Frigid Fall Fun - Saturday Oct 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Frigid Fall Fun - Saturday Oct 3

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Saturday looks to be a nice chilly day with the forecast calling for a balmy high of 11-12deg - hopefully the rain holds off.
And if it does, it will be perfect for a brisk fall colours ride to somewhere with lots of beautiful backroads.
No gravel intended - just paved roads. If you have ridden with me before - same sort of thing.
Not suitable for new riders, since there will be some highway and twisty roads.
It will be cold - so bring your heated gear or you might be miserable.
PM or post if up you are in.

Pace: Wet leaves might be out and about, so I'll keep it responsible in the straights, respectful in the smaller towns and a little fun in the corners. No hooligan or stupid stuff.
Fuel: Gas tank range should be minimum 200km with breaks every 2 hours or so.
Lunch: Pack a lunch or grab something from Subway somewhere and head over to a scenic spot to chow down.
Depart: Mississauga @ 8am
Meetups: Open to meet up anywhere along the way once I decide which direction to go in.
Return: I have to be back home to Mississauga by 6pm - if we are running behind, then I'll just remove some roads or just blast back on the highway to make time.

Route: not sure yet, but I expect about 800km (round trip from Mississauga). Will update this post when I know where I'm going.
1601651787403.png

I was hoping the Dorset lookout tower was open, nada. I might head out for a ride a bit later, may try some gravel roads for fall colors and lack of crowds. Anyone know any good lookout points? Last year places like Algonquin were packed with people just taking pictures

^ Eagles Nest near Calabogie
nice short hike of around 3 km round trip
very nice lookout point

would not go on the weekend
insanely crowded

View attachment 45201
Sweet - that looks like something I’d be interested in. Calabogie might be a touch far for this weekend, but another ride for sure.

Reactions: J_F
Nicee!

Would have joined you, but not supposed to be on highways before the 10th.. I'll plan something similar, maybe we'll cross paths somewhere..
Well I could do something that heads towards Muskoka without using any highways, but depending on how far we go, I may have to jump on the highway for a bit to get home by 6 and you could take backroads if needed. Let me know if that sounds good for you.
I’m in west Mississauga.

Well I could do something that heads towards Muskoka without using any highways, but depending on how far we go, I may have to jump on the highway for a bit to get home by 6 and you could take backroads if needed. Let me know if that sounds good for you.
I’m in west Mississauga.

That sounds like a plan, Shane! However, I realised that there's an appointment that I cannot push, which is at 11am tomorrow. So I will not be able to tag along. However, all the best for your ride!
Given favourable weather on Sunday, I will head out. The route that I have charted out, with help from info here is:

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 3.44.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Sounds good. I thought I read elsewhere on here that Elephant Lake Rd is in poor condition, so you might want to look into that further.
Dress warm.

I rode Elephant Lake Rd/Petersen Rd earlier this summer and it was baaaad, frost heaves in the good sections and some will catch you off guard
Also remember a member update mentioning roadwork not that long ago

Would love to join but looks like I need to invest in some heated/cold weather gear first to extend my riding season. Tired of suiting up like the Michelin man...

yup

Peterson/Elephant Lake Road has gone from bad to terrible
large sections of the poor pavement are gone
and replaced with sections of tar and chip

still scenic
but not at all good for spirited riding

Would have considered this ride. Followed you around Muskoka on a ride in 2016. Great route and some roads that were new to me. Can't do this one as we have a family commitment today. Enjoy the day and post some photos of the Fall colours for the rest of us.

I will let the owner of that beautiful bike claim it himself:)

We rode up through Port Perry, up the 507 and Glamorgan over to Haliburton Lake Rd and Harburn Rd and then across the 118 to Essonville Line and South Baptiste Lake Rd, then down through Bancroft and Lower Faraday before slowly making our way home. It was a great day to be out riding.

We did see a decent number of bikes out which is always nice on these cooler days.

Back
Top Bottom