For those without pinlock what do you do for anti-fog ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

For those without pinlock what do you do for anti-fog ?

It's an insert layer inside the visor that prevents fogging.

schuberth_c3_pro_c3_c3_ws2_pinlock_lens_insert_yellow.jpg

I chose yellow to make it easy to see. And it really works. They are replaceable and optically clear but in the case of my C3 not so cheap $50 !!!

Not sure about your specific helmet but there are Bell pinlock visors available

I ordered a generic breath box (along with a new battery) from Royal Distributing, see how that goes.

Another strategy is a balaclava. You may have a hot head, which is creating a lot of heat inside your lid resulting in fogging. Like a frosty mug of beer. You learn a lot about visor fogging from snowmobiling. Choose a thin balaclava, with moisture wicking technology that covers both your nose and neck. Great for this time of year.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Pinlocks work great; my visor used to fog up in cold weather riding but once I installed a pinlock, it wont fog up even when I tried.

Hold a lighter up to a double pain window...u get 2 reflections.....pinlock is the same..the glair from lights is same on a pinlock at nite...add rain and it even worse

Hold a lighter up to a double pain window...u get 2 reflections.....pinlock is the same..the glair from lights is same on a pinlock at nite...add rain and it even worse
Thanks. That is what I expected. I just have never run pinlock so I wasn't sure.

Last edited:
Having said that..they still work like magic to prevent fogging, great for riding in the mountains. Mine is photochromic...love it on the race track or just plain daytime rideing...but no love for them at nite. Got caught in the rain one nite and couldn't see ****..had to ride home with the visor open

hm.. I didn't notice such issues last year and I was riding at night a lot (but was trying to avoid rains). Maybe it depends on the pinlock or I might just didn't pay attention to it. That said, I have a clear visor and a clear pinlock.

One more thing, I also use internal black "drop shield" in sunny days (i.e. it is like 3 surfaces in front of my eyes: visor, pinlock and drop shield). Still, it is pretty comfortable for me. However, it might be different for other people and/or other helmets.

Thin balaclava from most bike shops work ok. I have had the foggy insert, done the shaving cream trick and even duct taped the vents, still find cracking the visor at a stop light the best cure.

I was riding the Dalton Highway in Alaska a couple of years ago. Constant rain meant persistent and annoying fogging. Despite a Pinlock and running the visor cracked, it still fogged. The only option was to ride with the visor wide open; not a good idea in those conditions.

The solution was simple: I removed the chin curtain, no more fogging. Apparently, exhaled breath needs somewhere to go.

Give it a try.

I got an Arai XD-4 and fogging is a PIA. No viable pinlock for it, cause the visor has such a steep curve. I got a pair of 100% googles, problem solved, also warmer and the visor still closes shut with the googles in, kudos to Arai for that thought

I had a pinlock visor for another helmet and took the insert and placed it into another helmet with double sided tape. Fits ok but no fog whatsoever. I ride in 0c temperatures and it's definitely helped.

Back
Top Bottom