First service | GTAMotorcycle.com

First service

ninja3

Hey everyone, wondering what your thoughts are for the first service as do you take it into the dealer or do you do it yourself? I've taken other bikes in for the first service and they never seem to do anything but change the oil I've never even seen them look over the bike. I've looked through the owners manual and I looked at what's done in the first service and it fairly basic and easy to do your self. I've also heard that not taking it in for the first service may void your warranty is they true? so just wondering what others do.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, wondering what your thoughts are for the first service as do you take it into the dealer or do you do it yourself? I've taken other bikes in for the first service and they never seem to do anything but change the oil I've never even seen them look over the bike. I've looked through the owners manual and I looked at what's done in the first service and it fairly basic and easy to do your self. I've also heard that not taking it in for the first service may void your warranty so just wondering what others do.
warranty, thats it. Also they'll be able to do any recalls if necessary

You could do it yourself BUT if a problem crops up later you have no hard proof that the service was performed.
You do not have to take it back to the dealer, any reputable licenced mechanic/shop can do it and provide you with the necessary paper trail. Cheap insurance.

You could do it yourself BUT if a problem crops up later you have no hard proof that the service was performed.
You do not have to take it back to the dealer, any reputable licenced mechanic/shop can do it and provide you with the necessary paper trail. Cheap insurance.

I find places are all around $200 all very similar to the dealer so not rlly much of a difference in cost.

Hi, I would take the first service at the dealer for reasons mentioned above concerning warranty and then do the rest yourself or a trusted mechanic. Oil changes are easy and not expensive to do yourself and if you live in a condo, then use a friends' garage. Now Get out and enjoy your bike!

BMW, in addition to oil change, requires adjustment and tightening of basically everything.

Ninja- do it yourself if you are able. $30 for o&f - and a few minutes to follow the manual instructions.
Spend the rest on gear or a weekend trip.

BMW, in addition to oil change, requires adjustment and tightening of basically everything.
It's a zx-6r I've had a few Japanese bikes and I've taken them all in for the first service and I've never seen anyone tighten anything except the oil drain bolt. And so now I'm questioning it is it rlly worth it?
Ninja- do it yourself if you are able. $30 for o&f - and a few minutes to follow the manual instructions.
Spend the rest on gear or a weekend trip.
Yeah I do all the maintenance on my other bikes myself just never the first service. The bikes a week old and I'll have the 1000 km this weekend and so I'm debating what I should do. I also called them this evening and they r booking appointments for middle to end of next month so that might just be the deciding factor. I like the way you think I have been looking at a new jacket and helmet.

You don't have to go to the dealer to maintain your warranty but you do need service records showing it was done, and done properly. The advice of do it yourself is well meant but I've seen it when people do their own, don't have proper records then warranty is denied when something goes wrong.

Hey everyone, wondering what your thoughts are for the first service as do you take it into the dealer or do you do it yourself? I've taken other bikes in for the first service and they never seem to do anything but change the oil I've never even seen them look over the bike. I've looked through the owners manual and I looked at what's done in the first service and it fairly basic and easy to do your self. I've also heard that not taking it in for the first service may void your warranty is they true? so just wondering what others do.

I took mine in to do the first service, just as a warranty concern. The stealership charged me $100 for 4L of syn oil. The bike only takes 1.9L! I didn't argue. The bike is near 3000km and nobody but me will ever touch it again. Fk their warranty, once a bike reaches a 3000km the chances of needing the warranty are tiny.

Some things never change, and stealerships are one of them.

I took mine in to do the first service, just as a warranty concern. The stealership charged me $100 for 4L of syn oil. The bike only takes 1.9L! I didn't argue. The bike is near 3000km and nobody but me will ever touch it again. Fk their warranty, once a bike reaches a 3000km the chances of needing the warranty are tiny.

Some things never change, and stealerships are one of them.
I don't know of any machine that only holds 1.9L except small displacement singles (CBR125s, etc.) - are you absolutely sure ?
For instance, if its H-D big twin or Sportster, it has motor, transmission and primary chain case oil (all separate) and that adds up to a lot of fluids.
$100 for 4L of full synthetic oil and a filter is not out of the realm of possibility, let alone all the rest.
Please recheck your records before using the term 'stealership'.

plus throttle body sync and reset of the ECU for the next service interval.
if you plan on doing a bee-em service yourself, factor in the cost of torx and torque wrenches .

