Flat repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flat repair

Lmao..."Jesus only had 12"

But I have to agree with him.
Back in 2018 I picked up the Mushroom kit and tried it out on my dads spare tire (donut) that had a small puncture from a screwdriver bit.

It lost around 10 psi within 2 days simply sitting in the garage after being plugged with the mushroom.
I figure at best it would allow for sufficient time to get you to your destination once you fill up with air and get going...TPMS would be nice in this instance..

Mushroom.jpg

I picked up a small piece of spring steel wire in the rear tire. I plugged the tire and rode all day with no issue. Checked a few times and psi was acceptable. 2 days later tire deflated by about 15psi. Ordered new tire. Shame because tire has more than 1/2 it's life left.
Too bad a no-mar tire changer cost so much...

Worth every penny...
It's one of those things that ties up your money but you get it back later. The real cost is in lost opportunity cost as that money wasn't invested but it probably costs close to nothing to actually own it. Good camera glass is the same. Cheap stuff is actually much more expensive to own as it depreciates to almost nothing.

If you have even just ONE motorcycle enthusiast friend/buddy/pal you can half the cost of the more spendy tools you'd like to own.

Plenty of experience with string plugs unfortunately. One time, woke up to a flat on the last day of a trip in Pennsylvania. String plugged and bicycle pumped, made it home that day, 450km later no tire pressure loss at all. Kept the tire till it was bald too with no problems.
Just make sure you replace the unused string plugs every couple years as they do degrade over time.

Plenty of experience with string plugs unfortunately. One time, woke up to a flat on the last day of a trip in Pennsylvania. String plugged and bicycle pumped, made it home that day, 450km later no tire pressure loss at all. Kept the tire till it was bald too with no problems.
Just make sure you replace the unused string plugs every couple years as they do degrade over time.
For holes that want to continue with a slow leak (I have one on a car tire near the sidewall), heat the string with a lighter prior to inserting and I have found it solves that issue. It also allows a double string without superhuman effort to insert. Push it in, retract the tool, pull it up a bit so some goo gets smooshed against the inside of the tire, cut off of excess and inflate. I was having to inflate the car tire weekly and replace the plug once a year until I did that. More than a year without air required now.

Lmao..."Jesus only had 12"

But I have to agree with him.
Back in 2018 I picked up the Mushroom kit and tried it out on my dads spare tire (donut) that had a small puncture from a screwdriver bit.

It lost around 10 psi within 2 days simply sitting in the garage after being plugged with the mushroom.
I figure at best it would allow for sufficient time to get you to your destination once you fill up with air and get going...TPMS would be nice in this instance..

View attachment 47044
When I bought my 2015 BMW GSA I got a nail in my tire in the first 500kms. I used that to patch the tire and went the rest of the lifespan of that tire with that plug holding. I may have been lucky I am not sure, I have not had to use it since and hope to never need to again. Always on me since then.

Have plugged tubeless and patched tubes quite a few times. The most painful are sidewall punctures or valve stem leaks. And that's why in my rides to Ladakh, I always carried an upsized tube for the rear tire just in case I am unable to plug it.

Had 5 rope plugs in a cut in a sidewall of a trials tire a few years ago. Amazing little buggers. My Tacoma has 3 rope plugs in it.

Back
Top Bottom