Front end swap | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front end swap

If you slide them up into clamps and they used to be screwed into the triple, there is a good chance you are lowering the front end and steepening the head tube angle. Expect handling changes.

I would still be screwing them in. I would be using all my current hardware except for the slider to get access to the caliper mounts. But I get what you mean.

I would still be screwing them in. I would be using all my current hardware except for the slider to get access to the caliper mounts. But I get what you mean.
So you are planning on using Suzuki lower legs/wheel on honda upper legs/triples. Got it. No idea if that will work but it is interesting. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the length of the lowers is the same. Does Suzuki or Honda have better internals?

So you are planning on using Suzuki lower legs/wheel on honda upper legs/triples. Got it. No idea if that will work but it is interesting. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the length of the lowers is the same. Does Suzuki or Honda have better internals?
No idea. The suzuki does have air assisted dampening, but I just prefer the look of front disc brake over drum, it's the whole reason I'm doing this.

No idea. The suzuki does have air assisted dampening, but I just prefer the look of front disc brake over drum, it's the whole reason I'm doing this.
It sounds easier to scab a disc onto the honda hub or spacer. The vast majority of people won't notice the missing caliper. Hell, if it's just for looks, you could scab the caliper on too as there are no forces on it. Just make sure nothing can come loose and lock up your front wheel.

It sounds easier to scab a disc onto the honda hub or spacer. The vast majority of people won't notice the missing caliper. Hell, if it's just for looks, you could scab the caliper on too as there are no forces on it. Just make sure nothing can come loose and lock up your front wheel.
I'd prefer a functional disc brake lol

A lot of work for a cosmetic upgrade. Polish the existing hub and enjoy the bike.

The best answer to your question about interchanging the stanchion tubes and fork legs hoping the internal parts will mate is: no,
but if you feel that lucky you should buy a lottery ticket right now.

"the look of front disc brake over drum" Huge fail here, are you building the bike to look at or to ride? If it's just to look at, why not leave the front brake off completely, just run a hub and call it a flat tracker. The disc brake you are looking at is not much better then the drum you have if at all. :/ The disc will have a slight advantage over the single leading shoe drum brake when they are wet because disc brakes dry a little faster. As disc brakes go the one you are looking at using represents very early technology, which is the fancy way of saying they don't work for ****.

If you insist, just find an appropriate Honda front end and save yourself a lot of grief.

... or just make that drum brake work real good, it is the brake that was designed for that bike and you can bet the cable wore out years ago.
You can also cross hatch the drum pad faces to make them clear water better, chamfer the leading edge of the pads to make braking more progressive and true the face of the pads to the drum and give it far better braking power.

"air assisted dampening" is anti-dive front forks. Nothing to do with dampening and everything to do with spring rate or in this case the addition of air spring pressure control. ... it is also basically a failed design that did not find wide acceptance in the industry because it doesn't work very well, but it does make everything more complex and heavy.

motorcycle-anti-dive-suspension.jpg

... actually on study of the diagram, they are controlling the dive by restricting the oil flow, but either way it sucks, you've added a whole bunch of unsprung weight.

Last edited:
"air assisted dampening" is anti-dive front forks. Nothing to do with dampening and everything to do with spring rate or in this case the addition of air spring pressure control. ... it is also basically a failed design that did not find wide acceptance in the industry because it doesn't work very well, but it does make everything more complex and heavy.
Adding air to the forks just help act as an infinitely compressible spring, nothing more.
A lot of the late model MX forks use air as the only spring, usually in one side only, with mixed results.
Air doesn't add weight, it takes it away (no steel spring) but can't be 'wound' in a progressive manner.
Back to OPs original question - find a disc front end complete off a CB400/450 of similar vintage and just bolt it on.

The air didn't add the weight their mechanism did. The energy to apply it was not as free as they had hoped either, pretty hard to make your brake fluid do more then one thing and not have it feel mushy at the lever.

All of this is going to need the brake master cylinder, lever and switches when you buy the parts.
If you are going to use the anti-dive front end and not remove that feature somehow, you are going to need all the original hydraulics,
you will have no fun keeping that serviced. Guaranteed you can't let your fork or brake fluids get old or dirty or contain water on either end.

... I would highly recommend you find a different donor bike.

Wasn't anti-dive, not back then. It was just a Schrader valve that let you pressurize the inside of the fork. I suppose the thinking was to let the rider compensate for carrying a passenger or whatever other reason for doing that. It also added stiction to the forks and made seals more likely to blow. Wasn't a good idea, which is why it isn't done any more.

Two more complexities to your plan, certification and insurance. When you go to road insure this bike the nice lady is going to ask if you have any modifications to the bike and for a photo. The motorcycle mechanic if he does his job right is highly likely to find problems with certification in Ontario if you modify it much. (and absolutely everything on the bike needs to work good!) Things like leave fenders and chain guards off, assuming this bike is going to be cafe modified to modern fad standard
an experienced builder would do racer modifications after the stock bike was on the road and insured.

OP, have you tried asking on one of the more CM-focused sites? Pardon the pun, but no need to reinvent the wheel if someone's already done it.

Maybe in here?

Back
Top Bottom