Extra Fuel Solution | GTAMotorcycle.com

Extra Fuel Solution

unL33T

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I thought some of you long distance riders might be interested in this product to be used in case you run out of fuel in an emergency. Supposedly much safer than carrying actual extra fuel around. Definitely more expensive than just carrying some gas, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Extra-...705&sr=8-1&keywords=extra+fuel&tag=gmgamzn-20
i
i saw an idea on the Internet about going to MEC or Lebarons and getting the 1 liter camping fuel bottle. It looks like a metal drinking bottle but it is made for fuel. He fills it at the gas station. The guy has two in his bag or backpack in case he runs low he can just pour it in the tank and it will get him to a gas station. Once a month he pours that fuel into his tank and replaces it with new stuff. The bottles are around $10-$15 each.

I am going to do that this summer. My bike only has a 14 liter tank so my range is a little limited and I have 5 tours planned this year so far.

Thats a pretty expensive proposition 23.99/ 1/2 Gal (assuming US Gal.) works out to $12.675/litre.

I think I would make extra stops if needed given this price or as do as 2fast2beat has suggexted

Last edited:
i
i saw an idea on the Internet about going to MEC or Lebarons and getting the 1 liter camping fuel bottle. It looks like a metal drinking bottle but it is made for fuel. He fills it at the gas station. The guy has two in his bag or backpack in case he runs low he can just pour it in the tank and it will get him to a gas station. Once a month he pours that fuel into his tank and replaces it with new stuff. The bottles are around $10-$15 each.

I am going to do that this summer. My bike only has a 14 liter tank so my range is a little limited and I have 5 tours planned this year so far.
I emailed the manufacturers that make those bottles. They told me you can store camp fuel in them and could BREIFLY store gasoline in it but that the gasoline would slowly eat away at it and that it also wasn't designed to handle a crash at all.

I have these tool tubes from twisted throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-tool-tube-w-mounting-kit fitted to the underside of my hard cases and they fit a one litre fuel bottle perfectly. I don't think the fuel will eat away at the fuel bottle as the bottle I bought seems to be designed for MSR multi-fuel stoves, one of those fuels is gasoline. By the way, those exact same tool tubes can be bought for a few dollars from tractor supply companies, they are used to store instruction manuals inside the cabs.

In the event of a crash I think the tool tube will be ripped off so I'm not too worried about bursting into flames from that.

Thats a pretty expensive proposition 23.99/ 1/2 Gal (assumuming US Gal.) works out to $12.675/litre.

I think I would make extra stops if needed given this price or as do as 2fast2beat has suggexted
It's for people that don't usually run out of gas but they want a maintenance-free backup just in case. You can just throw it in your trunk and forget about it until you run out unexpectedly, 10 years later.
I have these tool tubes from twisted throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-tool-tube-w-mounting-kit fitted to the underside of my hard cases and they fit a one litre fuel bottle perfectly. I don't think the fuel will eat away at the fuel bottle as the bottle I bought seems to be designed for MSR multi-fuel stoves, one of those fuels is gasoline. By the way, those exact same tool tubes can be bought for a few dollars from tractor supply companies, they are used to store instruction manuals inside the cabs.

In the event of a crash I think the tool tube will be ripped off so I'm not too worried about bursting into flames from that.
I get what you're saying but MSR actually told me gasoline will eat the bottles if used for long term storage. If you're going camping for a week it'll be fine but if you're going to leave gas in it all year they don't recommend that.

Interesting...Had no idea that fuel had the ability to eat at aluminum, what the MSR bottles are made of. The only thing that needs to be looked at is the O-ring for the cap....replace it with fuel resistant oring and call it a day. But at that point might as well have gone to Winners or whatnot and gotten some of the alu drinking bottles. They are the same stuff marketed and painted diff.

It's for people that don't usually run out of gas but they want a maintenance-free backup just in case. You can just throw it in your trunk and forget about it until you run out unexpectedly, 10 years later.
I get what you're saying but MSR actually told me gasoline will eat the bottles if used for long term storage. If you're going camping for a week it'll be fine but if you're going to leave gas in it all year they don't recommend that.

I was going to buy those bottle as well. The problem is the capacity. The 1L bottles hold like 750mL. You have to carry 3-4 i think to be safe.

I just did this instead. It was $55
2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting...Had no idea that fuel had the ability to eat at aluminum, what the MSR bottles are made of. The only thing that needs to be looked at is the O-ring for the cap....replace it with fuel resistant oring and call it a day. But at that point might as well have gone to Winners or whatnot and gotten some of the alu drinking bottles. They are the same stuff marketed and painted diff.
It wasn't the o ring they were concerned about. They told me the gasoline would eat the aluminum over time.

I see that it's "non flammible", and wonder how that's gonna help if I run out of gas.

It wasn't the o ring they were concerned about. They told me the gasoline would eat the aluminum over time.

I honestly can't see how that can happen. Those MSR canisters are not magic metal and they are designed for their multi-fuel stoves (jet fuel, diesel, kerosene, gasoline), I'm nearly certain they are just plain aluminum canisters...come to think of it, aren't most gas tanks on bikes aluminum?

Camp fuel and gasoline are essentially the same thing, camp fuel just doesn't have the same additives. If they are safe for camp fuel there is no reason they aren't safe for gas. I am sure that is just a CYA warning they give.

I've had a MSR bottle sitting full of gas since October, guess I might as well dump it in the car

They're not selling crash-resistant automotive fuel containers and discourage that use for liability reasons. Ethanol may damage the o-ring seal over time as well. Camp fuel is "pure" gasoline, right? I seriously doubt it affects aluminum though, considering that modern airliners use wing, tail and belly structures as fuel tanks and they're pretty much aluminum. Not gasoline, usually (kerosene-based), but MSR bottles handle that too.

Nothing beats a good old-fashioned gas can strapped to the back of your bike:

IMG_0129-L.jpg

i

hey folks, I wasn't trying to start a fight or argument when I replied to the original post, I was just offering another suggestion. I hope no one got offended.

Back
Top Bottom