First night & highway ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

First night & highway ride

Upgraded my m1 to m2 yesterday, and took my first night ride -- with a quick hop onto the highway...

Riding at night is a whole other animal -- the standard headlight on my 2007 GS500F didn't illuminate enough of the road ahead to get set up for corners, at the speed I have so far been hitting them at. I was 'forced' to keep my high beams on which thankfully didn't generate any angst from ongoing traffic, as even they seem aimed a little low/not powerful. Even so -- still found I had to ride slower than at daytime.

I also found people tailgated more closely at night, which I found strange...

For my first run on the highway everything went smooth, but a little intimidating -- even staying between 100 and 110kmh in the slow lane. Doing shoulder checks for example almost broke my neck as my HJC helmet doesn't seem very aerodynamic when looking sideways...yeow. My earplugs were a must to keep my angst down further.

I remember the first time I road at night. I was at a friends place and lost track of time, problem was I only brought my tinted visor...was an interesting ride home lol

Just remember to not out ride your headlights and you'll be fine.

As per the MTO:
"When you use highbeam headlights, remember to switch to lowbeams within 150 metres of an oncoming vehicle. Use your lowbeams when you are less than 60 metres behind another vehicle unless you are passing it. These rules apply to all roads, including divided ones."

Although I wouldn't know how you'd gauge the angst level of oncoming drivers, it'd be common courtesy to not blind them. If I was an oncoming driver, I know I wouldn't be thrilled being blinded by a high beam and thus risking my safety.

As for the wind friction, I find tucking my head slightly and then turning it works better.

I remember the first time I road at night. I was at a friends place and lost track of time, problem was I only brought my tinted visor...was an interesting ride home lol

Has anyone been actually pulled over for a tinted visor at night? I never change my visor anymore. Tinted all the time.

Was just a bit freaked out as it was within the first week of when I started riding.

ya visibility actually isn't too bad, I often ride with tinted at night now. But I also mostly ride downtown/main streets so the roads are always lit up really well.

Hey NWhiteside. Thanks for posting...I get my M2 next month and and looking forward to trying night run. HOWEVER, I will neither confirm nor deny that I have run in night within my 1st week of riding. :)Some good advice in responses, thank you everyone.

Back
Top Bottom