First Gear Jumps/Stutters | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Gear Jumps/Stutters

architect

Site Supporter
Newbie here,

My bike seems to jump at low speed (<25km) whenever I give it throttle. Is this normal? I will be coasting at low speed in first gear and then when I give it some gas the bike kicks. It doesn't kick once I get higher in speed and shift up. It is something I'm doing wrong, or is it there something with the bike, or is this all normal?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yep, that's normal.. use the clutch more at those speeds to smooth it out

What bike is this?

P.S If your just coasting without giving any throttle, try to set your idle higher by turning the idle screw.

First gear is always a really short ratio, so the smallest throttle input has significant pull. It's normal, you'll get the feel for it as you get more experience. At really low speed just feather the clutch.

2007 EX500

I'll try to play with the idle screw and I'll see about feathering the clutch to see if I can take out the jerkiness.

2007 EX500

I'll try to play with the idle screw and I'll see about feathering the clutch to see if I can take out the jerkiness.

Idle should be around 1.2k-1.5k. I have mine at around 1.3k (Ninja 250).

You're best to visit ex-500.com before monkeying with the bike.

Before fooling around with the idle and stuff just try being smoooother on the throttle and releasing the clutch, the kick should be that bad on it from what I remember. When I switch to my R6 from my 500, that's when I felt the kick!

Have fun with the Ex it is a great bike, I Loved mine.

I had an EX500 and had the same problems as you initially. If the bike is new to you then run a can of Seafoam through the gas tank with a fill up and adjust the idle properly AFTER the bike is warmed up. Also make sure you have the choke off when it's warm (you're not keeping it on after riding for a while by any chance are you?).

Do you know the history of the bike? Did the owner ride it a lot? Any chance the carbs need a little clean out?

Feathering the clutch in first was still needed after I adjusted everything on the bike but it was a little smoother.

First gear is always a really short ratio, so the smallest throttle input has significant pull. It's normal, you'll get the feel for it as you get more experience. At really low speed just feather the clutch.

What he said! ^^^

Forget screwing around with idle speed and fuel additives. Just ride the bike. You'll get used to it.

Under 20-25km/h I'm generally feathering the clutch due to first gear twitchiness. Normal on some bikes as far as I'm aware

Back
Top Bottom