electrical problem? | GTAMotorcycle.com

electrical problem?

RedlineTherapy

So here's the story.
I picked up a bike that needed a new battery. I bought the equivalent battery (brand new) from canadian tire (YUASA is the OEM one) and charged it with a trickle that I also bought at canadian tire. I charged it until the device told me the battery was charged (took about 10 hours). I plug it into the bike, but when i turn the key to the ignition position, it make a loud buzzing noise exactly the same as the one you hear when the battery is dead, only this time my bike starts anyways, albeit, with a little bit of help from choke and throttle. Why does it make the noise even though the battery is charged (or says so). should i check my connections? something wrong with the relay?
i know my charging system on the bike works because my headlights get brighter when i rev the engine when i have my brake and signals going at the same time.
help?

Pretty hard to diagnose without actually being there to hear it.
Does it still make the noise? Did it do it for a few seconds then never again?
Does this bike have fuel injection? A fuel pump?

Pretty hard to diagnose without actually being there to hear it.
Does it still make the noise? Did it do it for a few seconds then never again?
Does this bike have fuel injection? A fuel pump?

Makes the noise every time I turn it on. Only for a few seconds.
The bike is carbed.

Whats the voltage across the battery?

Did you purchase the bike like this? How do you know if it only needed a battery and nothing else?

Makes the noise every time I turn it on. Only for a few seconds.
The bike is carbed.

What sort of bike? Some carbed bikes run an electric fuel pump. As they are electric diaphragm pumps they make a clicking type noise rather than a buzz from higher pressure fuel injection pumps.

Why don't you give a little more information?

everything was fine before i changed the battery. it started immediately with no problems. after battery changed then I got problems. I cant measure the voltage across because i dont have a multimeter.

Bike is a 90 yamaha FZR250.

I don't know the 250 but the larger FZR's of that era certainly ran electric diaphragm pumps.

Not to hijack the thread . But a side question. Why would a new battery have to be charged? I have changed my car battery many times and never had to charge the new one. Just threw it and went. is there something different for motorcycles?

Not to hijack the thread . But a side question. Why would a new battery have to be charged? I have changed my car battery many times and never had to charge the new one. Just threw it and went. is there something different for motorcycles?

Most batteries don't come fully charged. Most bikes have barely adequate alternators to save weight/cost/space. Putting a tired battery in a bike and asking the bike to charge it isn't doing you any favours. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just not the best idea.

Most batteries don't come fully charged. Most bikes have barely adequate alternators to save weight/cost/space. Putting a tired battery in a bike and asking the bike to charge it isn't doing you any favours. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just not the best idea.

Actually most car batteries are made on this side of the big pond and are filled with acid and get fully charged before leaving the factory.
Whereas most bike batteries are made in Asia, NOT filled with acid, therefore don't get charged before they leave the factory.

For the OP:
If the "buzzing" is coming from the tank; it's your fuelpump.
If the "buzzing" is coming from under the side cover; it's your starter relay.
You can't really do much without at least a multi-meter.

everything was fine before i changed the battery. it started immediately with no problems. after battery changed then I got problems. I cant measure the voltage across because i dont have a multimeter.

Bike is a 90 yamaha FZR250.

FZR's of that generation use a diaphragm fuel pump - a "clicker". Whenever there is demand for fuel from the carbs and the fuel pump has power, it clicks merrily away as each click pumps more fuel to the carbs.

When you switch the key on, the fuel pump is powered up for 5 seconds then switches off. When the engine is running then the fuel pump gets power constantly unless the engine stalls, then the fuel pump switches off to avoid contributing to a fuel leak. If you switch the key on and the carbs are full, no clicking.

If this is consistent with what your bike is doing, then the clicking noise is the completely normal noise of the fuel pump.

I don't know the 250 but the larger FZR's of that era certainly ran electric diaphragm pumps.

I was riding for quite a bit, and then I parked it and turned it completely off petcock and everything. Switched the key to ignition, and no noise! I'm thinking it is the pump.

FZR's of that generation use a diaphragm fuel pump - a "clicker". Whenever there is demand for fuel from the carbs and the fuel pump has power, it clicks merrily away as each click pumps more fuel to the carbs.

When you switch the key on, the fuel pump is powered up for 5 seconds then switches off. When the engine is running then the fuel pump gets power constantly unless the engine stalls, then the fuel pump switches off to avoid contributing to a fuel leak. If you switch the key on and the carbs are full, no clicking.

If this is consistent with what your bike is doing, then the clicking noise is the completely normal noise of the fuel pump.

Yes this is very much consistent with what it's doing! Awesome! Thanks team!

Back
Top Bottom