First Motorcycle trip - Toronto -> BRP-> Cherohala -> Deal Gap | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Motorcycle trip - Toronto -> BRP-> Cherohala -> Deal Gap

Looks like I will be doing this trip in July 7 to 12
my plan was 2 days down one day there and 3 days home
for the most part i'm taking Shane's route
219 down to Rich Creek then make my way over to Maggie Vally
BRP to Skyline till im sick of it then 219 to home

Going down....hope to make it to Elkins and spend the night there
Next day get to Maggie Vally and spend 2 nights
Heading Home....BRP hoping to make it to Roanoke and spend the night
then Roanoke to somewhere around Edensburg
then next day home.

Its been decided. Camping it is!...
1 more day!

Anybody know any good tire shop there just in case. Around roanoke / Gap area?

How's your weather looking? I'm going down a completely different way than you - Sarnia - Detroit - Cincinnati - Louisville - and the
forecast has changed from crap to sunshine (yay!)

Of course my friend pointed out that Louisville had a tornado on Tuesday night - thanks buddy.

This looks like a fun trip. Wish I could go, but noticed too late. Have fun.

Thanks gcrouse. I might pick up a set of tires while I am there.

As for weather, it looks like a high pressure system is moving into the area so there should be plenty of sunshine. Well with mountains you never know, there might be pockets of rain but I am expecting it to be clear for the most part.
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg

1 more day!

Looking forward to your trip report - but be warned, this is a trip that will get you hooked on touring and it is addictive!

When you get back you're going to be so bummed out when you ride our roads again...The only time you can get any speed in a turn with any kind of lean will be the on/off ramps!

Back home after a 20 hour straight ride from Waynesville (~1500 km)...Going to pass out now. Ride report coming soon.

Glad to hear you are back...safe, sound and happily tired! :*)
Looking forward to hearing about the trip.

While we're waiting for his ride report, I thought I would post a few pics from last week, and then Inferno can tell you where I am :)

IMG_0049-1.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Back home after a 20 hour straight ride from Waynesville (~1500 km)...Going to pass out now. Ride report coming soon.

glad you made it back in one piece. looking forward to reading your ride report.

I stand corrected. My guestimate was off. I remember our group leaving Front Royal and spending a whole morning at speed on the Skyline, and only making less than a couple hundred kilometres by lunch. Our group wanted to get down to Deals Gap as soon as possible so we got off and slabbed it the rest of the day to Roanoke.

While on the Skyline, we covered so few centimetres on the map during that morning despite our speed (because of all the twisties) it seemed like it would take days to get down to Deals Gap

I have to agree the Busabob,

I just got back from a Week trip that took almost the same route, only we hit Nashville after the Gap then 1 day home from Nashville.

From Front Royal we rode Skyline, hard to go too fast due to twisties then it was getting late so we rode about 3o miles of BRP then slabbed it to Roanoke.

Your trip is doable in perfect weather, if you hit rain like we did, you will be altering your route with some slab or plan on atleast plan on shorter miliage on rain days.
We hit such bad rain with hail, couldn't see the bike infront, limped to nearest outlook.

Keep Rain suit handy and rubber side down! Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom