First post. Thinking of 250cc bike.. any thoughts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First post. Thinking of 250cc bike.. any thoughts?

Yes, give us some info on what kind of bike you're looking at style wise. Cruiser segment vs naked vs sport will yield you wildly different suggestions.

The 250 cruiser segment is out there for sure, but the insurance difference between that and the ~600cc range is typically negligible, and the bike will be significantly more capable. I started my wife on a 250 because it was ultra light and easier for her, but for a guy in your size range the difference in size and weight between the 250 to the 650 Vstar will be indifferent. She rode a 650 for about 3 years before moving up to the 1100, and the 650 did many long highway trips while having no issues keeping up with the bigger bikes, mine included.

If you do opt for a 250 class the Vstar is the best option if you want the classic V-Twin look as it is actually a V-Twin. Many other 250 class cruisers are not.

Cheap small and used. you're likely going to drop it anyway. The less plastic the better.
And like somebody already said get a bike where your feet are positioned under you instead of in front.

This does not exist in that size class. Small engines make power with revs - period.

A 250cc-300cc motorcycle is going to be spinning somewhere near 7000 rpm per 100 km/h in top gear, because that's what it takes for an engine in that displacement range to make enough power to get the bike and you (parachute) down the road.

Having said that, there are some variations, but they are relatively slight. The engine in a Yamaha R3 seems to have a broader torque curve than that of a Ninja 300 (which has an older engine design), for example - but not by much. It's still geared as per above (it has to be). If you need acceleration at highway speed, you are downshifting to rev it higher. That's just the way it is.
It does sort of exist. I had a Vstar and Ninja 250 at the same time, the Vstar Way geared lower and tuned to be torquey for a small bike. Super easy for beginners, hard to stall the low gears.

trade off was highway performance. The Vstar was 125kmh in a crouch with a breeze at my back. The Ninja could do the ton in good conditions.

Yes, give us some info on what kind of bike you're looking at style wise. Cruiser segment vs naked vs sport will yield you wildly different suggestions.

The 250 cruiser segment is out there for sure, but the insurance difference between that and the ~600cc range is typically negligible, and the bike will be significantly more capable. I started my wife on a 250 because it was ultra light and easier for her, but for a guy in your size range the difference in size and weight between the 250 to the 650 Vstar will be indifferent. She rode a 650 for about 3 years before moving up to the 1100, and the 650 did many long highway trips while having no issues keeping up with the bigger bikes, mine included.

If you do opt for a 250 class the Vstar is the best option if you want the classic V-Twin look as it is actually a V-Twin. Many other 250 class cruisers are not.
That’s true. My wife started on a 650 Savage, it insurance was the same price as a 250 Vstar. The yammie 650 is a bit more, but perfect for a starter. Both are cheap to buy, good low km bikes go for $3k or less

Back
Top Bottom