FAST riding school - Shannonville | GTAMotorcycle.com

FAST riding school - Shannonville

DucatiDan

Hey guys, I just completed Phase 1 of the Fast riding school with Michel Mercier. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to work on their riding skills. Awesome.

Yap did it 10years a go and definitely worth it every penny.;-)

Need more info. I looked at this course online. Gimme a breakdown of your day if you wouldn't mind? Did you use your own bike?

Yap did it 10years a go and definitely worth it every penny.;-)

+1
I did the two day about 10 years ago, it was worth every penny! Funny side effect, I rode much slower on the street after that, took the hooligan right out of me.

Need more info. I looked at this course online. Gimme a breakdown of your day if you wouldn't mind? Did you use your own bike?

Ive done it a few times now.

Basically you can choose their bike, or your own.

Michel Mercier (sp) teaches you different components of braking/accelerating/lean angle etc. After each component you go out on the track and try and apply what you learned.

They normally have some guys out as instructors on the course ie Andew Nelson, Francis Martin.
Afterwards they talk to you about things your doing good on, and things you need to improve on.

Overall you get about 5 to 6 sessions out on the track with the bike.

The registration was at 8:00 & there was a classroom session for a little over an hour where Mercier went through some of the Physics involved in riding as well as some tips on braking, turning, lines on the track, etc.

After that we were broke into 3 groups of 11 and we had a 10-minute lapping session where we were led by an instructor. This was at a slow pace to learn the lines of the track. After being brought back in to go over our ride & get some feedback, we had another instructor-led 10 minute session at a bit quicker pace.

We then broke for lunch which was 45 minutes.

After lunch, we did a 10-minute session practicing braking & downshifting, a 10-minute "open" time where we rode without instructors, a couple more 10-minute instructor led sessions at increased speed an we finished with a final 10-minute lapping session.

Every 10 minute session was followed by 10 minutes of feedback from instructors & then a 10-minute "lesson" from Mercier. At the end of the day, they gave out certificates & awards.

I rented one of their sv650s and it was a great little track tool. I didn't want the hassle I prepping my bike for the track do the extra $200 was worth it to me.

If you have any other questions, ask away.

I'm considering signing up for this. DucatiDan, or anyone else, how did the insurance part work? I see from the website its around $110-$120 to lower the deductible. It also says the rider is responsible upto $2000 in damage. Is the damage ever typically that high? Did you get this, or is the potential damage usually just fairings? I have no problem paying for the insurance, just want some insight from people that have done the course from their experience if its worth getting the insurance or not. Obviously the safe bet is to go with it, but any feedback on that part is appreciated.

My wife did Fast Phase 1 a couple of years ago. She purchased the additional insurance, as per my suggestion -- I've fixed my own bike a few times after wading it up at the track. It's never cheap. Anyhow, long story short, given she's 5 foot nothing, she lost her footing and dropped the bike while pitting between sessions. Mercier and a few students helped her back up, and he didn't bother even mentioning the incident which included a few dings/dents to the bike. I'm sure if I paid for the repair out of pocket, it would have been at least a few hundred dollars, even for a simple drop in the pits.

Pay the insurance and push your riding within your comfort level with no reservations. The peace of mind is worth it.

I'm considering signing up for this. DucatiDan, or anyone else, how did the insurance part work? I see from the website its around $110-$120 to lower the deductible. It also says the rider is responsible upto $2000 in damage. Is the damage ever typically that high? Did you get this, or is the potential damage usually just fairings? I have no problem paying for the insurance, just want some insight from people that have done the course from their experience if its worth getting the insurance or not. Obviously the safe bet is to go with it, but any feedback on that part is appreciated.

If you rent their bike, insurance is included regardless. It wih the 2000 deductible. If you buy their additional insurance, it lowers the deductible. I paid the 109 and pushed the bike without worrying about the potential of having to spend $2000. I chose to use my own equipment even though the use of their helmets, suits, gloves, & boots was included in the bike rental cost. My stuff fits me and is in good shape (plus the thought of sharing a leather suit was a little bit nasty).
d8da1df3-0236-0452.jpg

Back
Top Bottom