Ethics of selling a motorcycle. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ethics of selling a motorcycle.

@matt365 what are you gonna bring out on thursdays now? The gsxr was your go to!
This will need some work, and more than a few parts.
79e93c219db299042562c5567259d125.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Congrats Matt! It will be a hoot to ride once it's all fixed and ready.

Edit: how the hell is he planning to get insurance for it with just 2 years of riding experience? Am I missing something? If he is a Brampton rider, then that's a different story.

Edit: how the hell is he planning to get insurance for it with just 2 years of riding experience? Am I missing something? If he is a Brampton rider, then that's a different story.
In Ontario if they (company) insurers that model then you have to be offered insurance.

The street triple was expensive for him.

The gsxr is going to be worse.

$280 a month or so... he said something about getting it insured under his girlfriends name, but they live together, so it would be rated for him as a second rider, unless they excluded him from the policy. His mom lives a few blocks away, so perhaps he'll keep that mailing address.

Seemed a little convoluted.

He's in North York.

Congrats Matt on the Triumph!

For the original question, had a kid that wanted to buy my FZ1 after riding a Ninja 250 for half a season. Had a great chat with him and gave him some advice, but told him I wouldn't sell it to him.

Everyone is different and has different perspectives, but if I knowingly sold a bike to someone that I knew probably couldn't handle it and something happened I would feel responsible. The money just isn't worth the mental guilt.

For the original question, had a kid that wanted to buy my FZ1 after riding a Ninja 250 for half a season. Had a great chat with him and gave him some advice, but told him I wouldn't sell it to him.

Everyone is different and has different perspectives, but if I knowingly sold a bike to someone that I knew probably couldn't handle it and something happened I would feel responsible. The money just isn't worth the mental guilt.
Agreed.

The guy I sold the bike to seems responsible, and had put about 8,000km on the street triple. He wanted to try a sportbike.

I didn't feel bad about it.

Not all peaches and cream though. The street triple needs work.

As a plus, the street triple is $238.00 less per year on insurance.

No supersport surcharge.

On the negative, chain has a tight spot. There's $140

Ordered some triumph parts. They have to be ordered online from gpbikes. Ordered from England. Takes weeks to get here.

Battery is most likely pooched. $100+

Valve springs should be done. Got to get in there to find out.

Triumph has 60,000km on it.

My gsxr has 51,500km.

Gsxr is well maintained, but the triumph is a bit of an unknown.

Some plastic tabs need to be soldered back together.

Seat lock is m.i.a.

@bigpoppa @Evoex

Baller club question:

If I've bought, or traded 3 bikes this past year, (my new personal record).

Even though none were brand new.

I don't plan on getting rid of any of them in the foreseeable future.

I didn't lose a bunch of money on trade-in.

What are the pre-requisites to be a "baller"?

Do I currently count?

I'm definitely not throwing money around like you guys!

@bigpoppa @Evoex

Baller club question:

Do I currently count?

Were they Japanese or are you cool enough for Europe?

Jap. Euro. Euro.

Suzuki Dr200se

Husqvarna te300

Triumph street triple 675r

Am I in!

The only bike that survived "the culling" was my yamaha wr250x.

Jap. Euro. Euro.

Suzuki Dr200se

Husqvarna te300

The DR200SE is dragging down your average. There's probably some sort of baller cost/time formula. Like you can have cheap or basic bikes, but you can only own them for a couple of weeks?

The DR200SE is dragging down your average. There's probably some sort of baller cost/time formula. Like you can have cheap or basic bikes, but you can only own them for a couple of weeks?
I convinced my wife that the dr200 is "her bike". Cottage trail bike/buddy bike.

If I disown the dr200, perhaps my score won't be brought down.

Evo and bigP are "high dollar ballers", throwing around their duckets like its going out of style.

I'm a "value/small change .02c wanna-baller"

Ethics can be financially good.

In high school I built and flew model airplanes and there was a local hobby shop run by a guy that knew his stuff.

If a kid came in wanting to build the hottest kit on the shelf he would steer him to a staid, tough as nails model. He knew the kid would crash the hot model and walk away from the hobby.

Instead the kid learned on the tough buzzard, came back to buy the hotrod later and ten years further on was still in the hobby teaching other kids the ropes.

Ethics can be financially good.

In high school I built and flew model airplanes and there was a local hobby shop run by a guy that knew his stuff.

If a kid came in wanting to build the hottest kit on the shelf he would steer him to a staid, tough as nails model. He knew the kid would crash the hot model and walk away from the hobby.

Instead the kid learned on the tough buzzard, came back to buy the hotrod later and ten years further on was still in the hobby teaching other kids the ropes.
To touch on one of your points:

One of my offroad buddies. He has a couple friends that sold a tech company, and made out pretty well. They wanted to get into offroad riding. My friend was asking me what they should buy.

I told him "crf250f. Air cooled, indestructible, easy to ride, and cheap. There's a reason why Trail Tours has a fleet of them."

One guy listened.

The other decided a crf250rx was better, as he could "grow into it, and not lose interest after a year". Well, his clutch control is atrocious, so instead of getting seat time, he bought and had a shop install a Rekluse clutch. The lever is wicked stiff now. I rode his bike in some single track. It was set up WAY too stiff. Its a handful. Way too powerful for a complete beginner.

He will likely try my dr200 this coming season. Better to learn on a farm bike.

I think the crf250rx is going to put him off riding all together, if we're not careful.

The other guy is happy with his crf250f.

I had a similar thing a few years back. Kid wanted a cruiser, fresh G2 with no road experience. The MC instructor at a local rider training suggested no bigger than a middleweight cruiser for a noob.

The kid was drooling over an M80 I had for sale. Came with dad, cash and a trailer. Took the sash, and handed him the keys. He struggled turning the bike around and pushing it to the trailer. Dad was looking worried so I hauled out a Virago 250.

Kid pushed it around, looked at dad and said ‘I think I should start here’. He took the Virago.

Sold my 2011 Ossa trials bike a few years ago. (company went belly up) young guy that bought it explained that he planned to ride it on his property. Told him that it was a full competition bike and NOT a trail bike. Bad idea. And explained that parts would be very difficult and expensive to get.I got what i was asking for it.
No doubt in my mind that it's sitting in the back of a shed collecting dust.
No guilt.

Jap. Euro. Euro.

Suzuki Dr200se

Husqvarna te300

Am I in!

The only bike that survived "the culling" was my yamaha wr250x.

Another fellow street triple rider 😍

Sold my 2011 Ossa trials bike a few years ago. (company went belly up) young guy that bought it explained that he planned to ride it on his property. Told him that it was a full competition bike and NOT a trail bike. Bad idea. And explained that parts would be very difficult and expensive to get.I got what i was asking for it.
No doubt in my mind that it's sitting in the back of a shed collecting dust.
No guilt.
You warned the buyer, and they still took it.

Same with the gsxr. He quoted the insurance. He's willing to pay the price. When I told him what I was paying (less than a quarter the price he was quoted) he was no doubt surprised.
20 years older. Geographical location. Licensed for 24 years. No convictions. It is what it is.

Pay to play I suppose.

@bigpoppa @Evoex

Baller club question:

Do I currently count?

Baller is more of a state of mind than anything…I think you qualify.

Back
Top Bottom