flickering power | GTAMotorcycle.com

flickering power

bengali548

hey guys

my 08 ninja 250's headlights are starting to dim and brighten randomly when i turn on the bike. after about 5 minutes itll even out to one brightness.

also the needle on my rev gaugewill jump even when the bike is on standby (engine off)

this leads me to assume its more than a bulb replacement. any ideas?

also the needle on my rev gaugewill jump even when the bike is on standby (engine off)

Bikes don't have a standby mode, are you confusing your bike with WINXP?

4341_hibernate1_1.jpg

charging system issue....rectifier i suspect

Bad battery or loose wire is my guess
My wires have come loose before but I would assume this is bigger than that seeing as how my bike still turns on and its a random occurenceAlso how do I check my rectifier and charging system ( this sounds like a joke because I've never heard of those things unless you're referring to the alternator which is the closest thing to a charging system I can think of

+1

The erractic behaviour when the bike is not moving makes me think its the charging system. If you were riding and it was happening I would think it was a loose battery terminal.

+1The erractic behaviour when the bike is not moving makes me think its the charging system. If you were riding and it was happening I would think it was a loose battery terminal.
It happened once while riding and once at standby (engine off lights on kickstand down)( btw I'm referring to my needles going crazy when I said "it")

when my battery was completely drained i jump started the bike but the battery didn't have enough power to keep the gauges running even while riding so the needles and power deliver where all over the place. I thought the bike was possessed. Once I charged it up properly it was fine. If the battery wasn't holding the charge even after the battery being fully charged ,then there would be issue with the charging system.

If you where riding the bike and then the vibrations and bumps in the road caused the bike to do funky stuff, then it would most likely be a loose battery connection. But that is really easy to check so tighten them up. If they are tight then break out the voltimeter because its time to check the charging system.

My wires have come loose before but I would assume this is bigger than that seeing as how my bike still turns on and its a random occurenceAlso how do I check my rectifier and charging system ( this sounds like a joke because I've never heard of those things unless you're referring to the alternator which is the closest thing to a charging system I can think of

They are giving you legitimate advice. The alternator creates unregulated alternating current, the regulator/rectifier keeps the voltage to ~13.5 volts and converts it to DC current which is used to charge the battery and run your bike. If it is failing, it could send higher voltage through (bad for everything) or low voltage through (battery runs down until the bike dies).

Good luck.

OK I'll bite.
Why on God's green earth would you think it is the rectifier? Do you know what a rectifier does? or how it does it?

It is probably not the rectifier, might be the regulator. More than likely a loose connection.
Instructions on how to test the components of the charging system can be found in your manual.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom