Fiberglass Repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fiberglass Repair

PaisaMed

I'm looking to do a fiberglass repair on a non motorcycle related item. I'm looking for a small piece of fiberglass mat (15cm by 30 cm) and a little bit of resin and hardener. Anybody have leftovers?

Woven or chopped strand matt? I probably have both but no resin. But I'm just west of Stratford.

I may have woven and goo but the goo is a few years old and has been in an unheated garage. Shouldn't have frozen but I don't know if I would trust it. Near Barrie. It would be cheaper to buy some than drive up here to get it.

little piece of woven mat will suffice

they'll have fresh resin and hardener too. no need to strain GG's lumpy stuff.

I usually went with mat first then roving and then mat again.

I know I have chopped strand mat and I'd have to check on roving. That's 6" X 12" in Christian measurement.

If it's critical you get into waxed vs unwaxed resins, various types of polyesters, grooved rollers, etc.

Be prepared for styrene odour. In winter when I can't work outside I use epoxy as it has a lot lower odour but much higher price, two part gold.

how many laminations do you think you'll need?

P.S. Epoxy doesn't wet out chopped strand mat and I just checked, I have some roving as well. Bloor 427

P.S. Epoxy doesn't wet out chopped strand mat and I just checked, I have some roving as well. Bloor 427
yes watch for that. the binder in CSM won't disolve with epoxy like it does with polyester and will make it harder to work.
sandwiching woven between CSM also helps to give a better show surface - preventing the coarser woven texture from telegraphing through the finish.

I want to wrap a ski pole to repair it. I need about 12" of length and then I'm going to saturate it with resin and hardener. It does not have to be pretty. I might give it a courtesy sanding to remove rough edges and maybe hit it with some rattle can paint.

I want to wrap a ski pole to repair it. I need about 12" of length and then I'm going to saturate it with resin and hardener. It does not have to be pretty. I might give it a courtesy sanding to remove rough edges and maybe hit it with some rattle can paint.
I recently wrapped a paper tube to reinforce it. It was a pain trying to get it neat and it was never right. Doing it over again I would tack it together and wind a tape in a spiral. Clean it up after. Doing it by the book is extremely time consuming.

If your fixing a ski pole or any tube , take a broken piece to home depot and get a wood dowel to insert as a plug, or use a pencil if you have one or anything that fits, a clean break on a tube will never be the same without a splint , then rough up the surfaces so you have a mechanical tooth bond as well as a chemical bond .
Use a sheet of formica or a pc of reject melamine as a work table and throughly wet out the patch material , then wrap the pole. I like to buy the 2 or 3" glass tape ( CTC auto aisle) and spiral wind the pole. When you wet out the fiber first you only have resin that will be working/ helping in the repair , not running all over.

Back
Top Bottom