Front stand or no stand? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front stand or no stand?

SVrider24

Site Supporter
Just wondering if buying a front stand is even worth it if I'm just going to be buying new rubber in the spring?? I'll be keeping the bike in a garage w/concrete floor. Will probably create a flat spot over the winter but that won't matter.

Anyone see an issue with keeping the bike on the floor, tires not raised up?!

A front stand, one that picks the bike up from the steering stem, is a really great investment. When you buy new tires next year, are you going to take the tires and the bike to a shop and have them remove the wheels to mount the tires or will you take the wheels off yourself and just bring those in? Considerations like those may make the front stand worth the money. Especially if you look at the cheaper red stands. I have a set of those and they do a great job. Been using them for 5 years now.

Other front stand uses: washing the front wheel, upgrading fork springs, changing fork oil, replacing fork seals, bike storage in the winter, etc., etc.

Do you already have a rear stand? Most front stands need to be used with a rear stand.

Stored mine on concrete all winter for 3 years and never had an issue with flat spots.

Yes I have a rear stand. I'll probably invest in one once spring rolls around to just bring the tires in, bikes at 11k anyways though. Doesn't it need to be tuned up or something by the shop around 10-11k ??

Yes I have a rear stand. I'll probably invest in one once spring rolls around to just bring the tires in, bikes at 11k anyways though. Doesn't it need to be tuned up or something by the shop around 10-11k ??

Get a service manual for your bike, or just a plain manual - it will tell you all the service intervals without any guessing.

Like mentioned before, front stem stand is a great investment. I keep my bike on rear+front stands over the winter - I can even move it in the garage on those stands if I need to.

Yes, if you plan to do your own maintenance and remove wheels, definitely get a stand. I managed to remove the front wheel without one on an SV, however it's a pain in the bum as you need to lift the bike onto some sort of a support and then you worry about it falling off. Keep in mind that many front stands will not work directly with your bike. Some come with adapters but even those may not fit. Double check before you buy.

Flat spots, however, don't worry about those. You would need to store the bike for a prolonged period of time, not just one winter. Plus you can always move it a bit.

Centre stands are an amazing thing, btw. So glad to have one on my current bike. In the name of weight reduction and cost saving very few bikes, even the ones that claim to be touring, have one. On the VFR I never use a rear or front stands to remove the wheels, just weigh down the front or rear while it's sitting on a centre stand.

I was too broke last winter to afford both stands so I stored with a rear-stand only. I had no issues with flat spots on the front tire. If you can afford both stands, go for it. I suggest Pit Bull or any other single-peice stand.

You can get both stands, used, off kijiji for around $60. Even the cheap Canadian tire one will do. Bikes are light. Not much of a chance of a stand braking or falling apart. Fitment is the bigger issues, especially for fronts. For rears you can always get a spoolless stand that lifts by swing arms. SVs are spool compatible though.

Dynamic Cycle has them for a great price. I have the front and rear stands that Chris offers and you can't beat them for the price. He is also a site supporter so that should count for something :)

Many people that don't work on their own bikes buy stands just to say they have stands.

Go buy some styrofoam insulation sheets and put a piece under each tire.

I just saved you money.

I think I own about 5 different front stands, and I only use them to work on the bike...I never put my bike on stands over the winter other then to work on them....Sometimes I will to fit more bikes together, but not to save the tires. never have I needed to buy new tires after winter because I didnt have the bike on stands...

I think I own about 5 different front stands, and I only use them to work on the bike...I never put my bike on stands over the winter other then to work on them....Sometimes I will to fit more bikes together, but not to save the tires. never have I needed to buy new tires after winter because I didnt have the bike on stands...
But are they sitting on cold pavement?

But are they sitting on cold pavement?

For the first 5 years or so parked my bikes in my unheated garage at home on concrete floor. Since then I park them in my shop which also has a concrete floor and is also unheated...Its a little warmer now because my landlord changed the paper thin garage door about year ago with one that is insulated...Still crazy cold in there over the winter, and no problems with flat spots in tires...

I work on alot of bikes and the number one problem I see after the winter, is people pulling their bikes out and not realizing their tire pressures dropped down to 15psi over the winter. They come in complaining about the bike not steering properly, some want suspension work or rebuilds when all they need is a little air in their tires....Sometimes its too late because riding around with such low pressure cups the front tires like crazy and ruins it

Love my rear and front stands. Yes, great when working on the bikes and yes thats how I store my bike over the winter.

Back
Top Bottom