From CBR125 to GS500? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

From CBR125 to GS500?

thanx guys for the input. sorry to bump up the old thread since i don't really want to create a new one. i just called TD and they only told me that the insurance premium till feburary next year is gonna be 50 bucks and wouldn't tell me how much it would cost for a full year coverage. i did a quote online with gs 500 and it quoted me 1800/yr. how accurate do you guys think this number is ?
ask them again. i dont see why they wouldnt tell u what your rate would be. 1800 seems on the ballpark. but it all depends on your record, age, bike, etc etc. so different for everyone.

call diff. companies to get rates.

Man the only reason I got rid of my gs500 was because someone crashed into me, writing the bike off. Awesome all-around bike imo.

The GS500 is a vastly underrated bike IMHO. I bought an 89 GS500E in 1992. It was the first year for the model, and for some odd reason it was the only year the bike came with clip-on bars [although not super low -- very comfortable] then went to the higher tube type. I was in my 30s when i bought it after being out of riding for several years > the usual reasons: marriage, house, kids = no time. I bought it with the intention of using it to see if riding was something I REALLY did miss, and if I loved it as much as my memory told me I did, I would move up to something else in a year. Fast forward to spring of 2011 and I still was riding the damn thing!!! It looked good, was comfortable, but most of all did everything I ever asked of it with never a complaint and I never had anything go wrong with it. [affixed with a cheap Supertrapp slip-on it also sounded incredible and unlike anything else on the road!] The only reason I sold it was because I had spent so much time travelling the back highways of eastern ontario, I wanted to venture further especially upper NY and Vermont etc. In hindsight, I wish I still had it as a city bike -- especially when i see the girl i sold it too ripping around town on it.

Sorry for the sentimental reply!! The short version: GS500 will give you NO regrets. Just dont overpay because there seems to be plenty of them out there. Its an overlooked gem of a bike.... there is a GS500 forum -- check it out.
happy riding
PS: if deciding on a used 250 look for few years old Kawi Ex250 like another poster said.

Heck give me a scooter that does max 100 and i'd take it out on the highway while feeling secure. I'd tick off a lot of drivers but I wouldn't have a problem.

Like the other day i was travelling at least 30 km/h faster than the slow pokes parked in the left lane. One decides to pull in front of me. I ended up going around him on his left (in his previous spot) and then back into the middle. No power, no brakes. The 250R, which to answer your other question handles amazingly, and i'm guessing your 125R have the agility to compensate in dire need.

Watch this video to see how power or even brakes couldn't help this guy. He should have maneuvered around the @$$H@T in the white car.

http://www.break.com/index/motorcycle-totalled-by-collision-with-car.html

Power to me is only an issue if you need to go faster (which I don't think you do at 120), or cruise at a decent RPM for long periods.

Personally I believe you shouldn't upgrade bikes (if the reason is only because lack of power as mentioned above). Instead spend the money that you would be giving away to the insurance company to upgrade your skills and confidence with advanced lessons and track time. To me getting a bigger bike will only mask your insecurities, you need to do something to eliminate them. Riding scared is NEVER a good thing.

Please dont take offence Rocket250, but youre suggesting to a fairly new rider that being able to swerve around a car cutting you off is a fairly easy thing to do on a 125/250. For your own sake please take a look at your own riding style because ripping along at "at least 30 kph" faster than those in the lane LEFT of you is plain and simple just ****ing nuts. Before advising to work on their high speed skills, the best way to stay out of trouble is to know how to ride DEFENSIVELY. Be patient Mr Rocket ... try getting them to move over for you if you must, but practice defensive riding in order that you can continue to post on here -- maybe even under the name Rocket1400! ;o)

Been riding a GS500F the past year and find it is a great bike to learn basic riding skills. But for Spirited rides I find you need to keep the revs over 6000K and higher to just keep up with other sport bikes. In today's group ride I borrowed a 2006 Suzuki SV650F to lead the Group. Wow what a difference in cornering and passing. Felt much more stable in corners and quickly whipped around cagers safely. Made for my best ride of the year. Too bad I had to return it. Might be my next bike. With fuel injection and double disks for better stopping , plus low insurance rate, you might want to move up to a SV650F instead.SV650f.jpg

I own a GS500F, get it. It's amazing. However, if you ever try to go up to 170+ you will notice the bike starts shaking like a crazy mofo....or it might just be mine =/ I'm definitely not comfortable going past 165~ on it.

油井緋色;1683686 said:
I own a GS500F, get it. It's amazing. However, if you ever try to go up to 170+ you will notice the bike starts shaking like a crazy mofo....or it might just be mine =/ I'm definitely not comfortable going past 165~ on it.

Check your wheels balance? GS500F should do 180-190 without any shaking...

Check your wheels balance? GS500F should do 180-190 without any shaking...

Really? Guess I will ask the guy's at Rosey Toes next time I go; though when I asked last time they said everything was okay =/

im also mid 20s female rider, and i ride cbr125! and i pay $1200/yr.....very similar to you. the bike can handle 140 on hwy..its ok but not recommended. im thinking of upgrading as well, honestly just not enough power once you get used to it eh...

I had a 2008 GS500F as my first bike. Overall it was a fine beginner bike that was very forgiving to learn on.

The downsides of my 500 were:

1. Weight - this is not a light bike
2. Vibrations - at highway speeds the bike had signficiant vibrations through the pegs
3. Power - great for learning but it could have used a few more ponies

Still I would recommend the bike for a beginner that does not want to start on the 125 or 250. If you have some saddle time and feel confident then there are other bikes I would consider over the GS500.

based on that quote... i would suggest you keep your cbr a bit more. going faster than 120 will rarely put you out of harm's way. just don't take the highways ( the 125 is not a touring bike ).

Actually, the 125 is not a bad touring bike, just so long as your expectations are realistic, I've done multi-day trips on my 125 (including to quebec city) with mainly side roads there and highway back in a day. Expecting to tour happily at 120+ km/h is not going to happen. Doing tours on side roads only is great.

Back
Top Bottom