Front end swap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front end swap

n00ben7

Hi guys.

Purchased an 82 honda cm450e. Looking to convert front drum brake to disc while retaining the spoked rims. Would the front forks off an 82 suzuki gs450a slide into the honda frame?

Hi guys.

Purchased an 82 honda cm450e. Looking to convert front drum brake to disc while retaining the spoked rims. Would the front forks off an 82 suzuki gs450a slide into the honda frame?
Why start with Suzuki on a Honda? You already have them/know where to get them cheap? I don't know the answer to your question, but normally staying within a brand gives you better odds.

I bet you can make it work
and I bet you run into at least one complication, both those bikes have trash for steering head bearings, do you have any plans to install taper bearings while you are at it, you almost may as well imho. But it's a wild guess because I have never owned either of those bikes, best luck with the modification.

... first step would be to compare all the dimensions assuming you have both in hand.

... if the problem is you don't know the size of donor bike forks Fork tube Diameters list
I make no claim for accuracy, you're on your own to confirm it.

chart suggests 33mm forks for a CM450E, and at least some Suzuki GS450 models of the same era. If that's the case then the forks will slide into the triple clamps. The length needs to be checked, too.

What's wrong with the bike's original drum brake? It's not a high-performance bike.

chart suggests 33mm forks for a CM450E, and at least some Suzuki GS450 models of the same era. If that's the case then the forks will slide into the triple clamps. The length needs to be checked, too.

Width between the forks once mounted may mean custom wheel spacers would be required.
I'd think the cleanest way would be to use the complete donor front end (triple clamps and all) with correct steering head bearings.
Length of the donor steering stem might be too long or short, perhaps requiring a spacer as well.
A long time ago I mounted a complete Honda CB400T Hawk front end on a CB400F (for the Comstar wheels).
It wasn't that tough, just take your time and make certain nothing is too loose or binds.

Keeping it all Honda of the same generation has a fighting chance of being an easy swap. Still looks to me like trying to put lipstick on a pig. Sure, the stock drum brake is rubbish by today's standards, but so were disk brakes of that era.

No pressure, it's only the most critical part of your motorcycles handling if you get it wrong.
I had one single pinch bolt come loose on my trials bike axle last week and it became dangerous real fast.

Mostly for looks. And I can't find anything cheap except for this suzuki. And yes the plan was to slide the complete front end in the frame so I don't have to mess with wheel spacers.

Mostly for looks. And I can't find anything cheap except for this suzuki. And yes the plan was to slide the complete front end in the frame so I don't have to mess with wheel spacers.
Then just measure every thing up, order the correct bearings and you'll be most of the way there.

Then just measure every thing up, order the correct bearings and you'll be most of the way there.

The problem is that I don't have access to the donor bike yet. I'd like to confirm fitment before I head out to meet the guy. It is a running bike and measuring things wouldn't be so simple.

After a google search I found the following:

TOP BEARING SET
BOTTOM BEARING SET
82 CM450E 26 – 48.5 – 1530 – 50 – 14.25
82 GS450A25 – 47 – 1530 – 55 – 17

Looks like a no-go? The GS stem at the bottom is wider than the Honda neck?

Edit: forks seem to interchange though, is there any chart that provides spacing between the forks to see if it would clear with my honda triple tree?

Last edited:
The problem is that I don't have access to the donor bike yet. I'd like to confirm fitment before I head out to meet the guy. It is a running bike and measuring things wouldn't be so simple.

After a google search I found the following:

TOP BEARING SET
BOTTOM BEARING SET
82 CM450E 26 – 48.5 – 1530 – 50 – 14.25
82 GS450A25 – 47 – 1530 – 55 – 17

Looks like a no-go? The GS stem at the bottom is wider than the Honda neck?

Edit: forks seem to interchange though, is there any chart that provides spacing between the forks to see if it would clear with my honda triple tree?
Yes - you would need a 25-48.5-15 top bearing (n/a) and a 30-50-14.25 bottom bearing (part #99-3512-5).
You could make the 25- 48.5-18 top bearing (part # 99-3544) work but it will sit proud by 3mm in the frame neck.
I don't know how much of a difference that would make, if any.
You'd be better to use the Honda triple clamps, the Suzuki forks and be prepared to make axle spacers.
Its still do-able, but how much work do you want ?

The problem is he cheap as chips build on the CM450A/E You screw the top triples onto the forks. Not pinch them. I have owned a few of them.

1596594755174.png

I have a rolling chassie Maurader 250 with a good front end. Into it for $200 if it interests you. Get some pics tomorrow.

1596596046928.png

Seems the lower bearing is also 55mm, wider than my honda neck.

Couldn't I just use my fork tubes in the gs450 sliders?
If you slide them up into clamps and they used to be screwed into the triple, there is a good chance you are lowering the front end and steepening the head tube angle. Expect handling changes.

Back
Top Bottom