Finding out who owns a number | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finding out who owns a number

palmpalm

Site Supporter
How can I find out who a cellphone number belongs to (besides the obvious answer of calling and asking)? Any web-sites to do this at? I tried searching but couldn't find anything that seemed legit.

I don't think u can; this would be a massive breach of privacy. Why do u want to know who it is? Only way would be to call and talk or get a call back and look at the caller ID.

Post the number.

Google "reverse phone lookup" and search on whitepages. If it's not there. It's not published and the methods would be illegal......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverse phone lookup is hit or miss, but it's always worth a try.

You might have thought of this, but there's a not-so-obvious method of calling and asking: Don't call them for a week to let some time pass and get a friend to call them. Works most of the time if you can say the right things to catch them slipping.

Try putting the number directly into Yahoo or Google, sometimes the numbers might get indexed through that. I've seen it happen where the number indexed back to a Kijiji, Craigslist or something. If not see if you can call from a payphone, the phone in a doctor's office or wherever you can borrow their phone.

When it comes to cell phones, I've had fairly good luck by just searching for the phone number on Google or Yahoo. Frequently the number will turn up in for-sale ads, forum posts, and the like.

Word of warning, for those who post their numbers online ;)

When it comes to cell phones, I've had fairly good luck by just searching for the phone number on Google or Yahoo. Frequently the number will turn up in for-sale ads, forum posts, and the like.

Word of warning, for those who post their numbers online ;)

I never put my phone number in my ads and then buyers complain that I'm being secretive (while at the same time they won't email me their names LOL!)

Reverse phone lookup works great for landlines, not so much for mobile phones.
The suggestion of searching in google is a good idea in case that person is stupid enough to put it on their facebook info section (honestly, I don't know why people do this).

Other than that, you'd be really stretching the boundaries of legality.

One thing you can do:

Let's say the number is 416-696-1234
The 416 is the area code, the 696 is a block of numbers assigned to a specific carrier. You can find out which carrier that is with a bit of googling.
Then you can call that company and ask, but I am 99% sure they won't give you any info you're looking for. Depending how desperate you are, it's just a suggestion. The worse thing they will say is "sorry we can't tell you who this phone number belongs to" and then hang up on you. Big whoop.

I just tried my own cell phone on this reverse lookup, yeah....definitely not me in the results haha.

Call them back from a number they won't recognize. Claim you're some business....like a realter calling a client. Act confused and say "to whom am I speaking" professionally. If they are reluctant ask if they are a business and ask if John Johnson (who ever) is available there or at another office. Act confused and repeat "sorry, who am I speaking with?" Keep asking them if they can put you through to John Johnson. Act confused and self important and semi urgent.

They will eventually cough up that they are a private number and maybe even cough up a name. Dont forget to be polite and introduce yourself (with a fake name), so they give up their first name in a cooperational spirit to help you with your issue that your having trying to locate John Johnson.

Example:

"Hi I'm Dwayne Burton, I'm returning a call but do not recognize the number. Could I please ask who I am speaking to?"

"No one called you from this number."

"Sorry, but I have a call from this number.....might you by chance be John Johnson"

"No"

"Again I'm sorry, maybe you can be of assistance, I'm Dwayne from ReMax, the number is vaguely familiar and I suspect John might have called me from his office line regarding a property he has enquired about. Is this an office? Who am I speaking with?"

(ideally)
"I don't know a John, I'm George and this is a private number"

"Would there be any reason someone may have used your phone to call me?" (this is where you bluff to enquire further as if you're puzzled, because you're pretending not to care that this person is George...you're pretending to a) solve the mystery and b) possible find "John". Don't act like you really cared who actually answered the phone."Oh so you're not even able to put me through to John, so sorry I thought you may have been able to help. Thanks for clarifying and sorry for your trouble. Bye"

Last edited:
lol what .... why would u want to know this?

and i just hang on on idiots who call I don't want to speak to, so not sure what you would accomplish by phoning and harassing this guy

Could be an important missed business oportunity....but I assumed a crazy Ex or stalker might be the reason.

Back
Top Bottom