Is fuel economy important to your

• Yes, MPG is important

Votes: 57 41.3%
  • No, MPG is NOT important

Votes: 81 58.7%

• Total voters

qaz393

Site Supporter
Do you guys are how much gas you are using when riding your motorcycles?

I dont care really, I ride to have fun , fuel economy is the last thing I think about on my bike.

I dont care really, I ride to have fun , fuel economy is the last thing I think about on my bike.
Pretty much sums it up, my bike is nothing more than a toy.
I don't keep count of how many miles I get per gallon.
I just ride.

I care enough to make it to the next gas station but figure I get ~180km a tank from the bike (~20 litres tank) and the same out of my car ~180km a tank (~80 litre tank). Expensive hobbies but if I worry about the gas I can't afford to continue.

I only pay attention to it (on my bike) because it could be an early warning sign of something amiss if it's a big diversion from the norm...

if i really cared about getting the best bang for my buck in terms of mileage i think i would have gone a different route than a supersport with all emissions control removed and a large amount of performance enhancing mods ...

Track ducati.Don't care.It uses race gas anyway.
Hypermotard.Don't care.But i wish it had a bigger tank.(12l)
Couchrocket.Kinda care.It's a touring bike that needs long range.

It's my daily commuter during the warm season so I pay some attention to it but overall it's not a concern.

I've only started to notice it in the last couple of years that fuel costs becomes an expense that registers - I recall being outraged when the RD400 cost more than $5 to fill.

I'm out on the bike perhaps 250-300 days a year and generally minimum is 150 km. That starts to add up even at 20km per litre which both the Burgman 650 and KLR650 get.
Fill up here in Aus generally is $20+ ( $1.60 per litre in Cdn dollars ). The KLR holds 23 litres but never have yet put more than 15 in. ( love the range ).

My head says that's where my car should be :rolleyes: ( tho with 101 litre tank on the van I'm thankful for credit cards )

Still it's a cheap way to get around compared to a car and the van rarely ever gets used except for business and larger shopping trips.

So yeah it's on the radar but it's not something I choose a bike on. I do like having the real time km per litre read out and find myself trying to up the number.

Honda forsees a lot of commuters giving serious thought to their 77 mpg 700 twin series motors. That's a big number - 50% better than the Burgman and could be a deciding factor for riders like me not looking for performance so much as reliability and cost effective over time. ( pretty impressed with the KLR here given what I've put it through - was just purring this morning - hard to believe on a 650 thumper. )

Bring on the electrics - car or bike.:D

Yes I care. used to get anywhere from 165KM to 230KM per 14 L depending on what bike I was riding that day....when I tour and put 1000kms in a day, it gets expensive. So i've improved by fuel economy to accomodate that. Its also sucky when my bike is the gas hog, and we have to stop for me before the other ppl in the group.

A cpl yrs ago, my wife's minivan cost $10 per 100km of driving, on average. That was when gas was cheaper of course. $60 would fill it, and it'd go 600-650 kms per fill.

Yesterday, with Shell 91, I filled my KTM.
It cost $20, and I had ridden 200 km...so with current fuel costs, my bike costs $10/100 kms if I run good fuel.
That's not to say I always run Shell 91. I try to when I can find a fuel station that has no ethanol, as it contributes to the deformation of the KTM's fuel tank...but on trips, I run whatever fuel I happen to run across.

I only care so I know if she is running correctly. Over 15,000 km last season the 2008 CBR 1000RR averaged 38 MPG (16 km/l), but that is using fairly aggressive throttle. @92 kph, 6th gear, constant throttle its 50 MPG (21 km/l), both using 87 pump gas but I'm not a commuter. Even at the track in upper yellow/lower red averages 23 MPG (10 km/l) using v-power.

I do care, I hate stopping for gas, especially while touring. One of the biggest draws to the GSA over my old GS was the how much larger the tank was. If it was for just around town riding, I would not care really, but when I am out on the road, stopping for gas is just something I want to do very little of. I ride tank to tank.

I care about range. My tank lasts about 450 kms, so I have a good 400 kms before I need to look for a gas station. $25 to pump 20l (22l tank), so $50 covers a day of riding. Not cheap, but show me a cheap hobby that is not boring.

It's important but mostly for the range and convenience, and to keep tabs on whether all is well or if there is something that needs to be looked into. A difference of a liter per 100 km one way or the other isn't going to break the bank.

Having said that, last fill-up on my 2011 cbr125, rode 339.6 km (low fuel indicator wasn't flashing yet) took 9.337 litres = 2.75 L/100 km ...

I care, but no so much that it wouldn't stop me from riding.

I use it to commute to work as much as I can (gotta be >15 deg.C for me), because the gas cost is almost half of what my car costs: ~300km/15L compared to ~600km/55L.

Generally speaking; it's good to monitor your vehicle's mileage, cuz it can be the first indicator of problems with your machine, IMO.

I care...most of the time. I ride a Honda ST1300, considering its size I think I get fantastic mileage. Last year I averaged 5.48L/100km. I try to stay to 120 on the highway, having my current MPG displayed on the dash (I realize it's not 100% accurate) helps me be more aware of my mileage. It helps keep me to a more respectable speed.

Taking it easy does make a huge difference, on a trip south last year I got my best mileage by getting off the superslab and just puttering along for a day (4.6l/100km). I'm not really good at doing that however day to day when commuting to work or just going for a ride around here. With a 7.7 gallon tank, managing over 500km per tank is easy, I usually need a break before the STeed needs a sip.

When I go down to the BRP or dragon or anywhere where there are good twisties, I really don't care that much. But even then, the worst I get is just a hair over 6L/100km. What affects my mileage even more than riding hard is the temp. Dec and Jan I averaged about 6.4L/100km. I imagine if I eliminated all cold weather riding, I'd be averaging around 5 no problem.

Although I wasn't keeping track back then, I don't think I got much better mileage commuting with my GS500 on the highway. But the comfort and range of the ST is night and day to anything else I've ever been on. I started keeping track a couple of years ago with an app on my phone and although I'm anal about tracking this info, I mainly do it just because I like to keep track and know what's going on with the bike.

Back
Top Bottom