Foreign license with 5 years experience | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foreign license with 5 years experience

Is the rates lower when you have a full M license ?
When I got M many moons ago, they told me to expect a 20% drop. When I got the renewal it was up 5% so I called to ask what happened. I got "rates went up for everybody by 20% so that includes your discount". Bastards.

The thing is that am a new comer to Canada, thats why am inquiring about the insurance fees and details
Totally understand, insurance here is terrible expensive and difficult to obtain in some cases, you need to price insurance at the same time you buy a motorcycle here.

... I suspect everybody is going to treat you very close to brand new rider status.

Wow am blown by the rates here. Where I come from it is approx 400 to 500 bucks for the whole year with full coverage.
yep :( that's why we don't own more motorcycles and that's why we don't have nice big successful motorcycle stores with lots of stock and great import motorcycle prices.

Wow am blown by the rates here. Where I come from it is approx 400 to 500 bucks for the whole year with full coverage.
That would be nice.

If you want numbers like that, you need to have been continuously insured for a while, be old and pick the right bike or stick to a dirt bike.

in my experience insurance hasn't cared much about m2 exit courses.

m1 exit or advanced rider training courses only.
As far as I know, you get a discount for one course.
Gearing Up counts, M2X counts. But you can't get a double discount.

while it may not be astronomical seeing as it's an urban cruiser, you`re much better off setting your sights lower. Perhaps a rebel 500 or vulcan 650, etc. Get a few years of claim free insurance under your belt then make the swap.

My bet would still be north of $4000/year. My wife was paying $2000/year or something like that on her Vstar 1100 (for basic liability only) when she first got it and she's middle aged, female (just clarifying LOL), and had 2 years of accident/claim free M2 experience on her 650 when she upgraded.

And the Vstar is cheap to insure versus anything Indian.

That's about what I'm paying now on my 1700 for full coverage.

Age and years of accident/claim/ticket free experience is key. Low experience and no insurance history and/or a bad licence history is kryptonite for motorcycle insurance here however.

Back
Top Bottom