First accident | GTAMotorcycle.com

First accident

IbbadMurtaza

Hey guys. I’m sorry if this is too brief, but I’ll try to be as clear as possible.

I’m in my third year of riding, in 2017 I got a 2015 Ninja 300 then sold it, in 2018 I got a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, then sold it, just last week I bought a 2015 Suzuki Boulevard M50.

Today I was riding in Ajax, ON. I was going straight on the road looking to the left as I wanted to turn left to go to a gas station, as soon as I looked infront of me, there was a pick up truck stopped at a red light, I didn’t have enough time, was close and hit my front brakes. My bike slipped and went a little under the truck and I went on to the side.

I scraped my left knee, but the rest was fine. I was wearing a lot of layers, that pretty much helped me save my skin.

I got checked in an ambulance, I refused to go to the hospital, then went to the collision centre and a representative told me that the collision was non-reportable, meaning I have no obligation to get the police involved.

I didn’t exchange any information with the other driver, neither did they show up to the collision centre. My bike’s in very decent condition, the handle bar, mirrors, and some side covers are off. The truck’s rear bumper has a small dent.
So a Couple of questions:

(1) When my bike was down, there was gasoline coming out. Is that normal or am I looking for some serious tank repairs?

(2) How much will my insurance increase by? I’m with co-operators group insurance.

(3) If there is anything else I should be worried about, what is it? Anything I need to watch out for?

Rev ON

Glad you're ok.

I would not go through insurance. The police aren't going to have a report. The other driver doesn't know who you are (which was a dumb move on their part) so they shouldn't cause you any problems. The cost to fix your bike will likely be less than the insurance increase if they pay to fix it.

Bikes on their side often leak gas out of the relief vent in the gas cap. It is worth having someone knowledgeable look over the bike, but I wouldn't be too worried about the gas.

I'm with GreyGhost on all counts.

Gas probably isn't an issue. Have someone that knows, check the bike over. Don't bother going thru insurance unless you want it back to mint condition, even so it might be cheaper in the long run to pay it yourself...it's an at fault for you. Or just fix what's necessary and keep riding it and don't worry about cosmetics for now and fix over time. Mostly, learn from this.

..... Anything I need to watch out for?...
pick up trucks

(3) Take some rider training and work on your threshold braking and situational awareness. How long were you not looking where you were going that a truck stopped at a red light took you by surprise? Rear-ending someone is inexcusable in my opinion. You're lucky you didn't run over a pedestrian, nevermind slide into the intersection and get run over yourself.

Glad you're ok.

I would not go through insurance. The police aren't going to have a report. The other driver doesn't know who you are (which was a dumb move on their part) so they shouldn't cause you any problems. The cost to fix your bike will likely be less than the insurance increase if they pay to fix it.

Bikes on their side often leak gas out of the relief vent in the gas cap. It is worth having someone knowledgeable look over the bike, but I wouldn't be too worried about the gas.

Thank you for your support and guidance Brother! My dumbass called the insurance company already, should’ve just waited.

Rev ON

(3) Take some rider training and work on your threshold braking and situational awareness. How long were you not looking where you were going that a truck stopped at a red light took you by surprise? Rear-ending someone is inexcusable in my opinion. You're lucky you didn't run over a pedestrian, nevermind slide into the intersection and get run over yourself.

I totally admit it’s my fault. I was looking to the left and then at the gas station, thinking if I should go there or not. It all just happened. I wasn’t speeding, just got lost in thought.

Rev ON

Gas probably isn't an issue. Have someone that knows, check the bike over. Don't bother going thru insurance unless you want it back to mint condition, even so it might be cheaper in the long run to pay it yourself...it's an at fault for you. Or just fix what's necessary and keep riding it and don't worry about cosmetics for now and fix over time. Mostly, learn from this.

pick up trucks

Appreciate the reply brother! Stupid me called the company and told them I got into a collision. Because I rear ended the truck, I’m automatically at fault. I really do want the bike back in mint condition.

The company rep told me that she’ll have someone call me in the next business day. My only problem is that I don’t remember what coverage I had. I can’t remember if I got collision or not, I know I have liability and comprehensive for sure. I’ll find out on Monday when the company opens.

Rev ON

What accident? I see no accident here, move along.

obiwan-arentthedroids.jpg

Appreciate the reply brother! Stupid me called the company and told them I got into a collision. Because I rear ended the truck, I’m automatically at fault. I really do want the bike back in mint condition.

The company rep told me that she’ll have someone call me in the next business day. My only problem is that I don’t remember what coverage I had. I can’t remember if I got collision or not, I know I have liability and comprehensive for sure. I’ll find out on Monday when the company opens.

Rev ON

Dig out your insurance invoice. Your coverage will be listed item by item and what teach tidbit costs.

