Electrical damage from moisture/dehumidifier? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical damage from moisture/dehumidifier?

tsdexter

My house flooded over the weekend so I'm currently in the middle of a $20k+ insurance claim. When the estimator was over and came into the garage to check everything he joked "sorry man we're going to have to write off the bike", it was funny at the time, however when I was out after dark last night I realized my headlights no longer work, both the high and low beam don't come on, and even when I switch on the high beam, not even the dash light indicator comes on (is that normal if it was just burnt out?)

So I've got a few questions:

1. Can excessive moisture/humidity cause electrical damage?
2. Can an industrial/high power dehumidifier running 24 hours * 3 days right beside the bike cause electrical damage?
3. Is the bulb just burnt out/What are the chances both bulbs burn at the exact same time when I never even use high beam (unless it's designed that way?) and would that cause the high beam indicator to not work as well?

And most importantly:

4. Is there any other damage/potential damage that can be caused by high moisture/humidity or an industrial dehumidifier that I should be aware of/checking for before my claim is closed?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

My house flooded over the weekend so I'm currently in the middle of a $20k+ insurance claim. When the estimator was over and came into the garage to check everything he joked "sorry man we're going to have to write off the bike", it was funny at the time, however when I was out after dark last night I realized my headlights no longer work, both the high and low beam don't come on, and even when I switch on the high beam, not even the dash light indicator comes on (is that normal if it was just burnt out?)

So I've got a few questions:

1. Can excessive moisture/humidity cause electrical damage?
2. Can an industrial/high power dehumidifier running 24 hours * 3 days right beside the bike cause electrical damage?
3. Is the bulb just burnt out/What are the chances both bulbs burn at the exact same time when I never even use high beam (unless it's designed that way?) and would that cause the high beam indicator to not work as well?

And most importantly:

4. Is there any other damage/potential damage that can be caused by high moisture/humidity or an industrial dehumidifier that I should be aware of/checking for before my claim is closed?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

It could have caused issues corrosion on conections or some of your fuses could have poped. It all should be fairly easy to trace and fix up. I dont see how a dehumidifier could cause any more issues but i will leave that to someone with experience with the units. Could be the bulbs, connectors or fuses.

I would suggest you check and clean all your electrical connections..Bullets or otherwise...and fuses. I would also suggest washing the bike and polihsing all the crome parts to prevent rust..dont forget to check the switches inside the controles as well.

have you checked your battery/!?!

Motorcycles can go through rain...heck i've ridden my bike in florida in 90% humidity through torrential downpour for 2 days straight.

Its as easy as go throught a few steps to figure out what its not running.

have you checked your battery/!?!

Motorcycles can go through rain...heck i've ridden my bike in florida in 90% humidity through torrential downpour for 2 days straight.

Its as easy as go throught a few steps to figure out what its not running.

I don't think the battery is an issue, turn signals are working, at least on the front - haven't checked the back yet.

I'm perfectly handy when it comes to DIY, I can follow instructions and do all the minor work (oil changes, chain maintenance, install slip on, minor electrical) but on my bike, I prefer to leave the critical stuff to a pro... For example, I wouldn't want to start fumbling around with taking apart the handle controls and messing anything up.

Anyway, the reason I ask here, is because if there is potential for issue, then I can just take it to my motorcycle mechanic and have a full inspection/work up done that the insurance would pay for... I'm already well past my deductible, so I might as well.

PS. I know it can get wet, I ride in the rain too.

was the bike in the flooded area of the house? If yes call your insurance co immediately and report it and get it on the claim. No sense messing about, thats why we pay insurance, well .... some of us.

Was the bike submerged?? Could you give us a indication of how much water was around.it?

Last edited:
I don't think the battery is an issue, turn signals are working, at least on the front - haven't checked the back yet.

I'm perfectly handy when it comes to DIY, I can follow instructions and do all the minor work (oil changes, chain maintenance, install slip on, minor electrical) but on my bike, I prefer to leave the critical stuff to a pro... For example, I wouldn't want to start fumbling around with taking apart the handle controls and messing anything up.

Anyway, the reason I ask here, is because if there is potential for issue, then I can just take it to my motorcycle mechanic and have a full inspection/work up done that the insurance would pay for... I'm already well past my deductible, so I might as well.

PS. I know it can get wet, I ride in the rain too.

it might be as easy as a blown fluse. Have you tried to start the bike? Does she start?

Start with the simple stuff.
Are the bulbs good (remove them and check them). If you're not sure, remove the bulb and apply 12v to them to see if they light up (no fingers..oils will wreck them).
If the bulbs are good, re-install and check again (maybe they were loose). Spray wd40 into the connectors first (wd stands for water displacement, it's great stuff).
Still no lights..Save some time at this point. remove the bulbs and test the connector with a multimeter for voltage. No voltage..check the fuses (or relay). Fuse/relay bad then replace. Fuse/relay good, then check for power at the fuse. no power the problem is battery or switch. power and the problem is between the fuse and the light.
Electrical problems are fun...not
Being around moisture the way you've described usually won't cause an issue, and unless the humidifier was putting out crazy static charge your fine.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom