For those of you who filter | GTAMotorcycle.com

For those of you who filter

DOHC1

For those of you who filter through traffic (not lane-splitting, I'm referring to moving to the front in between cars during traffic/red lights), how often do you get crap from cagers? I've had it once before and again today..I really don't get it - I'm reducing congestion, which is a win-win situation for everyone involved. I've even had some cops tell me that they'll let it slide if you do it cautiously. Today there was a back up on Dufferin from Steeles to Sheppard, as I made my way through, dude in a civic goes absolutely berserk. Honking, yelling, throwing his arms up in the air.
I find the bottled up anger from gridlock hilarious. How do you guys normally deal with it? I reached into my pocket, pulled out the finger, smiled, waved goodbye, and went on my way. Looking for more creative ideas to convey my message of "Go **** yourself" more clearly.

Also, please no lectures on how it's illegal etc, it's been done in countless places, and I will continue to do it regardless of people's bitching. Traffic in this city has reached full retard. You never go full retard.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of these threads need to be started.....

Anyone know what type of oil I should use or what insurance company is the best?

How many of these threads need to be started.....

Anyone know what type of oil I should use or what insurance company is the best?

1. Snake oil
2. If you have an SS, go with Jevco.

Lol, in all honestly, I hadn't seen any threads on this, sorry for the repost!

There are already tons of threads about it, legality, what to do, etc. etc. etc.

Most people don't care at all. A few don't like it. And very occasionally someone goes apeshit and yells and honks and basically has a temper tantrum like a two year old would. Ignore them and try to move out of a position where they could make contact with you. Your strategy is usually fine but throwing them a middle finger might push them over the edge and ram you. Not really worth the risk. Ignore these adult children and move along.

I do it daily on my commute downtown. Usually get an angry cager maybe twice a month tops these days. Started to get a few nods of approval, cars moving over and people wanting to chat about how they want bikes after seeing me filter through. The positive I have found to noticibly be on the increase. I usually recommend a scooter for lax enforcement of sidewalk parking, better fuel consumption and more agility.

The traffic is so bad downtown now, it seems no one faults you for it, as long as you don't add to their commute time. If you get to the front dont linger, just get out of their site so they realize they were holding you up and your momentary pass had no net effect on them.

My cat says people actually make space for him. Once a guy in a pickup with KTM and FOX stickers even folded his mirror in so my cat could pass.

Just be careful is all I can say. I posted this elsewhere but some @$$wipe apparently didn't like me doing it either and pulled his car out to block/scare me. Some people are just born ******.

Just saw this yesterday. The cars are stopped at the intersection. Bicycle is 'filtering' slowly on the side between the curb and the cars. One lady opens the passenger door to exit the car, bicyclist goes flying. Good luck with your filtering in Toronto, I want to see what will be left in that filter after some time. 'filtering' and 'splitting' are reasonable in the countries, where people have a real culture of driving, where drivers, riders and cyclists have respect for each other. Toronto is one of the worst cities to drive in what we call '1st world' 'civilized' world. This filtering, be it legal or not, will get you killed or injured in here.

I read an independant study somewhere; it was done in California where citizens were asked if they knew that filtering was legal and allowed there. The majority did NOT know.

Then they asked the ones that didn't know if they ever tried to "block" the Motorcycles and some admitted it. They basically admitted to trying to hurt a person cause they were filtering. :rolleyes:

I have had few Motorcycles fly by me while I'm stuck in traffic and I find I'm more angry at their reckless speed then their actual filtering.

I think motorists are angry at the fact that you are essentially "cutting" or "budding". The fact that we should be allowed thru doesn't really cross their mind. Some of them even call the Police. It's that big of a deal to them.

I would recommend against replying to their anger with rude gestures. It doesn't help anything....it just re-enforces their false image of us.

Just keep your hands on the grips and be prepared to react when the crazy cager decides to open a door or change lanes infront of you.
...and keep it slow.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that India and China have "civilicized" driving and drivers respect each other?

Are you telling me that India and China have "civilicized" driving and drivers respect each other?

When I was in China the driving style was crazy.

Peggy, I am not telling you anything. Oh wait, here is what I'll tell you - read my message again, sometimes it helps to read something twice and digest it before posting a reply.

Haven't had anyone in a car yell at me yet for that but did get a thumbs up :)

I read an independant study somewhere; it was done in California where citizens were asked if they knew that filtering was legal and allowed there. The majority did NOT know.

Then they asked the ones that didn't know if they ever tried to "block" the Motorcycles and some admitted it. They basically admitted to trying to hurt a person cause they were filtering. :rolleyes:

I have had few Motorcycles fly by me while I'm stuck in traffic and I find I'm more angry at their reckless speed then their actual filtering.

I think motorists are angry at the fact that you are essentially "cutting" or "budding". The fact that we should be allowed thru doesn't really cross their mind. Some of them even call the Police. It's that big of a deal to them.

I would recommend against replying to their anger with rude gestures. It doesn't help anything....it just re-enforces their false image of us.

Just keep your hands on the grips and be prepared to react when the crazy cager decides to open a door or change lanes infront of you.
...and keep it slow.

The ONE other time that I had an angry cager, it was a soccer mom who did exactly that - swerve and block me in. When I filter, I go VERY slow, almost at walking pace. If I was going anything faster than 15 km/hr, I would have hit her. Thankfully, I spotted her, had enough time to stop before her rear bumper and simply go around the other side of the van. Had a quick convo with the lady as well as I pulled up to her driver's side window.

-Why does this bother you?

WHAT?
Why does me passing you bother you?
YOU HAVE TO WAIT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE
-Doesn't less vehicles on the road mean less traffic, and therefore everyone gets out quicker?
*starts squinting and going "Ah...umm...." IT DOESN'T MATTER
-Think about that carefully while you sit in traffic, because I can do this and you cant :)
Ride away

Honestly though, you guys are right. I'm just gonna avoid confrontation with these losers now in the future and ride on. Tinted visor FTW just gotta ignore em as I laugh my *** off behind it.

Last edited:
The trick is not to counter road rage with road rage. Dont fly by at ding dong or kamikaze speeds, and be sure to make it to the front or youre in for a world of trouble.

The ONE other time that I had an angry cager, it was a soccer mom who did exactly that - swerve and block me in. When I filter, I go VERY slow, almost at walking pace. If I was going anything faster than 15 km/hr, I would have hit her. Thankfully, I spotted her, had enough time to stop before her rear bumper and simply go around the other side of the van. Had a quick convo with the lady as well as I pulled up to her driver's side window.

-Why does this bother you?

WHAT?
Why does me passing you bother you?
YOU HAVE TO WAIT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE
-Doesn't less vehicles on the road mean less traffic, and therefore everyone gets out quicker?
*starts squinting and going "Ah...umm...." IT DOESN'T MATTER
-Think about that carefully while you sit in traffic, because I can do this and you cant :)
Ride away

You're doing something of questionable legality that cagers find annoying during a time of day where fuses are short and you come running to this forum?

i just carry on with a grin, no need to gesture back.

You're doing something of questionable legality that cagers find annoying during a time of day where fuses are short and you come running to this forum?
I see nothing wrong with what he did. He stood up for what is right, maybe not legal, but right. Also, she MAY have learned something that day which could result in another biker filtering past her not meet her bumper.

Brilliant spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein

Back
Top Bottom