Finger printing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finger printing

ABadjusterrider_5

Ummmm count me out if this ever comes down the line

So the strippers of Niagara Falls have their knickers in a knot about getting fingerprinted.
Hands off our pinkies, they cry.
The police reply: No prints, no pole dance licence.
Same will go for cabbies, bus drivers and anyone else renewing city licences — even if they don’t pole dance.
Keeps out the riff-raff. The bylaw awaits a vote by Niagara Regional Council.
“This is absolutely outrageous, discriminatory and insulting,” says stripper spokesman Tim Lambrinos. “Will the police be demanding fingerprints from women obtaining health cards or driver’s licences?”
Well, yes, probably sooner than you think.
“This is the best method we have found for proving someone’s identity,” Det.-Sgt. Craig Labaune tells our Tom Godfrey.
So get used to it, Bambi, Fifi, Star, Tiffani and Candi.
Fingerprint and other kinds of physical trait ID — biometrics — will become the norm. It’s not science fiction. It’s not Mission Impossible. It’s now.
Privacy? If you have no blood on your hands, so to speak, why worry?
Biometrics are just a high-tech means to our eternal quest — stop the bad guys.
Major Canadian airports already have iris readers, for folks who want to fast-track through customs. Eventually, “e-gates” will replace security, too.
Which would you prefer? A fingerprint reader and a face recognition screen? Or a big, hairy guy named Burt patting you down?
All those who picked Burt, form a line over there. Way over there.
I’ll feel better about getting on a plane if I know every passenger’s face, fingerprint and iris have passed muster.
Plus, think of all the perverts, punks, thugs, thieves and general scum that biometrics could put out of business.
This is no small potatoes. India has begun taking fingerprints and scanning irises of each of its 1.2 billion people. Israel plans the same, but with prints and facial scans.
Meanwhile, Facebook has a new and controversial face-recognition function for tagging photos.
Elsewhere, there’s an advertising screen that changes depending on the faces looking at it.
For instance, if kids walk by, it switches to an ice cream ad.
And Maxwell “Get” Smart thought the “cone of silence” was high-tech.
Technology is even afoot that will identify people by their smell. That’s kind of freaky.
Mostly, I expect we’ll see biometrics at the office, for access, once we get over our fear of fingerprints.
“The image over the years is that the only people who were fingerprinted were criminals,” Shiraz Kapadia tells me. He’s COO at the Markham office of Bioscrypt, which has sold 600,000 fingerprint readers around the world.
It’s true. When Jack London said “book ‘em, Danno,” and they rolled your fingers in ink, you felt lower than a snake.
Take away the stigma — the new print readers don’t use ink — and you’re left with a built-in access card. Your own pinky.
There are drawbacks. A few people don’t have fingerprints, including some bricklayers, chemo patients and poison ivy victims. And madly-typing columnists.
Do not tell the crooks, but it also is possible to file off your prints.
Worse, in Malaysia in 2005, carjackers sliced off the index finger of a Mercedes owner for use on the auto’s security system.
I am happy to report new print readers check for pulse — and some identify you by your distinctive vein pattern.
Still queasy?
Then smile for the 3-D face identifier. At Bioscrypt, that’s how staffers come and go.
The machine tells me to piss off, in so many words.
It’s cool, frankly. Groovy, as we used to say when keys were king.
Imagine a world with no ID cards, no fobs, no SIN numbers, no passwords, no pockets full of key-rings.
A world of James Bonds and Ethan Hunts.
So give us a finger, as it were, Destiny Dawn. And smile for the camera.