Rev ON
Fairly certaim you can call back and cancel the claim but youll have something on your file stating you called in. The insurnacw gurus can provide more detail.

Dig out your insurance invoice. Your coverage will be listed item by item and what teach tidbit costs.

I got a call from them today, thank God I’m fully covered.
They’re going to send an appraiser to the towing yard and he or she will get back to me with an estimate, I’m going to have to pay a $500 deductible.

I was also informed that a health or injury officer will call me tomorrow and talk to me. I literally can’t walk unless I’m hopping.

What should I do?

Rev ON

You might want to hop on over to the hospital and tell em your horse threw you.
... your bikes name is horse, right ;)

I was also informed that a health or injury officer will call me tomorrow and talk to me. I literally can’t walk unless I’m hopping.

What should I do?

Rev ON

If your condition has changed or you did not get prior medical assessment after the accident go to a clinic, or family physician (who later may appear as biased but knows you better that anyone else prior to accident) PRIOR to meeting with your * cough cough* unbiased insurance paid for by insurance company injury office assessment.

Too bad you already contacted the insurance. Unless the bike is really trashed to the tune of several thousand dollars worth of damage the extra hit you're going to pay in insurance costs for the next 6 years are going to FAR exceed the value of the repair. Some insurance companies may also refuse to underwrite you moving forward as well as a "new" (<6 years experience) rider with a claim on your MC riding record now.

You also probably have a $1000 deductible, so you're still going to be out a good sum of money right out of the gate.

Seriously, consider cancelling the claim. You can do that now under the law.

If I was in the same situation where I wrecked but everyone walked away (no charges, no reports, no tickets) and there was no claims or problems from others involved, broken bones or not, I'd quietly walk or hop away and count my blessings, fix or replace my bike on my own dime, and move on. Insurance sucks - it sucks more when you're at fault for something, and actually use it.

It's interesting to read that from PP. I happen to agree but, just for the sake of discussion, it's interesting to me because PP often rails -- rightly -- against insurance fraud. I wonder what his thoughts are re withholding information about an at-fault accident from an insurance company in this way: The insurance company is not getting a complete picture of the risk they've assumed in the same way that the true risk is not visible to them when a father is listed as the "primary" rider of a sportbike actually ridden mostly by the son.

If a future claim was made because of another accident involving, say, personal injury and it came to light that this previous incident was not reported, would the insurance company have any conceivable case upon which to deny coverage?

It's interesting to read that from PP. I happen to agree but, just for the sake of discussion, it's interesting to me because PP often rails -- rightly -- against insurance fraud. I wonder what his thoughts are re withholding information about an at-fault accident from an insurance company in this way: The insurance company is not getting a complete picture of the risk they've assumed in the same way that the true risk is not visible to them when a father is listed as the "primary" rider of a sportbike actually ridden mostly by the son.

If a future claim was made because of another accident involving, say, personal injury and it came to light that this previous incident was not reported, would the insurance company have any conceivable case upon which to deny coverage?

I guess it depends where one draws the line. If no police are present when you go 15 over do you report it to your insurer when no harm is done?

On the other hand the limp indicates leg injury and if a clot forms and goes to the lungs and the person ends up with a pulmonary embolism when does the source of the injury get reported?

If your condition has changed or you did not get prior medical assessment after the accident go to a clinic, or family physician (who later may appear as biased but knows you better that anyone else prior to accident) PRIOR to meeting with your * cough cough* unbiased insurance paid for by insurance company injury office assessment.

Thanks for the guidance and advice brother. I’ll go see my family doctor tomorrow and have her check it out. Will the injury officer try to do something fishy? Like underestimate my injuries or something?

Rev ON

Too bad you already contacted the insurance. Unless the bike is really trashed to the tune of several thousand dollars worth of damage the extra hit you're going to pay in insurance costs for the next 6 years are going to FAR exceed the value of the repair. Some insurance companies may also refuse to underwrite you moving forward as well as a "new" (
You also probably have a $1000 deductible, so you're still going to be out a good sum of money right out of the gate.

Seriously, consider cancelling the claim. You can do that now under the law.

If I was in the same situation where I wrecked but everyone walked away (no charges, no reports, no tickets) and there was no claims or problems from others involved, broken bones or not, I'd quietly walk or hop away and count my blessings, fix or replace my bike on my own dime, and move on. Insurance sucks - it sucks more when you're at fault for something, and actually use it.

Thank you so much for the advice brother. They’re going to send an appraiser to the towing yard soon. Can I cancel my claim after he gives me an estimate? My deductible is $500. Right now I’m paying $90/month for insurance, which is pretty decent for my age (25). How much approx will it increase by?

Rev ON

Back
Top Bottom