I don't know of any machine that only holds 1.9L except small displacement singles (CBR125s, etc.) - are you absolutely sure ?
For instance, if its H-D big twin or Sportster, it has motor, transmission and primary chain case oil (all separate) and that adds up to a lot of fluids.
$100 for 4L of full synthetic oil and a filter is not out of the realm of possibility, let alone all the rest.
Please recheck your records before using the term 'stealership'.

Oh uhh, pardon me. It's actually 1.6L, and the bike is a KTM 390 Adventure. That means they (the stealership) charged me $100 for four (4)L and gave me 1.6L. Mathematicians here will conclude rightly that they stole 2.4L from me or about $65 worth of oil.

Now, I could pretend this was all a mistake, that the mech or the service salesman missed something. But I'd be pretending. They aren't sponsors on this site so rest easy. They are a big dealership. I have the work order with the masthead of the dealership and all the details. Of course, I could have asked them why they charged me for 4L and only gave me 1.6, but I know they would say my bike uses an "extra special oil we don't use in other bikes therefore we had to charge you for the whole 4L bottle". But they never offered me the more than half full bottle left over. Crooks.

Don't let this spoil your belief in Santa Claus. If you like going to dealerships for maintenance just go right ahead.

Oh uhh, pardon me. It's actually 1.6L, and the bike is a KTM 390 Adventure. That means they (the stealership) charged me $100 for four (4)L and gave me 1.6L. Mathematicians here will conclude rightly that they stole 2.4L from me or about $65 worth of oil.

Now, I could pretend this was all a mistake, that the mech or the service salesman missed something. But I'd be pretending. They aren't sponsors on this site so rest easy. They are a big dealership. I have the work order with the masthead of the dealership and all the details. Of course, I could have asked them why they charged me for 4L and only gave me 1.6, but I know they would say my bike uses an "extra special oil we don't use in other bikes therefore we had to charge you for the whole 4L bottle". But they never offered me the more than half full bottle left over. Crooks.

Don't let this spoil your belief in Santa Claus. If you like going to dealerships for maintenance just go right ahead.
Then go back and demand they make it right - you're entitled. You're the one who said 1.9L, not me.
I rest fine, its no skin off me, you're the one who got hosed whether by accident or on purpose.
If you don't want to, then don't go back there - simple as that.
That's the joy of the free enterprise system...

Then go back and demand they make it right - you're entitled. You're the one who said 1.9L, not me.
I rest fine, its no skin off me, you're the one who got hosed whether by accident or on purpose.
If you don't want to, then don't go back there - simple as that.
That's the joy of the free enterprise system...

I think that was the point of my original post. I'm not going back.

So I guess its easier to b*tch about what happened on a forum than return to the shop for what you're rightly entitled to ?
Whether intentional or accidental they owe you money, demand they make it right.
THEN don't go back...

If you did go back, all they would say is they flushed the engine with 2l before changing your filter and oil. It’s not their first rodeo, theywould have dealt with this before, they would have the answer down pat.

So I guess its easier to b*tch about what happened on a forum than return to the shop for what you're rightly entitled to ?
Whether intentional or accidental they owe you money, demand they make it right.
THEN don't go back...

Yes, that's right. I'm not going to take the time out of my day to go all the way down and argue with crooks who don't care anyway. So I'll b!tch about it on a forum. Not only will I do that, but I'll encourage everyone to do their own oil changes and not get fleeced by the warranty service scam like $320 to pretend to "check" everything and do an oil change.

What's the point of b!tching? Simple. To notify others that if you get warranty service look at the amount of oil they're charging you for before leaving the shop (I didn't until I got home and filed the invoice). Point out the "mistake". If they refuse, don't argue, call the police on the spot and let them have a talk with them.

Last edited:
When buying the bike have the dealer work the price of the first service in.
Something like you keep the T shirt but give me a deal on the work
Hopefully the dealer is local tho

Buddy, it's a sucker's deal, just like buying a car and having to do the oil change at their overpriced dealerships. I remember a cousin of mine buying a new motorcycle in the old country. The salesman told him that for an extra $300 he would be protected with engine & tranny for 3 years. My cousin was going to go for the "deal" and I stopped him. I told him, give me the $300 and I will guarantee you that your engine and oil won't fail for the next 3 years. But you gotta do what I tell you. Every 2,000 km you will have to go change your oil and filter and you can't rev up past 5,000 RPM. My cousin jokingly said "Yeah sure, and that's it?". I told him, buddy that's what the salesman is going to tell you, and you have to PAY overprice for the oil changes at their dealership and keep a tight schedule or else the engine/tranny guarantee is void.

Any goddamn machine will last 3 years no problem if you maintain it properly and don't over exert it, you are just giving $300 for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom