparently these bikes don't have a fuel filter...I asked many a person about it and was given the same answer every time...

@Trials apparently these bikes don't have a fuel filter...I asked many a person about it and was given the same answer every time...
Hard to believe, I can believe they want you to replace it as one part along with the fuel pump. My Montesa is like that the fuel filter and pump as one is over a grand and the rubber gasket 80 bucks. If it had no fuel filter the injectors would be absolutely certain to plug with dirt, the holes are way too small not to.

... you know how injectors work?

Wow I just googled the parts, your fuel pump is cheap.
That could be good or it could be bad :sneaky: cheap to replace is good, possibly intended to wear out some day would be not so good.

In the future if your bike dies like that while underway I suggest letting the clutch back out to try to bump start it. It won’t always work but it doesn’t hurt to try. I’m sure you know coasting isn’t a great feeling and leaves you a bit vulnerable. This is just a way to get started back up quickly while on the move so you can get out of harms way.

Good luck with the fix.

In the future if your bike dies like that while underway I suggest letting the clutch back out to try to bump start it. It won’t always work but it doesn’t hurt to try. I’m sure you know coasting isn’t a great feeling and leaves you a bit vulnerable. This is just a way to get started back up quickly while on the move so you can get out of harms way.

Good luck with the fix.
Practice this in a happy place, not on a busy road when the bike stalls on you. You want it to feel natural (like shifting gears). Keep your focus on the cages trying to kill you.

There has been a lot of big rain lately.. get some fresh fuel from a high volume/ busy station and see if that clears up your issue.

Good luck with the fix.
Especially if it starts, but make sure there is nobody following :|

There has been a lot of big rain lately.. get some fresh fuel from a high volume/ busy station and see if that clears up your issue.
Gas line anti-freeze is alcohol, it combines with water to go through something like a carburetor, but in Fi (Fuel injection) water would collect in the fuel filter this bike supposedly lacks. Or it (water) would just destroy a treated paper filters ability to pass fuel, if it (bike) has a typical treated paper fuel filter.

Last edited:
Colortune, but there aren't many people that own them. ...
@ifiddles you gotta watch this one it's cool

... NOT suggesting this device would work for you, it's just another device for testing an engine and thats what mechanics do, they become familiar with the devices to test engines :geek:

2. This is also consistent with electrical power interruption to the ECU or ignition, so for the moment, consider this to be the same symptom.
There's an electrical connection to the throttle body on my bike that acts up if it gets water in it. She don't ride through streams but she might power wash her bike occasionally?

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet (or I missed it), check for error codes through the diagnostic mode. Besides that, the diag mode should have a bunch of functions to see readings from the various sensors.

Other than that, check the connections at the battery terminals. I assume that the heated grips are wired directly to the battery.

@Brian P thank you for that:

yes the 104C was while sitting in traffic heading north on Trafalgar Road through Oakville...bad move on my part...turned around and took Speers Road across to 3rd Line then headed north towards Milton...once I had the bike restarted and heading home, the temp guage was around 84C, so definitely much cooler...you are also correct in that it doesn't run rough or have a hard time starting...and for your PS, the few times it has stalled, it's always been in gear, never in neutral

just waiting for hubs to get home, then we'll go take a look...thanks!

Yeah that construction on Trafalgar is awful these days. I hear it all day too .
Hope you sort the bike out and it’s an easy fix .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet (or I missed it), check for error codes through the diagnostic mode. Besides that, the diag mode should have a bunch of functions to see readings from the various sensors.

Other than that, check the connections at the battery terminals. I assume that the heated grips are wired directly to the battery.
Kind of assumed it wasn't throwing any.

Back
Top Bottom