Frame Inspection - Structural Integrity | GTAMotorcycle.com

Frame Inspection - Structural Integrity

gpieon

Site Supporter
Does anyone know of a company/shop in the GTA that can inspect a frame and provide a report.

I bought a frame from the US, that is not damaged in any way (vandalized body work only) and I need an inspection to put it on the street.

Cheers all

So you have a salvage title frame? You can’t register it for use on the street in Ontario if that’s the case.

The RIV website does allow salvage vehicles to be registered in Canada as long as the damage is not flood related and the vehicle undergoes a structural integrity inspection.

Yes, but the Ontario ministry of transportation doesn’t allow salvage motorcycles to be registered for street use again. Can’t get a rebuilt title.

Cars are different you can go from salvage to rebuilt with an inspection.

Sounds like someone just bought a track only bike....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked into this almost a decade ago. No such thing in ON. This was from a structural safety tech that rides and owned the business.

who knows?

not sufficient info presented here
or anyone with the specific authority
to give OP an answer

should just turn this into an oil thread

I know. You can import a salvage frame into Canada, you can't register it in Ontario if it's a motorcycle, there is no way around it. Here are the standard import titles for Motorcycles in Ontario:
  1. Clear/Normal - A vehicle that has never been written off or declared as a total loss. Can be registered in any province.
  2. Salvage - A vehicle that has been written off or declared a total loss. Cannot be registered in Ontario
  3. Rebuilt - A vehicle that was previously titled as “salvage” but has now been repaired and has passed a structural integrity inspection. Cannot be registered in Ontario
  4. Non-repairable or Flood- A vehicle that has sustained structural damage to the extent it cannot be rebuilt and safely put back on the road. Once designated as non-repairable, a vehicle can never be licensed in Canada, and can only be used for parts or scrap. Cannot be registered in Ontario
There are exemptions for motorcycles built before 1980, they are registerable if they are not imported as Floor or Non-repairable status.

If you feel a brand was applied in error you can contact the state/prov that originally issued the brand. Appeal the branding and get written confirmation of the brand adjustment and you can have the RIV and provincial registrars consider registration.

no you don't

OP hasn't indicated if he's even imported the frame yet
anyone with an opinion is blowing just that
smoke out their sphincter

Yes I do. I have a business dealing in wrecked MCs, I do it all the time. If you ever want a blown up car or MC, I charge $200 over cost to broker them from Impact, Copart and Stark.

Does anyone know of a company/shop in the GTA that can inspect a frame and provide a report.

I bought a frame from the US, that is not damaged in any way (vandalized body work only) and I need an inspection to put it on the street.

Cheers all
I get this question all the time from folks looking to pick up cheap Ontario salvage branded Harleys.

If the frame has a clear title and you reassemble the bike in the USA, you need nothing. If the frame has any other brand, it's not registerable in Ontario.

RIV doesn't allow importing frames, even if it has a clean title -- only vehicles that are basically unmodified and have / meet OE specs and standards. When a vehicle has been modified (i.e stripped to the frame), other than general repair or routine maintenance, the vehicle no longer maintains its original factory issued certification. This certification is a requirement to qualify for importation into Canada.

who knows?

not sufficient info presented here
or anyone with the specific authority
to give OP an answer

should just turn this into an oil thread
What do you mean who knows? The law is very clear, you cannot put a frame or a bike on the road that has been branded full stop. This is not anyone's opinion, this is fact in Ontario.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Mandatory vehicle branding program – FAQ

Q7: What happens to motorcycles branded in another jurisdiction when they are registered in Ontario?

All imported motorcycles previously branded "Salvage," "Rebuilt" or an equivalent brand are branded "Irreparable" when registered in Ontario. This means that the vehicle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario roads. The regular green vehicle permit is still issued.

A permit is not issued for vehicles that are "wrecked," which means they have been crushed or dismantled.

There are no exemptions from this requirement.

The RIV website does allow salvage vehicles to be registered in Canada as long as the damage is not flood related and the vehicle undergoes a structural integrity inspection.

Motorcycles have the above restriction which RIV doesn't mention on their site.

... and it is my understanding that NO ONE will ever sign off on a structural integrity test.

Hmm .. I don think this is a real solution.. But what if you repair a damaged but unbranded frame with parts from a branded one ? Like replace all of the material that the VIN is not stamped on ??? :)

What do you mean who knows? The law is very clear, you cannot put a frame or a bike on the road that has been branded full stop. This is not anyone's opinion, this is fact in Ontario.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

who knows? because there isn't enough information here for anyone to know

OP has yet to provide any details that would allow anyone to "know"

Javafan, there’s plenty of information provided to know what the original poster is trying to get done. A structural inspection is done to change the brand on a vehicle from salvage to rebuilt. That’s the only reason someone would be asking for a shop that can do this. He even mentions that RIV allows salvage vehicles to Canada.

If he’s bought the frame already unfortunately he’s asked the question at the wrong time. If he hasn’t then I hope the information posted helps him to avoid purchasing a salvage branded frame.

I’m not sure why you think people are guessing on this.

Hmm .. I don think this is a real solution.. But what if you repair a damaged but unbranded frame with parts from a branded one ? Like replace all of the material that the VIN is not stamped on ??? :)

I wouldn’t ride on an aluminum frame that’s been cut up up and rewelded together. Steel wouldn’t bug me as much.

Back
Top Bottom