Following the manufacturer recommended break in technique will NOT save your engine | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Following the manufacturer recommended break in technique will NOT save your engine

Something struck me as fishy as soon as you said it was repairable but you were getting another engine anyway.

Generally I would assume that Suzuki wouldn't pay for a brand new engine if the old one was repairable. Then it turned out you weren't given a new engine. Sounds a lot like you lost a new (repairable) engine for a used one with a bad valve cover. I would've just brought it to the next authorised Suzuki dealer. Especially after raring they were closing soon. Why agree to let this happen?

To add insult to injury these guys scratch up your bike and keep you in and out of the shop. Sounds like a real pain in the ass experience. Guessing this is your first bike?

It costs you $13,000 a year to ride???

It costs me $300 a month to ride, and the bike was unusable due to bad service and bad weather for 6 weeks. Where did you get the $13k figure?

Please...no more "What's the correct way to break in an engine" discussions.

As others have said, an oil leak is most likely a manufacturer defect and has nothing to do with how you did or didn't break in the engine. Be thankful that they are replacing the engine. As far as how to break in the new one, that decision is yours... go with what makes you feel best.

The original engine had a pinhole in the crank case due to bad casting. The oil was seeping through the aluminium. Was it repairable? Yes, but Zeno from Z1 said it would have been a much more complicated job than just a swap. So in that respect I am glad I got a new engine.

If the dealer scratched your frame and fairings in the process of changing the engine or valve cover and it's in a location visible from outside, I'd raise a stink about it. Did you make sure to document the scratch before you left the dealer so that they don't try to pin it on you? The fairings are no problem to replace, but the frame is a big problem.

Have a CALM discussion with the service manager about how they propose to make this right, and how they propose to make good for the time out of service.

The scratches were not there before the swap. They were made by socket wrenches inside the holes of the frame where the engine bolts are located. Nobody else touched the bike except their mechanic, so it's very obvious who did it. Those scratches would NEVER occur in regular riding. Same goes for the fairings. The most serious one is under the exhaust, and is only visible if you look from the right angle since otherwise it's fully covered.

Something struck me as fishy as soon as you said it was repairable but you were getting another engine anyway.

Generally I would assume that Suzuki wouldn't pay for a brand new engine if the old one was repairable. Then it turned out you weren't given a new engine. Sounds a lot like you lost a new (repairable) engine for a used one with a bad valve cover. I would've just brought it to the next authorised Suzuki dealer. Especially after raring they were closing soon. Why agree to let this happen?

To add insult to injury these guys scratch up your bike and keep you in and out of the shop. Sounds like a real pain in the *** experience. Guessing this is your first bike?

The original engine was repairable, but as I said it before swapping a new one was easier. And the new engine is new, but it was either dropped in transit, or it came from a bike that was damaged during shipping. This isn't my fourth bike, but it's definitely the first new bike that gave me so many problems. So I agree with the "real pain in the *** experience" assessment. :p

Back
Top Bottom