Foreign license with 5 years experience | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foreign license with 5 years experience

Tako

Hi folks,

Am new here and is about to do my M1 knowledge test. I provided my foreign license as well as a certified experience letter from the Govt & road traffic branch mentioning my motorcycle experience on it. As I could understand after passing my Knowledge test I can go directly to pass the M road test. However my question is;

in the meantime I buy a motorcycle to do the M test, does this means I have the M2 license ?

Also if someone could advise on renting a bike to perform the M course for M licensing through a certified training course that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help and advices guys.

I would caution against renting a bike from someone, it could get very complicated if you`re in an accident as it's very likely they do not have commercial insurance on it.

There are a few businesses in the GTA that offer bike rentals but they are not cheap.

you'd only need a 250 like above to complete the exam.

In regards to the license, i do not believe you qualify for M2 until you complete the related riding exam. So you would be M1 until you pass your M. But i could be wrong.

If I were you, I would buy a used 250 to 400 cc bike. That lets you get some practice in Canada, gives you a bike for the test and you can sell it in a few years when insurance on the bike you actually want becomes somewhat reasonable. Insurance doesn't care that you had a bike somewhere else, you are a new rider to them and the rates suck.

Sorry, can't help you on the details of skipping the wait for M. Normally the gov't website is pretty good for that type of thing. If you are planning on taking a course to get your M (which is a great idea), you may want to get in touch with your preferred provider (for most people, the closest one) and see what they know about foreign riders being licensed.

If I were you, I would buy a used 250 to 400 cc bike. That lets you get some practice in Canada, gives you a bike for the test and you can sell it in a few years when insurance on the bike you actually want becomes somewhat reasonable. Insurance doesn't care that you had a bike somewhere else, you are a new rider to them and the rates suck.
Small chance they won't insure him if he's stuck on M1.

I would caution against renting a bike from someone, it could get very complicated if you`re in an accident as it's very likely they do not have commercial insurance on it.

There are a few businesses in the GTA that offer bike rentals but they are not cheap.

you'd only need a 250 like above to complete the exam.

In regards to the license, i do not believe you qualify for M2 until you complete the related riding exam. So you would be M1 until you pass your M. But i could be wrong.

So I just checked with the certified riding institute. I can rent oo borrow a bike with presenting ownership along with insurance and take the M course for M licensing.

Many thanks for the GTA exotic referral, it is highly appreciated

Take the course, you will like it, it might even lower your insurance rates a tiny bit.

He won't like it, or it might not lower his rates a tiny bit?
in my experience insurance hasn't cared much about m2 exit courses.

m1 exit or advanced rider training courses only.

in my experience insurance hasn't cared much about m2 exit courses.

m1 exit or advanced rider training courses only.
I thought they cared about doing "a" course, but didn't increase the discount for multiple courses. I would expect (but could be wrong) that most people doing M2 exit course also did M1 exit course and therefore don't see a discount.

Approximately how much can insurance cost me with an M2 for Indian scout bobber ?
Scary amounts. >1100cc, new rider, my guess is $5000 to 10,000 depending on your age. That's a guess, the only way to get real prices is to call insurance brokers/companies and get quotes for you.

ya I was about to say if you have to ask you can't afford it.
The insurance company can afford to buy a new motorcycle in 2 or 3 years.

I thought they cared about doing "a" course, but didn't increase the discount for multiple courses. I would expect (but could be wrong) that most people doing M2 exit course also did M1 exit course and therefore don't see a discount.
that may be true, it lasts about 3 years IIRC. however, it doesn't reset.

So if you did m1 exit course then waited 5 years and did m2 exit course they wouldn't re-apply the discount.

i suppose it's plausible that if you skipped m1 exit course but did m2 exit they would apply a discount.

Approximately how much can insurance cost me with an M2 for Indian scout bobber ?
while it may not be astronomical seeing as it's an urban cruiser, you`re much better off setting your sights lower. Perhaps a rebel 500 or vulcan 650, etc. Get a few years of claim free insurance under your belt then make the swap.

that may be true, it lasts about 3 years IIRC. however, it doesn't reset.

So if you did m1 exit course then waited 5 years and did m2 exit course they wouldn't re-apply the discount.

i suppose it's plausible that if you skipped m1 exit course but did m2 exit they would apply a discount.
Correct, you are already getting the 'yes, I have been rider trained' discount rate.
You are good until they find some other reason to raise your rates.

Scary amounts. >1100cc, new rider, my guess is $5000 to 10,000 depending on your age. That's a guess, the only way to get real prices is to call insurance brokers/companies and get quotes for you.

Is the rates lower when you have a full M license ?

Is the rates lower when you have a full M license ?
don't bet on it. you need years of experience, claim free history and increases in your age.

Back
Top Bottom