Feeler Gauges?? Which type???? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Feeler Gauges?? Which type????

average home owner doesn't have/can't read a mic
stacking feeler gauges does leave you prone to arithmetic errors

CTC sells a $20 digital vernier that any monkey can use
not a bad tool to measure your stack to avoid a f-up

and will have many more uses for the average dude than a mic

I have one of those, and a micrometer. Best to double check. I found the digital mastercraft one was pretty accurate. You're going to adjust the clearance to the larger end of spec anyways; it'll tighten up again over time.

@oioioi As per the PM's, the valve cover gasket most often can be re-used. I think you asked about a timing cover gasket? If it comes off in one piece, I'd re-use it. It should be pretty cheap to get another, so best to have it on hand. A small amount of high heat gasket maker can work in a pinch )don't use too much - last thing you want to do is have that **** going around in your engine, and plugging up an oil gallery, or the sump screen.

You should be able to disconnect the bracket/bolt holding your rad in place, and pull it forward enough to get easy access to the valve cover. I wouldn't drain it if you don't have to. If you do have to and you want to keep your engine ice that you swapped into it this winter, just pull the drain bolt out of the water pump cover and drain it into a clean container, or clean oil pan. Put it back in when you're done.

Thank you @matt365
That's exactly what I was thinking with the coolant. Drain it into a clean container and reuse. (F9 did just increase the price on it :mad: )

I'll see how long it will take the dealer to get me a gasket to have on hand. If its a long wait, I might just be careful and reuse the existing. I can always put a brand new one on later in the season.

Here was my nightmare last November. Cam gear holding tool, crank pin to lock out the crank, then on the stator side to lock out the front bank of cylinders... that's what I get for buying a gear driven cam V-4. Yours will be MUCH easier than this!

A little bit of sealant at the edges where the valve cover gasket "lobes" go is a good idea. My buddy gave me some aircraft goop that is meant to swell O-rings (to put around both sides of the rest of the valve cover gasket); its apparently stupid expensive. I'm sure there is something similar, and far cheaper in the automotive world.

Check if your cam chain automatic tensioner has to be removed when the cams (if it needs to be adjusted...) come out when swapping the shims. There's a proper procedure for backing off the tension (or you just swap it for a manual cam chain tensioner.. Ape, Krieger, whatever brand you like - not everyone likes manual cam chain tensioners.)

Have a decent torque wrench for the cam followers. Inch pounds, or low ft.lbs. Probably like 7 ftlbs for those bolts. Same for the valve cover... pretty low values. Cris-cross pattern when re-installing over the cams.

you dudes trying to impress yourselves...
a mic is good if it's calibrated, in good condition, and the operator can read it
Dude! How do you calibrate a precision cut thread?
and if you can't read a micrometer you should have been paying closer attention to the shop teacher in grade 9.

Dude! How do you calibrate a precision cut thread?
and if you can't read a micrometer you should have been paying closer attention to the shop teacher in grade 9.
Not sure if serious? 0.5000 may read as 0.5001 and you need to adjust it. As for shop, many high schools dont have shop classes. We are raising a generation of mostly useless people.

Not sure if serious? 0.5000 may read as 0.5001 and you need to adjust it. As for shop, many high schools dont have shop classes. We are raising a generation of mostly useless people.
Oh so if J_F went to a collegiate or vocational school,
it makes sense that he would not know how a micrometer is made or operates.

A micrometer operates on the simple principal of a very finely machined screw thread.

Oh so if J_F went to a collegiate or vocational school,
it makes sense that he would not know how a micrometer is made or operates.

A micrometer operates on the simple principal of a very finely machined screw thread.
That accurately computes out from a reference distance but it isn't uncommon for the reference distance to be incorrect. If you are just using for relative measurements, no calibration is required. If you want to compare to an absolute value, you really should be checking cal.

I suppose I could use a microscope to check my micrometers seeing as microscopes can measure far more accurately then any mechanical device. But even if they are off, you can't alter a micrometers inaccuracy and just as with a feeler gauge the operation needs more then just a slight clue about what they are doing.

Can't think of any reason why i would need to know the exact measurement of something working on my bikes.Checking valve shims,all i need to find is the shim that is .002 smaller or larger.Never used the pin spanner on mine.Doubt that i ever will.The key is to NEVER let anyone borrow your tools.I had a coworker borrow my caliper and bring it back with a bent tip.He used it as a scribe doing layout.He bought it on the spot and very rarely talked to me again.
by5OAeY.jpg

Can't think of any reason why i would need to know the exact measurement of something working on my bikes.Checking valve shims,all i need to find is the shim that is .002 smaller or larger.Never used the pin spanner on mine.Doubt that i ever will.The key is to NEVER let anyone borrow your tools.I had a coworker borrow my caliper and bring it back with a bent tip.He used it as a scribe doing layout.He bought it on the spot and very rarely talked to me again.
by5OAeY.jpg

If you ever need to borrow a bigger one I have 1" micrometers 2" micrometers and a hundred+ year old micrometer that measures from 3 to 6 inches with brutal accuracy.
If you need to calibrate your microscope reticule for accurate measure, I can loan you a microscope stage micrometer slide which is basically the worlds smallest ruler. You need a microscope just to read it.

now carry on distributing your cleverness, or talk about tigers and Covid
OK ? How about ultra-microtomes:
4335005-0_302173_4335005_1295.jpg

I could fix one if it is broken and you could google it just to know what it is. :LOL:

Is that like a really small book

Here is my two cents: When you buy a set of feeler gauges, make sure you are buying them in the right range! Take a look at what your valve clearance specs are, and use that to inform your purchase. If you grab some off the shelf at the tire hole, more likely than not they will be too big.

When I did my shim under bucket valve check it would have been nice to find a set of feeler gauges in thousands and then half thousands in the range I needed, but could not find anywhere. I set I ended up using had a .0015 gauge which is much better to use than the flimsy .0005. If you have a full range of shims to choose from then that half thousand gauge allows some fine tuning of clearances.

When I did my shim under bucket valve check it would have been nice to find a set of feeler gauges in thousands and then half thousands in the range I needed, but could not find anywhere. I set I ended up using had a .0015 gauge which is much better to use than the flimsy .0005. If you have a full range of shims to choose from then that half thousand gauge allows some fine tuning of clearances.

OK, so you've measured the valve lash down to half a thou resolution.
And shims come in 2.5 thou graduations.
What's the point of even trying to get half a thou resolution?

OK, so you've measured the valve lash down to half a thou resolution.
And shims come in 2.5 thou graduations.
What's the point of even trying to get half a thou resolution?

Exactly. When you re-check your clearances before the valve covers go on, does the feeler gauge drag, or go in smoothly. Pretty easy to guess what side of the measurement you are on at that point...

They give an acceptable range for the clearances anyways.

Pretty sure the factory shims come in 2.5 thou graduations.
Also pretty sure the Hotcams kits come in 5 thou graduations. Put it on the loose side of the acceptable values, call it good.

Valve clearance example:
Intake: 0.12 ± 0.03 mm (0.005 ± 0.001 in)
Exhaust: 0.30 ± 0.03 mm (0.012 ± 0.001 in)
Tolerance is always right in the book
and "Inspect and adjust the valve clearance while the engine is cold (below 35°C/95°F)."

Back
Top Bottom