Expired M1 can one still ride? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Expired M1 can one still ride?

Now you made me have to go look :/
"Pleasure Craft Operator Card
Nope, the word boat appears on it nowhere, they call them Pleasure Craft to be exact.

Hahahaha!!
Now I want to check mine.....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahaha!!
Now I want to check mine.....lol

Maybe they changed it half a dozen times, mine is 20 years old, but maritime laws haven't changed much so I think I'm good until they want more tax money and make it an annual thing.

Maybe they changed it half a dozen times, mine is 20 years old, but maritime laws haven't changed much so I think I'm good until they want more tax money and make it an annual thing.

“BOAT” is in big capital letters on the front of the card!!
594a5b9403e5a939d48980d6d1ca92e0.jpg

Did they bring it in in 2000? I only got mine in '06, outside the Crappy Tire. My little brother was grandfathered his for a while. There's a rumor that his kid wrote it for him, but he boats all the time, so he probably knows his stuff.

Did they bring it in in 2000? I only got mine in '06, outside the Crappy Tire.
Must have I got mine as soon as they came out, the whole clan went to Tweed for the course,
it was fun!
oh wait, I thought it was fun and everybody else thought it was stupid :unsure: ymmv.

Fun boating fact: Buddy who wants to pilot a little 15 runabout around the lake needs a licence if the engine is over 9.9.

But you can go to a houseboat rental place and with ZERO experience or knowledge at all... rent a 50' monster with a 18' beam... and you don't need any licence at all.

Fun boating fact: Buddy who wants to pilot a little 15 runabout around the lake needs a licence if the engine is over 9.9.

But you can go to a houseboat rental place and with ZERO experience or knowledge at all... rent a 50' monster with a 18' beam... and you don't need any licence at all.

Owning is different than renting.
If you own a boat with a motor bigger than 9.9hp it needs to be registered and you need a boaters license to operate it.
For rentals, the rental agency can give you a temporary boaters license after they go over the basic rules of the water which is then valid for your rental period.
I see what you’re saying though....it just doesn’t make sense. Kinda like someone can go write their M1 license test, having never touched a motorbike before, and go out a purchase/ride a Kawasaki H2 and be perfectly legal.

For all land vehicles though, the test is supervised closed book. Which is pretty solid proof that safety has absolutely dick all to do with the pleasure craft operators card. Just another cash grab, something they could sell to private parties to administer. Transport Canada even says on their website that they don't collect any money from any licensing fees, so basically they just pick up a lump sum by selling the rights/accreditation. Also, they found that they were missing out on too many anglers, so they took out the hp provision. It's ALL motors now, so using a little 5hp johnson or electric trolling motor doesn't bypass the need to buy the card.

For all land vehicles though, the test is supervised closed book. Which is pretty solid proof that safety has absolutely dick all to do with the pleasure craft operators card. Just another cash grab, something they could sell to private parties to administer. Transport Canada even says on their website that they don't collect any money from any licensing fees, so basically they just pick up a lump sum by selling the rights/accreditation. Also, they found that they were missing out on too many anglers, so they took out the hp provision. It's ALL motors now, so using a little 5hp johnson or electric trolling motor doesn't bypass the need to buy the card.
And there is no centralized database. Each private provider keeps their own records. I lost my card and was able to tell the provider the date I got the card as well as two license numbers that were given out within minutes (numbers appear to be sequential). They were unable to find my record and suggested I just pay full pop again to rewrite the test. Either beyond incompetent or criminals. Either way, they should have nothing to do with "licensing".

Thanks for all the replies, I didnt realize this thread got more then one reply as I only got one email notification due to the first reply from GreyGhost then nothing. I read that service ontario in Toronto is still doing g1 tests so I would assume m1 tests as well, but would have to confirm (maybe once covid calms down a bit more would make the trip). Thinking he should go the full motorcycle license route instead of the LSM license because then he could move up to a proper bike later and also get the huge insurance savings just from having been licensed for a couple years I would think.

Back
Top Bottom