Excessive tire wear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Excessive tire wear

daught

I just noticed a 2013 Elantra is wearing out a rear tire on both outer edges. The wear is very pronounced on the edges. This usually means under inflated, but the tire was at 30PSI instead of 32. I doubt 2 psi would make that big of a difference. The car has a solid rear axle. Can some sort of aliment issue cause such wear?
wear-on-both-shoulders.jpg

yup, alignment
bad shocks/struts and other suspension widgets can cause unusual wear as well

Any waves on the tires? Sounds more like rear wheel bearings. They have to be replaced every 150,000km. Easy job to do yourself. Pricey if you get a mech to do it.

The shocks are as good as they can be. The rear end always had a weird wobble when going over bumps at high speed. It feels like it kicks to the side. This is very subtle. It's kind of a known issue with that gen Elantra, attributed to the solid rear axle and no options for upgraded suspension.
There's no cupping/waves wear that's associated with shocks.

The bearings felt solid, and they don't make noise. I'll see what the alignment shop says. I might just order bearings and shocks. The car has 120k they will need replacement soon anyways.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I tried my bicycle shock pump. Says the tire is at 20 PSI. I guess my compressor pressure gauge is broken. The tire did not look low and the car did not pull to a side. I guess the stiff sidewalls combined with the light rear kept the tire shape.

I tried my bicycle shock pump. Says the tire is at 20 PSI. I guess my compressor pressure gauge is broken. The tire did not look low and the car did not pull to a side. I guess the stiff sidewalls combined with the light rear kept the tire shape.

Interesting. I try to check my gauges against each other at least a few times a year. More than once, I have retired a gauge because it was way off (hell, some come that way).

In the past, I haven't found low rear tire pressure resulted in pulling. I notice it first when the car turns in better than normal (especially only in one direction). It probably acts as poverty stability control and is equivalent to applying the brake on the inside wheel.

Cool. If I ever drive on a Nascar track I know how to set my car up with torque vectoring.

If I remember from auto class, scoops, wear on one edge, feathering could be bad strut, new struts not alinged, or excessisve castor/camber on a FWD car, or bad bearings but wear on both edges is almost always under inflation.

If you got a pressure reading of 20lbs you probably found your problem.

The shocks are as good as they can be. The rear end always had a weird wobble when going over bumps at high speed. It feels like it kicks to the side. This is very subtle. It's kind of a known issue with that gen Elantra, attributed to the solid rear axle and no options for upgraded suspension.

The bearings felt solid, and they don't make noise. I'll see what the alignment shop says. I might just order bearings and shocks. The car has 120k they will need replacement soon anyways.

120k on the car, how about the tires themselves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend has a 2013 Elantra and complained about rear tires wearing too fast. Took it to the dealer several times and they said there was nothing they could do about it. He's also getting paid by Hyundai per km because he bought it new and the mileage isn't even close to what he actually gets.
Have a look at this site https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/2013/

That wobble is absolutely retarded. I have the same car and I hate it! Any small bump with any sort of steering input and the back end wags like a tail. It legitimately feels dangerous, and freaks out people when they are in the car. My motor blew at 60k (hyundai warrantied) and now at 115k my wheel bearings are shot (front it seems). I go through a set of brakes every season, it's a total rust magnet and it's not very good on gas. The second set of tires I put on wore very weird in the back, almost in a diagonal ribbed pattern. Mechanic said they had never seen anything like it before. And AFAIK there is no alignment adjustment on the rear of these cars: "Toe is pre-set at the factory, so it does not need to be adjusted. If the toe is not within the standard value, replace or repair the damaged parts and then inspect again."

I won't be buying another Hyundai, thats for sure!

That wobble is absolutely retarded. I have the same car and I hate it! Any small bump with any sort of steering input and the back end wags like a tail. It legitimately feels dangerous, and freaks out people when they are in the car. My motor blew at 60k (hyundai warrantied) and now at 115k my wheel bearings are shot (front it seems). I go through a set of brakes every season, it's a total rust magnet and it's not very good on gas. The second set of tires I put on wore very weird in the back, almost in a diagonal ribbed pattern. Mechanic said they had never seen anything like it before. And AFAIK there is no alignment adjustment on the rear of these cars: "Toe is pre-set at the factory, so it does not need to be adjusted. If the toe is not within the standard value, replace or repair the damaged parts and then inspect again."

I won't be buying another Hyundai, thats for sure!

Glad I bought a dieselgate car. The elantra was a close second (not as nice but much cheaper).

I took it in for aliment. All good. Hopefully it was just the low pressure.

The car has had decent tire wear. Can't complain. Overall I like the car. No rust issues. The interior is nice, engine is running well. Brakes lasted 60-80k. It was pretty hard to find metallic pads, most are ceramic. I live the pins every tire change since they are supposed to be prone to freezing. Only issue was a blown ignition coil. What happened to you engine at 60k?

The rear kick is more noticeable with lower profile aggressive tires. 225-45r17 is a bit too much. It's barely noticable with OEM size.

We had a front wheel bearing start to make noise on a trip. We noticed the noise around Pennsylvania. I wasn't concerned since most cars can go for a while before it's an issue. By South Carolina it was totally destroyed. I was going to change it in Napa parking lot but... it was a pressed bearing. After a bit of a struggle a US dealer changed it.

Really overall I am impressed with Hyundai. I'd be first in line if they ever released a 6spd Torsten AWD wagon.

It seized solid. Mine is a manual and while clutching into first gear one day it just locked up, we tried to free it with a push and clutch drop but it just squealed the tires. The dealer said the motor had no oil in it at all. I didn't see any white smoke or smell any burning oil and it never leaked a drop, it's gone to the dealer for every oil change so I think on the last one they forgot to put oil back into it! They gave me a rental for a month and dropped a new motor in, and gave me a little transferable warranty card that says they will replace the motor again if it ever develops a knock. Not a penny out of my pocket but it left a bad taste in my mouth

Would there not be a little light saying no oil??? or is that only in the Hyundia performance guage package?

Back
Top Bottom