Ummmm count me out if this ever comes down the line

So the strippers of Niagara Falls have their knickers in a knot about getting fingerprinted.
Hands off our pinkies, they cry.
The police reply: No prints, no pole dance licence.
Same will go for cabbies, bus drivers and anyone else renewing city licences — even if they don’t pole dance.
Keeps out the riff-raff. The bylaw awaits a vote by Niagara Regional Council.
“This is absolutely outrageous, discriminatory and insulting,” says stripper spokesman Tim Lambrinos. “Will the police be demanding fingerprints from women obtaining health cards or driver’s licences?”
Well, yes, probably sooner than you think.
“This is the best method we have found for proving someone’s identity,” Det.-Sgt. Craig Labaune tells our Tom Godfrey.
So get used to it, Bambi, Fifi, Star, Tiffani and Candi.
Fingerprint and other kinds of physical trait ID — biometrics — will become the norm. It’s not science fiction. It’s not Mission Impossible. It’s now.
Privacy? If you have no blood on your hands, so to speak, why worry?
Biometrics are just a high-tech means to our eternal quest — stop the bad guys.
Major Canadian airports already have iris readers, for folks who want to fast-track through customs. Eventually, “e-gates” will replace security, too.
Which would you prefer? A fingerprint reader and a face recognition screen? Or a big, hairy guy named Burt patting you down?
All those who picked Burt, form a line over there. Way over there.
I’ll feel better about getting on a plane if I know every passenger’s face, fingerprint and iris have passed muster.
Plus, think of all the perverts, punks, thugs, thieves and general scum that biometrics could put out of business.
This is no small potatoes. India has begun taking fingerprints and scanning irises of each of its 1.2 billion people. Israel plans the same, but with prints and facial scans.
Meanwhile, Facebook has a new and controversial face-recognition function for tagging photos.
Elsewhere, there’s an advertising screen that changes depending on the faces looking at it.
For instance, if kids walk by, it switches to an ice cream ad.
And Maxwell “Get” Smart thought the “cone of silence” was high-tech.
Technology is even afoot that will identify people by their smell. That’s kind of freaky.
Mostly, I expect we’ll see biometrics at the office, for access, once we get over our fear of fingerprints.
“The image over the years is that the only people who were fingerprinted were criminals,” Shiraz Kapadia tells me. He’s COO at the Markham office of Bioscrypt, which has sold 600,000 fingerprint readers around the world.
It’s true. When Jack London said “book ‘em, Danno,” and they rolled your fingers in ink, you felt lower than a snake.
Take away the stigma — the new print readers don’t use ink — and you’re left with a built-in access card. Your own pinky.
There are drawbacks. A few people don’t have fingerprints, including some bricklayers, chemo patients and poison ivy victims. And madly-typing columnists.
Do not tell the crooks, but it also is possible to file off your prints.
Worse, in Malaysia in 2005, carjackers sliced off the index finger of a Mercedes owner for use on the auto’s security system.
I am happy to report new print readers check for pulse — and some identify you by your distinctive vein pattern.
Still queasy?
Then smile for the 3-D face identifier. At Bioscrypt, that’s how staffers come and go.
The machine tells me to piss off, in so many words.
It’s cool, frankly. Groovy, as we used to say when keys were king.
Imagine a world with no ID cards, no fobs, no SIN numbers, no passwords, no pockets full of key-rings.
A world of James Bonds and Ethan Hunts.
So give us a finger, as it were, Destiny Dawn. And smile for the camera.

it is coming and people will line up for it. worse we'll be lining up to have rfid chips put into our bodies so we can pay with a wave of the hand.

and i've already been printed from when i had a government security clearance in ottawa... i can condone it for a high security job but to have a licence? nyet.

Last edited:
My prints are also on file, on two couple of counts; application for a government job years back, that required a security check, and restricted weapons certificate. No one is making much noise over those things.

I'm curious as to strippers?! Why strippers specifically? Do strippers typically portray a high crime rate of some sort? I just don't get it.

I'm curious as to strippers?! Why strippers specifically? Do strippers typically portray a high crime rate of some sort? I just don't get it.
Many are here working illegally, and it's probably all under the table cash money. The government stopped issuing work visas to foreign exotic dancers, and they are probably trying to get them out of the clubs.

Many are here working illegally, and it's probably all under the table cash money. The government stopped issuing work visas to foreign exotic dancers, and they are probably trying to get them out of the clubs.

There's also the issue of fake IDs being tied to human trafficking, for the sex trade. That way officials and police can know the person the license was issued for, is actually the person they're talking to. Or so the story goes.

Since I have nothing to hide, if it curbs human trafficing, helps me not get blown up on an airplane and protects me from fraud at the bank I'm not having an issue with it.

My biggest fear is the billions spent to bring the systems on line, can anybody say long gun registry without crying a little.

The question then becomes whether it's a reasonable enough accommodation, for the number of people helped, to justify gathering information from that potentially large a number of people.

The, "Do you have anything to hide?" comment is frequently used by those who would take away your essential freedoms, simply to make their own jobs easier. That's not the way things are supposed to work.

My opinion is; I have a right to my privacy, I have a right to feel free. If I wish to be a private person, I live in Canada for that reason.

I got a taxi licence in St. Catharines in 1981 and had to be fingerprinted and photographed by the NRPD...

The important question: Will the co$t of table dance$ go up? <grin>

I don't know if he had a line per se, but he wrote White Fang, Call of the Wild and some others based on the Klondike gold rush. He was only in the Klondike a short time, but it's where he maede it big as a writer.

I see where this is going...
They want to be able to see u naked, now they to have your prints and biometrics. Where will it end? Maybe a blood sample while you're at it and a profile of your entire DNA?

Sheesh some ppl :bs:

Jack London. Missed that one on the skim through the first time.

There's gotta be a joke in there somewhere... "I'll show you my ta-ta's and hu-ha, but how dare you invade my privacy and ask for my fingerprints..."

The, "Do you have anything to hide?" comment is frequently used by those who would take away your essential freedoms, simply to make their own jobs easier. That's not the way things are supposed to work.
Bingo!

There's gotta be a joke in there somewhere... "I'll show you my ta-ta's and hu-ha, but how dare you invade my privacy and ask for my fingerprints..."

Bingo!

Do you remember the fuss over a Ryerson University librarian taking pictures of the girls at The Zanzibar, on the roof of the club? They'll show everything to complete strangers, for a few bucks, but heaven forbid that someone they KNOW might find out what they do.

Back
Top Bottom