Employment recruiters | GTAMotorcycle.com

Employment recruiters

AngeloX19

Site Supporter
Who's had experience with this process? I had a recruiter contact me for a position with a large firm and it sounds intriguing, but I've never been through that process. I'm guessing his pay will come from the company in question? He mentioned that they'll provide coaching along the way for the interviews. He picked my name off linkedin likely as I've applied to a few postions there.

It's the same process as getting a job by any other means. There's no money out of your pocket.
The major difference is you will interview with people at the company, but all other communication, negotiation, etc is with the recruiter.
They take down either a finders fee or get a scrape on your salary for a certain period of time. You won't see any of that. You get what you are offered. They make 20 to 30% of your salary and pushing for higher pay comes out of that. They don't go back to the company and say you want more, they just eat the reduced margin if they feel like it's worth taking the hit on you to get further business with the company (placing more people gets them more cred with the client).
Be careful when signing anything with them though. The like to toss in little clauses saying things like you are not ever allowed to get a job with any other recruiter in the same industry ever and other dumb things. It's all negotiable so read the contracts.

It's the same process as getting a job by any other means. There's no money out of your pocket.
The major difference is you will interview with people at the company, but all other communication, negotiation, etc is with the recruiter.
They take down either a finders fee or get a scrape on your salary for a certain period of time. You won't see any of that. You get what you are offered. They make 20 to 30% of your salary and pushing for higher pay comes out of that. They don't go back to the company and say you want more, they just eat the reduced margin if they feel like it's worth taking the hit on you to get further business with the company (placing more people gets them more cred with the client).
Be careful when signing anything with them though. The like to toss in little clauses saying things like you are not ever allowed to get a job with any other recruiter in the same industry ever and other dumb things. It's all negotiable so read the contracts.

Worked with lots of recruiters, I have never seen that kind of exclusivity clause. As a matter of fact, I have never signed a single piece of paper produced by a recruiter.
The way I see it, they need competition to get their ***** in gear.
I have definately negotiated both salary and other benefits, such as moving expenses, through recruiters.

I work through a headhunter, which is the same premise. The only contractual thing I had to sign that limited who I can/cannot work for was in regards to taking full-time employment with a client they referred me to initially. I think it's limited to 24 months. So if a studio I worked for 2 years ago gave me a call and offered me a full time (or even contract or freelance) position that cuts out the headhunter, it's perfectly legal.

You can have a lawyer look over a recruiter contract before signing. A friend of mine always does that and a recruiter has never given him a hard time for it.

Thanks for the insights people.

Back
Top Bottom